Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 217

Thread: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    So...no left leaning organizations can use the word "patriot"? That's the part I've yet to understand.
    ? but I found this part interesting:

    The Determinations Unit developed and used inappropriate criteria to identify applications from organizations with the words Tea Party in their names. These applications (hereafter referred to as potential political cases)13 were forwarded to a team of specialists14 for review. Subsequently, the Determinations Unit expanded the criteria to inappropriately include organizations with other specific names (Patriots and 9/12) or policy positions. While the criteria used by the Determinations Unit specified particular organization names, the team of specialists was also processing applications from groups with names other than those identified in the criteria. The inappropriate and changing criteria may have led to inconsistent treatment of organizations applying for tax-exempt status. For example, we identified some organizationsí applications with evidence of significant political campaign intervention that were not forwarded to the team of specialists for processing but should have been. We also identified applications that were forwarded to the team of specialists but did not have indications of significant political campaign intervention. All applications that were forwarded to the team of specialists experienced substantial delays in processing.
    It would appear that there were other groups who should have been scrutinized but weren't. There are no specific names so I'm not sure but suffice to say if there were 'left leaning' groups the IRS would certainly claim such as it would at least redeem them somewhat.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Confused...first you say this:

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    It is not obama, it is the IRS...
    then this:

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    ...this has nothing to do with the IRS at all...
    huh?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #23
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Still as gullible as ever. this has nothing to do with the IRS at all, and the more you fakers speak it becomes much more obvious you don't care about the corruption in the IRS as long as it happens to liberals and on a republican watch.
    Since I'm sure you're privy to secret knowledge I'll just wait for you to reveal what it's "really" about.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #24
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,766

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Something to keep in mind. Steve Miller, that just resigned, was not in charge of the IRS when the extra scrutiny and targeting began. That was Doug Shulman...of course Miller knew about the targeting for about a year or so.

    The question is whether this is an institutional thing or not.

    And of course there is this:
    Tim Carney: The IRS is deeply political

    In the past three election cycles, the Center for Responsive Politics' database shows about $474,000 in political donations by individuals listing "IRS" or "Internal Revenue Service" as their employer.

    This money heavily favors Democrats: $247,000 to $145,000, with the rest going to political action committees. (Oddly, half of those GOP donations come from only two IRS employees, one in Houston and one in Annandale, Va.)

    IRS employees also gave $67,000 to the PAC of the National Treasury Employees Union, which in turn gave more than 96 percent of its contributions to Democrats. Add the PAC cash to the individual donations and IRS employees favor Democrats 2-to-1.

    The Cincinnati office where the political targeting took place is much more partisan, judging by FEC filings. More than 75 percent of the campaign contributions from that office in the past three elections went to Democrats. In 2012, every donation traceable to employees at that office went to either President Obama or liberal Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio.

    The IRS officials whose names appear in the IG report are also Democrats with partisan histories. William Wilkins, IRS general counsel and one of the agency's two explicitly political appointees, is a former Democratic congressional aide, lobbyist (clients included the Swiss Bankers Association), and Democratic donor.

    Joseph H. Grant, who ran the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division that includes the Cincinnati office, is a former Democratic staffer on the House Ways & Means Committee.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    A better comeback would have been, you have an effigy of obama hanging from a tree in your front yard don't you. No comment.
    Oh, I figured that would be obvious of any Obama hater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    ? but I found this part interesting:
    I keep reading how conservatives were targeted because any group with the name "patriot" was automatically flagged (as well as Tea Party). What I don't understand is how "patriot" is a conservative word.

    It would appear that there were other groups who should have been scrutinized but weren't.
    Exactly. This should not be made into a political scandal, and those who are trying to turn it into one are doing so for selfish reasons, not out of any real indignation. The number of filings DOUBLED in the two years between 2010 and 2012, which just so happened to coincide with the Citizen's United verdict. I think a poster in another thread said it best. I usually have an incredibly high opinion of myself, but even I don't think I could say it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Actually, the questionaire is completely valid. Remember, we're talking about applications to be a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. This distinction is reserved for social welfare organizations. These organizations can be issue oriented, but are barred from being primarily political. For example, the NRA and AARP are legitimate 501(c)(4) organizations.

    These groups should have been filed as 527 non-profits. These groups are allowed to be primariliy political in nature and are easier to apply for.

    However, 527's have to release their donors. The reason so many conservative political groups filed as 501(c)(4)s was because they were trying to hide their donors. The IRS was 100% wrong to target groups that had tea party in their name just because they had tea party in their name, but were most likely 100% right to target these groups.

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    The media in America is perpetually bi-polar and has a serious case of ADD. Perhaps you can relate.
    Why do you believe I'd be able to relate to that?

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Oh, I figured that would be obvious of any Obama hater.
    I keep reading how conservatives were targeted because any group with the name "patriot" was automatically flagged (as well as Tea Party). What I don't understand is how "patriot" is a conservative word.
    I don't either...but it's surely a point to ponder, isn't it, given that this was a one of the red-flag words.

    Of course, so was "Constitution" and "constitutional."

  8. #28
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Have to say, remembering back, pretty much every presidential admin in my lifetime (maybe not Carter) was at least accused of using the IRS to go after their enemies. JFK and Johnson did it, Nixon did it, Reagan probably did it, Bush 1 was the ex-CIA head, chances are good he did it, Clinton did it for sure, Bush maybe did it and now we know Obama has it in his toolkit. Pretty farking disgusting.

  9. #29
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Oh, I figured that would be obvious of any Obama hater.
    I keep reading how conservatives were targeted because any group with the name "patriot" was automatically flagged (as well as Tea Party). What I don't understand is how "patriot" is a conservative word.

    Exactly. This should not be made into a political scandal, and those who are trying to turn it into one are doing so for selfish reasons, not out of any real indignation. The number of filings DOUBLED in the two years between 2010 and 2012, which just so happened to coincide with the Citizen's United verdict. I think a poster in another thread said it best. I usually have an incredibly high opinion of myself, but even I don't think I could say it better.
    Keep trying to push that line.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #30
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Acting IRS commissioner resigns in wake of agency scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I don't either...but it's surely a point to ponder, isn't it, given that this was a one of the red-flag words.
    It is a point to ponder.

    I do not doubt there was targeting of conservative groups. My feelings on this though are there is nothing wrong with targeting groups who are trying to file against the rules. Let's just make sure we're getting all of them, not some of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Keep trying to push that line.
    I wait for the day where you respond to me with something relevant to the discussion. It hasn't happened yet, but I certainly believe you can do it if you just give it a chance.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •