Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 174

Thread: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    [I]I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration,
    You liberals sound like a bunch of whinny little children " well Bush did it also "
    my 12 year old tries to use that same childish argument all the time "so and so did it also" do you think i let her off the hook

    I have a solution for you lets put Bush back into office so then you can impeach him. would that satisfy you? would that make you shut up about Bush?

    liberals are so predictable every time you say anything negative about Obama you can bet your right nut Bush will be brought up by the desperate left

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,016

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    In a lot of ways you're totally correct. The entire purpose of the application process was to determine if the groups were excessivly engaged in politics, which is prohibited for any organization seeking 501(c)(4) status. Free speech is not the same as unlimited anonymous speech.
    Yeah, it is. I don't see any exceptions in the first amendment.

  3. #63
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    They searched out groups who had names with "Tea Party", "Patriots", "9/12", etc... in it. Gee, you think there was bias? I guess the head of the IRS doesn't agree with you, that they didn't go far enough, he just resigned.
    He resigned as political cover and to keep his name out of the news. The head of the IRS through the end of 2012 was a Republican appointed by Bush.

    To prove bias you'd have to show that either a conservative group was statistically more likely to face a higher level of scrutiny than a liberal group. The report did not examine this question. Instead they found that 100% of groups with Tea Party or 9/12 were subjected to a special review board, but that is not enough to say that there was bias. You need one further bit of information. What percentage of these groups were targeted that should not have been targeted? If that number is higher than the baseline, then there was political bias.

    Over two years the IRS had to process 4510 applications. They acted appropriately in 94% of all cases. Of the ones that they missed, 2% were subjected to unessasary questions and delays while 4% should have been further investigated but weren't. To me, that says that the biggest scandal is what was missed.

  4. #64
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    I think you need to cite some proof of that in some way. I imagine it would be covered a lot more exhaustively by the press if it had happened under a republican.
    Stop holding Democrats to a different standard - Salon.com

    Two scandals deflated, one persists - Salon.com

    A few Democrats tried to get the word out.

    The funny thing about this whole story at the end, is that 2/3rd of the organizations that the IRS looked at weren't Tea Party related and the only one that got denied exemption status was a Democrat linked PAC.

    The more I read about what actually happened, the more I realize the GOP is using this as a witch hunt. There is a valid reason to come down on the 501(c)4s, the IRS turns out didn't primarily focus their audits on Tea Party groups and didn't deny a single one exemption status to a Conservative leaning application.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #65
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    And can you explain why they singled out only conservative groups? According to the report, 100% of the Tea Party groups were singled out. Seeing any abuse at all yet?
    O'rly?

    Treasury Report: The IRS Owes Apologies to More Than Just Tea Party Groups - Philip Bump - The Atlantic Wire

    I guess the only organization that got its application denied, a Democrat one linked to getting women elected was a really a Tea Party group?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #66
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I'm guessing that you are not aware of the abuses/violations committed by the IRS, or are in favor of an IRS that can do as they please and ignore our rights. Otherwise, it's hard to fathom anyone with the slightest intelligence saying that "the IRS didn't go far enough".
    You do not to tangle with me on this. You will lose.

    I am fully aware of the situation. You however, are not.

    2/3rd of the audits had nothing to do with the Tea Party.
    The only group denied an exemption was a Democrat linked organization.
    And the 501(c)4 has been abused to bypass the Citizens' United ruling.

    I suggest you start researching before you open your mouth. This is your only warning.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Stop holding Democrats to a different standard - Salon.com

    Two scandals deflated, one persists - Salon.com

    A few Democrats tried to get the word out.

    The funny thing about this whole story at the end, is that 2/3rd of the organizations that the IRS looked at weren't Tea Party related and the only one that got denied exemption status was a Democrat linked PAC.

    The more I read about what actually happened, the more I realize the GOP is using this as a witch hunt. There is a valid reason to come down on the 501(c)4s, the IRS turns out didn't primarily focus their audits on Tea Party groups and didn't deny a single one exemption status to a Conservative leaning application.
    Salon is laughably Left Wing and not a trusted source

    Claiming any of this is a "witchhunt" stinks of desperation

  8. #68
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    So long as they treat everyone equally. Which isnt what happened here. Targeting a specific ideology is not equality under the law.
    Let's go over the facts. Because most of you have no fracken idea what you are talking about.

    The GOP spent almost 10 times the amount on PACs that the Democrats did to the tune of nearly $300 million. Much of this was done by 501(c)4s which had nothing to do with social welfare. Second, the sole reason why they went the 4 designation is because it lets them hide donors which is effectively perverting the outcome of Citizens' United. CU made the trade off for unlimited spending for transparency. By using a 501(c)4 illegitimately to not engage in social welfare and hide donors, people like Rove are flat up abusing the code.

    Second, 2/3rd of the audits had nothing to do with the Tea Party. See my other posts for the link.

    Third, the ONLY GROUP THAT GOT DENIED was a Democrat leaning PAC.

    Fourth, the number of applications that came in from the Tea Party were substantially more than everything else. The IRS is going to target Tea Party groups more for the simple reason that there were thousands of Tea Party related applications. Seriously, the concept of basic math escapes people here.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #69
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Salon is laughably Left Wing and not a trusted source

    Claiming any of this is a "witchhunt" stinks of desperation
    No one cares what you think. Ever. You resort to calling people liars when they point out your own posts refute you. Even when they quote the very articles you post.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #70
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I don't see this as an either/or anyway, but I surely don't see coming to peace with "letting the IRS go ape **** " on anybody. It can't be partisan.
    We have three choices here.

    1) Congress fixes the 501(c)4 code
    2) Let the IRS go Ape **** on abusers if Congress fails to do anything
    3) Defang the IRS and let the abuse get worse

    As #1 ain't likely to happen, I vote for choice #2 as choice #3 makes our elections even worse.

    Pick your poison.

    Furthermore, there is an actual justified reason to go after them. Unlike when this **** happened under Bush for frankly nothing but political reasons.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •