Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    wapo sunday:

    Many small-business owners worry that a new tax on insurance providers in the health-care law will mean higher premiums for them, undermining the law’s capacity to lower their health-care costs.

    Starting next year, the federal government will charge a new fee on health insurance firms based on the plans they sell to individuals and companies, known as the fully insured market. Meanwhile, the provision exempts health-insurance plans that are set up and operated by businesses themselves (the self-insured market).

    Revenue from the tax will help pay for the health care overhaul, which is expected to extend coverage to millions of uninsured or underinsured Americans.

    However, because most large corporations self-insure their workforce, experts warn that insurance companies will pass the costs directly to small businesses. The vast majority purchase coverage in the fully insured market.

    “Insurers have confirmed back to me that the tax will be passed down to consumers, and the direct impact will be staggering,” Ryan Thorn, owner of a small insurance planning firm near Salt Lake City, told lawmakers during a congressional hearing Thursday. “It disproportionately hits individuals and small-business owners, the people who have been hurt most by these challenging times.”

    During his testimony, Thorn read letters from his small-business clients about the likely impact of the new health insurance tax. One wrote that the tax “scares the daylights out of us,” while another warned that it would likely “hasten the decision to move away from providing group coverage for our employees.”

    The Department of Health and Human Services reports that among private businesses that offer health insurance, three of every four firms with between 100 and 500 employees purchase coverage in the fully insured market. The number jumped to 87 percent for firms with fewer than 100 workers.

    On the other hand, 82 percent of large firms (500 or more employees) run their own health insurance programs.

    Robert Zirkelback, a spokesman for America’s Health Insurance Plans, a trade group for insurance providers, acknowledged that small firms will likely “shoulder most of the burden” of the tax. Meanwhile, a new minimum coverage requirement for employers with 50 or more workers will be broader than what some of them already offer, he said, which could further increase their costs as they are forced to supplement their current plans.

    The concerns from small business owners and insurance companies have prompted lawmakers to introduce bills that would repeal the health insurance tax — one from Sens. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) and another from Reps. Charles W. Boustany Jr. (R-La.) and Jim Matheson (D-Utah).
    Health insurance tax 'scares the daylights' out of some small-business owners - The Washington Post

    how do you survive a train wreck?

    liberal ben cardin from maryland is worried about the 25% premium hikes his committed-to-obamacare state is about to experience

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/us...ref=robertpear

    shaheen in hampshire sees employers cutting hours below 30

    progressive harkin from iowa is "beyond upset" that the wellness and prevention programs are being treated like the caboose, in that the white house is putting em last for some up front money for education, outreach, salesmanship, propaganda

    the biggie, bitches baucus, is the one year delay to the shop implementation, the "thriving, competitive exchanges" promised so heartily to small biz

    USAToday: Feds delay small-business health care program

    just another promise the presidential prevaricator couldn't find his way to keeping

    79 senators killed the device tax in march

    Senate votes to kill Obamacare-related tax - Washington Times

    how can you work comprehensive reform when half the bill you had to pass to find out what's in it is void on arrival?

    is this how lbj did the voting rights act, is this what social security legislation and implementation looked like in 1935?

    the candidate covenanted, he'd cut costs $2500 per family

    he'd bend the cost trajectory

    mr cardin apparently thought he meant he'd bend it down

    not schumer

    Schumer Admits Health Insurance Premiums Have Increased "Because Of Obamacare" | RealClearPolitics

    why did the chair of finance, obamacare author max baucus, call his creation a train wreck?

    why did subcommittee on health care chair, jay rockefeller, uber lib, say it's "beyond comprehension?"

    'Obamacare' creator Sen. Jay Rockefeller now says law 'beyond comprehension' - Washington Times

    is it cuzza fox news?

    why are baucus and rockefeller (and harkin) retiring?

    why did harry reid see baucus' raise?

    Reid: More funding needed to prevent ObamaCare from becoming 'train wreck' | TheHill

    you're not gonna get that ante, mr leader, you really shouldn't have put yourself in a spot where you're reliant on republican enthusiasm to prevent a derailment

    choo choo!
    Last edited by The Prof; 05-15-13 at 03:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    same beating, different dead horse.

    In other news congressional republicans are shooting for a record with 40 failed tries in 4 years to revoke Obamacare through the legislature. Never let it be said that republicans can take a hint.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    same beating, different dead horse.

    In other news congressional republicans are shooting for a record with 40 failed tries in 4 years to revoke Obamacare through the legislature. Never let it be said that republicans can take a hint.
    I hope your premiums skyrocket, but no doubt you're one of those getting free healthcare.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I hope your premiums skyrocket, but no doubt you're one of those getting free healthcare.
    Was the Prof getting tired of the corpse so now it is your turn?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    It's not just small businesses who are being affected....

    Last Saturday the Union I am part of finally came to a Tentative Agreement on a new contract with the Company I work for. The majority of the time over the previous week had been spent arguing over our healthcare. The intent of the Company was to try to save $2.4 MILLION dollars a year on a healthcare plan that currently costs them about $22 Million a year (or so we are told). I won't document all of the changes that they had suggested but they wanted a 50% increase in the employee contribution percentage, no first-dollar coverage (individual and family deductables), and significant increases to co-pays. They also wanted to get rid of both current providers to bring in a cheaper alternative.

    This is a major utility company that has posted RECORD profits over the last half decade. In the last year they had finally brought several other union groups UP TO the health care percentage that we've been paying since 1999. Their so-called "experts" couldn't answer the most basic questions we had about their proposal. They couldn't even come up with the same numbers we did when running the cost extimates for the different proposals on the table. The condescending and insulting tone at the table when it came to the idea that we were not interested in giving away our insurance plans and benefits was astonishing. These people truly believed that we should and would be willing to just throw away plans we've had for more than a decade simply because the Company wanted to avoid potential issues with Obamacare. They didn't even offer us anything in return. In the end we gave them concessions amounting to a little over $500,000.00 a year and had offered them concessions of just over $1.2 Million per year on healthcare, provided agreements could be reached on other issues (which they rejected).

  6. #6
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,662

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Tererun, you offer absolutely zero counter argument to the articles in the New York Times and Washington Post, just derision and limp attempts at misdirection. Do you actually have a real counter argument here?

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Never let it be said
    shut up and link

    Obamacare official: “Let’s just make sure it’s not a third-world experience”

    third world, huh?

    straight from the horse's mouth

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    shut up and link

    Obamacare official: “Let’s just make sure it’s not a third-world experience”

    third world, huh?

    straight from the horse's mouth
    Yes, the news which is so desperate to predict the end of the world they continually blow things well out of proportion. Since it was mentioned Obamacare has been heralded as the end of the US. Still, years later like most end of the world scenarios we are still here and actually doing better than when it was passed. But still people love to beat the dead horse and fantasize about how the earth will end. you know the waitress i met last night at Ihop legitimately thought it would be zombies, and she had news stories to back up her thoughts too. Even the government is afraid of zombies attacking, so i guess that means it must be true because the news fantasized about it and the government mentioned it.

    I am going to tell you a little secret which is why the US is not going to collapse because of this. It is called the system of wealth. Without the system who says that people like donald trump and the kock brothers are better than the rest of us? Without the systems in place to tell us all they have the best stuff and are the most awesome people because they are rich the world might just come up with another system which they do not control with their banker buddies and politicians. They control the system, the power, and it works for them. Not to mention the system is basically imaginary. The only reason they have wealth is because we all believe in the system that says they have wealth. None of that system is created by god or any power that resides beyond our planet and it's human inhabitants. There is no cosmic wealth counting system. It is all a social contract we agree to, and most of us do it because if we do not abide by the rules of ownership, wealth, and power they throw us in jail or shoot us.

    So they are never actually going to collapse the system which works for them. Your doom and gloom for the US is stupid because they will never let it collapse. It is too big of a market. Sop the end of the world is coming because of obamacare is BS. i don't care how many sources you have spouting it might happen. The rich will never let it happen via a philisophical collapse. They have not even proven Obamacare is going to actually make things worse. The only thing the news and doomsayers have done is to show us we cannot trust them because they have been screaming like chicken little along with their p[arrots that the world is going to end since the day obamacare was proposed, and it has yet to materialize in any way.

    It is chicken little beating a dead horse with opinion pieces that the US is all going to be destroyed by obamacare, and it is not. Why don't you just bring up Y2k or the end of the mayan calender again? I understand it se3lls news to predict the end of the world, and the conspiracy nuts love when obama is involved, but your pre-occupation with it all is not actually proof anything other than your idea of the world is in jeopardy.

    Now please offer us up some actual proof the US is failing because it would seem to me that the stock market is at record levels, businesses are still hiring, and we are all going to go on existing unless some physical threat comes along and wipes out the planet. There is more evidence texas could blow up and kill us all than obamacare doing it.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Tererun, you offer absolutely zero counter argument to the articles in the New York Times and Washington Post, just derision and limp attempts at misdirection. Do you actually have a real counter argument here?
    opinion pieces are not facts. Our markets are either returning or at record levels. There are more jobs every month unlike before obamacare was passed when we were losing jobs every month. So can you please point to something other than a partisan reporters opinion the US is collapsing from obamacare? I am very happy you think the newspapers are the word of god, but they are opinions. They are opinions that seem to even ignore that the market is up at record levels. yes, if they predict a fall in the market every day they will be correct one of these days. that doesn't mean they knew it or even made an educated guess. they just got really stupidly lucky in betting on it happening someday. i could go into a casino and play roulette and pick 0 every time. i will eventually be correct, but I will be wrong statistically 1/38 times which is a terrible record. that is a better record than these news people have because they have been predicting obamacare will ruin us all since it's proposal, and yet jobs have been created every month it has been in effect, our stock market is at record levels, we have powerful corporations doing well, and people are still out there making money and living life.

    It is not a fact just because two newspapers predicted it. learn what a fact is and start looking at the situation without having it spoonfed to you to support your hatred of obama. Oh, and yeah you probably should not taunt someone to beat you over the head with facts when your entire BS opinion is based on really crappy guesses from some idiots trying to pitch their news to a conservative hate crowd who doesn't like reality. It generally doesn;'t work out well for your argument, but if you insist I argue above your level and use facts instead of opinions have at trying that yourself for a change.

  10. #10
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,662

    re: Health Insurance Tax ‘Scares The Daylights’ Out Of Some Small-Business Owners [W:21]

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    opinion pieces are not facts.
    They aren't opinion pieces.


    Our markets are either returning or at record levels.

    They were at record levels the day before the 2007 crash. So care to explain why the stock market should be used to judge anything?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •