Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 361

Thread: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

  1. #121
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I don't know enough about the mechanics of what constitutes testimony and what doesn't. Maybe she didn't plead the 5th correctly, I'll leave that question for the constitutional experts.

    She still had/has a right to plead the 5th, and it does'nt mean anything other than she thought it better to take the public hit to her reputation by pleading the 5th than it would be to testify.
    The idea is that you can't say "I'm innocent" and then refuse to answer questions regarding your claim. If she was refusing to testify then she needed to stay off her soapbox and state that decision from the outset.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    she now can be charged with contempt of congress if she still refuses to testify. she waved her right when she made that opening statement and they can question her about anything she mentioned in that statement
    She can be charged with murder, but that doesn't mean squat. If she is refusing to testify, they can't beat it out of her legally. They charge her. If she is convicted, she appeals and it gets over-turned. Expensive, but that is how it would shake out. As the former House counsel said, a talking invocation is an invocation. There isn't a magic sentence that determines what is or is not an invocation. The GOP just has a stick up its ass. This is not some rare thing. People do authenticate things for the Courts without waiving their right not to testify in a trial as to their guilt or innocence, especially when there are multiple defendants in a case. This is hardly a Gotcha moment that the bloodthirsty want it to be. They need to offer her immunity. If they make her the sacrificial lamb then the investigation dies in its tracks.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The idea is that you can't say "I'm innocent" and then refuse to answer questions regarding your claim. If she was refusing to testify then she needed to stay off her soapbox and state that decision from the outset.
    she now can be questioned on anything she mentioned in that opening statement and she mentioned everything that was relevant to the investigation. the question that has me baffled. where her lawyers that stupid? you learn about the 5th amendment first year of law school

  4. #124
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    It is utterly amazing how many continue to cling to the silly idea that all of this is just political games and chicanery.

    The shameless corruption and arrogance before us is unprecedented.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    She can be charged with murder, but that doesn't mean squat. If she is refusing to testify, they can't beat it out of her legally. They charge her. If she is convicted, she appeals and it gets over-turned. Expensive, but that is how it would shake out. As the former House counsel said, a talking invocation is an invocation. There isn't a magic sentence that determines what is or is not an invocation. The GOP just has a stick up its ass. This is not some rare thing. People do authenticate things for the Courts without waiving their right not to testify in a trial as to their guilt or innocence, especially when there are multiple defendants in a case. This is hardly a Gotcha moment that the bloodthirsty want it to be. They need to offer her immunity. If they make her the sacrificial lamb then the investigation dies in its tracks.
    you don't understand do you? when you are charges with contempt you can be thrown and jail and you can be held indefinitely till you agree to testify

  6. #126
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    you don't understand do you? when you are charges with contempt you can be thrown and jail and you can be held indefinitely till you agree to testify
    Well you clearly are the one who does not understand. 2 U.S.C.A. 192: "any person who is summoned before Congress who "willfully makes default, or who, having appeared, refuses to answer any question pertinent to the question under inquiry" shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a maximum $1,000 fine and 12 month imprisonment." That doesn't sound so indefinite to me. The 5th Amendment is pretty damned sacrosanct in law independent of political bias so I doubt she would get the year. You seem to forget that Eric Holder has been found in contempt of Congress, and the last time I checked, he is still walking around a free man.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,246

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    She can be charged with murder, but that doesn't mean squat. If she is refusing
    to testify, they can't beat it out of her legally. They charge her. If she is convicted, she appeals and it gets over-turned. Expensive, but that is how it would shake out. As the former House counsel said, a talking invocation is an invocation. There isn't a magic sentence that determines what is or is not an invocation. The GOP just has a stick up its ass. This is not some rare thing. People do authenticate things for the Courts without waiving their right not to testify in a trial as to their guilt or innocence, especially when there are multiple defendants in a case. This is hardly a Gotcha moment that the bloodthirsty want it to be. They need to offer her immunity. If they make her the sacrificial lamb then the investigation dies in its tracks.
    This is not isolated to the GOP, not when thr Senate is conducting hearings also.

    How many times do we need to here top officials in the IRS and DOJ say "...I dont know ? " before someone demands to know why they are either so corrupt or so incompetent ?

    Truth is, the IRS exposed this on their own with a set-up question. NOW theyr'e trying to play dumb because we and members from both sides of the aisle are not satisfied with their claims of total ignorance ?

  8. #128
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    I suspect that she was sending a message to the WH that she won't take the fall alone, and a message to Issa that she'll deal if she gets the right terms. This was a bad day for the WH.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #129
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I suspect that she was sending a message to the WH that she won't take the fall alone, and a message to Issa that she'll deal if she gets the right terms. This was a bad day for the WH.
    You may very well have nailed it there.

  10. #130
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You may very well have nailed it there.
    Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •