Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 869

Thread: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

  1. #811
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Bush was the same. massive spending. Compassionate conservatism. exporting democracy.

    yet the left treated him as if he was an extreme rightwing kind of person. absurd!
    A Texas bred, pro-corporation oil man, war-hawk who wears Christianism on his sleeve will leave many with that impression. But, no. Bush was not a Conservative.

    He lost me when he enacted the expanded drug prescription plan while embarking on nation building without one (a plan). Speaking of bad plans: approving his "no child left behind" plan wasn't exactly one of the nation's better ideas either.

  2. #812
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't understand socialism nor economic policies at all. Seems that whenever anyone has a problem with actual acts they point out Fox News as if that destroys credibility. You seem to confuse the news department of Fox with the Opinion shows but that is normal from people who lack the ability to independently research information.

    Obama is indeed a socialist someone who believes in massive govt. and control of individual responsibilities. He isn't stupid enough to announce his intentions but his actions always speak lounder than his words but like most Obama supporters you buy the rhetoric and ignore the substance. I am still trying to figure out what it is about Obama that generates this kind of loyalty and why don't you tell me what Fox NEWS story has been wrong?
    Actually it's you who has no clue what the hell you're talking about. No one outside of the Fox news circuit thinks of Obama as a "socialist".

    Dream on. I have no idea what you're smoking, but I'm certainly glad that I don't partake in it.

  3. #813
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    A Texas bred, pro-corporation oil man, war-hawk who wears Christianism on his sleeve will leave many with that impression. But, no. Bush was not a Conservative.

    He lost me when he enacted the expanded drug prescription plan while embarking on nation building without one (a plan). Speaking of bad plans: approving his "no child left behind" plan wasn't exactly one of the nation's better ideas either.
    The No Child Left Behind Act was written and sponsored by Ted Kennedy (D) in partnership with Bush....It was a bipartisan failure.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  4. #814
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucky View Post
    The No Child Left Behind Act was written and sponsored by Ted Kennedy (D) in partnership with Bush....It was a bipartisan failure.
    There ya go. Obviously, no real Conservative would ever jump into bed with Ted.

  5. #815
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Actually it's you who has no clue what the hell you're talking about. No one outside of the Fox news circuit thinks of Obama as a "socialist".

    Dream on. I have no idea what you're smoking, but I'm certainly glad that I don't partake in it.
    So you have surveyed everyone outside of Fox News? You make a wild claim and cannot back it up. You obviously have no understanding of what socialism is but certainly have a loyalty to a politician who does. No American politician would ever tell the American people, other than Bernie Sanders, that he is a socialist but his actions reek of socialism. I suggest you look at what he has proposed and tell me what isn't socialistic about those programs, everything revolves around the large central govt.

  6. #816
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you have surveyed everyone outside of Fox News? You make a wild claim and cannot back it up. You obviously have no understanding of what socialism is but certainly have a loyalty to a politician who does. No American politician would ever tell the American people, other than Bernie Sanders, that he is a socialist but his actions reek of socialism. I suggest you look at what he has proposed and tell me what isn't socialistic about those programs, everything revolves around the large central govt.
    I don't watch Fox News and I believe Obama is a Socialist lol
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  7. #817
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, I guess in 2005 the information available to the public regarding EMP's didn't show much of a threat. Wonder if that holds true 8 years later.
    Doubt it. The necessarily yield to generate that kind of EMP to overload cables going hundreds if not thousands of miles across the country is immense. Seriously doubt even one weapon could even come close to a quarter of that.

    I do think your scenario is more likely - a dirty weapon of some sort. Lots of available material around.
    Not a dirty weapon per se (but that is possible), but a full functioning nuke. Plus because it's panel van delivered, you don't need a guidance system. And it can be bulky. Considering how crappy our port security was for years after 9/11 I'm very surprised it hasn't happened yet.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #818
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Doubt it. The necessarily yield to generate that kind of EMP to overload cables going hundreds if not thousands of miles across the country is immense. Seriously doubt even one weapon could even come close to a quarter of that.



    Not a dirty weapon per se (but that is possible), but a full functioning nuke. Plus because it's panel van delivered, you don't need a guidance system. And it can be bulky. Considering how crappy our port security was for years after 9/11 I'm very surprised it hasn't happened yet.
    Seems to me some rather simple switchgear malfunctions have taken the grid off line in large sections of the United States over the last 10 years or so. With enough precision, it seems to me catostrophic damage could be inflicted.

  9. #819
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Seems to me some rather simple switchgear malfunctions have taken the grid off line in large sections of the United States over the last 10 years or so. With enough precision, it seems to me catostrophic damage could be inflicted.
    But that's a mechanical failure. It would be easier for them to launch attacks on infrastructure rather than using an EMP. You could fund a lot of sleeper cells for the price of a single nuclear device.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #820
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Seems to me some rather simple switchgear malfunctions have taken the grid off line in large sections of the United States over the last 10 years or so. With enough precision, it seems to me catostrophic damage could be inflicted.
    Good evening, ocean515.

    I well remember the blackout over the NE some years ago! It was a hot muggy day, and with no air conditioning or fans, it was unbearable! Although it was only for about eight hours, it sure seemed a lot longer than that! I can't imagine the problems if it went on for days or weeks, or longer! Social unrest to begin with, because everything in the freezer would spoil, milk in the fridge would sour, and if you're stuck with electric stoves.....? No gas for your car because no way to pump it, grocery stores closing eventually? It sure would be a mess, because we depend so much on electricity! :

Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •