Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 273

Thread: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

  1. #191
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I don't think so, especially for a secret CIA mission.
    You may believe what you find most convenient.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #192
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I don't think so, especially for a secret CIA mission.
    Whatever they may have been doing, they were Americans in country under the US Chief of Mission's authority. They would have expected help to be on the way.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #193
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    All of what you say could very well be true. However, if it is, it begs the question why the administration hasn't made this point in the previous eight months as well as in the congressional hearings and in White House press conferences. Why has the State Department and Hillary Clinton and others suggested that it was a Republican congress that cut State Department security funding that was the cause for lax security in Libya in general and Benghazi in particular.

    Additionally, it does not excuse the continued need to mislead the public about the known details of what happened that night.
    Throwing Stevens under the bus for his own death would not help, even though it is clearly true that even leaving the Tripoli Embassy was a huge security risk regardless of any other facts.

    Most Ambassadors are kept on a tighter security leash by State, but Stevens was so well respected, he was allowed much greater leeway.

    No one wants to say it, and I don't blame them, it would sound political, it would sound like blaming the dead, but it is true, Stevens put himself in harms way in Benghazi and was under no obligation to do so.

    We will not see this assertion coming from the WH or the GOP witch hunters even though it is true. I think the GOP is trying to push the WH into saying something like this, knowing it is true, and knowing how bad this truth will sound politically.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not believe any amount of people committing suicide with firearms justifies requiring firearm sellers to preach to customers about suicide regardless if it would or wouldn't save those who commit suicide.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You may believe what you find most convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Whatever they may have been doing, they were Americans in country under the US Chief of Mission's authority. They would have expected help to be on the way.
    If you want to document CIA operatives/agents expecting rescues by US military when operating in sovereign states, go for it. Otherwise, you are simply going for irrational emotion based rhetoric.

    PS, again, we are discussing the attack on the CIA operation, not the attack on Stevens compound, so your US chief of missions argument does not apply.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 05-19-13 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #195
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    If you want to document CIA operatives/agents expecting rescues by US military when operating in sovereign states, go for it. Otherwise, you are simply going for irrational emotion based rhetoric.

    PS, again, we are discussing the attack on the CIA operation, not the attack on Stevens compound, so your US chief of missions argument does not apply.
    All official Americans, of all agencies and all duties, are under the authority of the Chief of Mission.

    “Country teams” in embassies are made up of key figures from the State Department and other agencies who work under the direction of the ambassador and meet regularly to share information and coordinate their actions. This practice has been followed since May 29, 1961, when President John F. Kennedy wrote to all U.S. chiefs of mission saying, “You are in charge of the entire United States Diplomatic Mission and I shall expect you to supervise all of its operations. The Mission includes not only the personnel of the Department of State and the Foreign Service, but also the representatives of all other United States agencies which have programs or activities in [your country].”
    Last edited by Jack Hays; 05-19-13 at 03:35 PM.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Follow this link and see were it takes you. There are many embedded links.

    It's Time To Discuss The Secret CIA Operation At The Heart Of The Benghazi Scandal
    Read more: The Secret CIA Mission In Benghazi - Business Insider
    You mean the gunrunning?

  7. #197
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    All official Americans, of all agencies and all duties, are under the authority of the Chief of Mission.
    Show me that they are in authoritative charge of CIA secret operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Did ya'll see Dan Pfeiffer doing the full Sunday Susan Rice today.
    Yeah ... he's honest ... uh huh.

  9. #199
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,862
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Show me that they are in authoritative charge of CIA secret operations.
    “Country teams” in embassies are made up of key figures from the State Department and other agencies who work under the direction of the ambassador and meet regularly to share information and coordinate their actions. This practice has been followed since May 29, 1961, when President John F. Kennedy wrote to all U.S. chiefs of mission saying, “You are in charge of the entire United States Diplomatic Mission and I shall expect you to supervise all of its operations. The Mission includes not only the personnel of the Department of State and the Foreign Service, but also the representatives of all other United States agencies which have programs or activities in [your country].”
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #200
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Mcclatchy: amabasador Stevens twice said no to military offers of more security

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    “Country teams” in embassies ....
    And again, as I tried to make clear to you previously, you were and still are conflating the Steven compound with the CIA compound, they are 2 two different installations, 1.2 miles apart, with separate operations and commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •