Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 869

Thread: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

  1. #41
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you got any links proving you were critical of this. anything at all to suggest you ever showed a concern for privacy before?

    See, I called you a shill. go look it up sometime. That you are in this thread all concerned about what Obama did to the AP is hysterical.

    What i am accusing you of, is being a phony. you are pretending to care about issues that you don't actually care about. And I can prove that pretty easy



    game, set, match.

    now go look up the definition of shill. then stop being one.
    I'm not the one making the accusation. I don't HAVE to produce a link proving anything.

    You can apologize for the fale accusation and personal attacks anytime you like. I'm ready!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yes, I believe they did. The got a subpoena.
    Holder would have to sign off on the subpoena. If it's all nice and neat and legal, why didn't Holder just say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #43
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not the one making the accusation. I don't HAVE to produce a link proving anything.

    You can apologize for the fale accusation and personal attacks anytime you like. I'm ready!
    i posted your own words showing that you are a phony.

    edit: here they are again

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    I don't feel as if my civil rights have been infringed, if someone listens in on my phone conversations. One, because I feel like a phone conversation is no more private than talking to someone sitting in a resturant. Two, they'll be real disappointed at what they hear.

  4. #44
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    i posted your own words showing that you are a phony.
    All I've seen you post are insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #45
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Holder would have to sign off on the subpoena. If it's all nice and neat and legal, why didn't Holder just say that?
    When the Obama administration wants to hide something, like this, they have the discipline to keep quiet. When they want to leak something, like their ability to cyber attack Iran's nuclear facilities or all the details about the bin Laden raid, forget national security concerns, Boo Boo needs to be massaged.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    When the Obama administration wants to hide something, like this, they have the discipline to keep quiet. When they want to leak something, like their ability to cyber attack Iran's nuclear facilities or all the details about the bin Laden raid, forget national security concerns, Boo Boo needs to be massaged.
    They're hiding this for a reason...someone broke the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All I've seen you post are insults.
    I also posted a direct quote of yours. here it is again:

    "I don't feel as if my civil rights have been infringed, if someone listens in on my phone conversations. One, because I feel like a phone conversation is no more private than talking to someone sitting in a resturant. Two, they'll be real disappointed at what they hear."

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yes, I believe they did. The got a subpoena.
    A subpoena to the media must be "as narrowly drawn as possible" and "should be directed at relevant information regarding a limited subject matter and should cover a reasonably limited time period," according to the rules.

    The reason for these constraints, the department says, is to avoid actions that "might impair the news gathering function" because the government recognizes that "freedom of the press can be no broader than the freedom of reporters to investigate and report the news."

    News organizations normally are notified in advance that the government wants phone records and then they enter into negotiations over the desired information. In this case, however, the government, in its letter to the AP, cited an exemption to those rules that holds that prior notification can be waived if such notice, in the exemption's wording, might "pose a substantial threat to the integrity of the investigation."

    It is unknown whether a judge or a grand jury signed off on the subpoenas


    Gov't obtains wide AP phone records in probe

    If a subpoena was issued by a judge or a grand jury they violated the spirit of the law

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All I've seen you post are insults.
    So what's the grand conspiracy theory behind the surveillance of AP ? ........................

  10. #50
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    re: White House in damage control mode as potential scandals pile up [W:378]

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    A subpoena to the media must be "as narrowly drawn as possible" and "should be directed at relevant information regarding a limited subject matter and should cover a reasonably limited time period," according to the rules.

    The reason for these constraints, the department says, is to avoid actions that "might impair the news gathering function" because the government recognizes that "freedom of the press can be no broader than the freedom of reporters to investigate and report the news."

    News organizations normally are notified in advance that the government wants phone records and then they enter into negotiations over the desired information. In this case, however, the government, in its letter to the AP, cited an exemption to those rules that holds that prior notification can be waived if such notice, in the exemption's wording, might "pose a substantial threat to the integrity of the investigation."

    It is unknown whether a judge or a grand jury signed off on the subpoenas


    Gov't obtains wide AP phone records in probe

    If a subpoena was issued by a judge or a grand jury they violated the spirit of the law
    I don't disagree with you. But that would be up to the various telecom companies to challenge in a court or perhaps the AP as the aggrieved party can do that. Since it's only just become known, perhaps the AP intends to do so. I think it was Facebook last year or two years ago who challenged a subpoena, but I'm not sure of the results.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •