Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

  1. #81
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Damn straight. More than a few 501(c)4s have been acting as PACs in blatant violation of the law.

    There's no law saying the IRS cannot profile. And the IRS profiles all the time. Having a home business gets you profiled. Having large foreign accounts get you profiled.
    Really? So they could start auditing all young black males and there would be no problem? And you say other people dont understand this issue?

    Profiling based upon resources is not the same as profiling based upon the equal protection laws regarding affiliation and civil rights.

  2. #82
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,483

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Profiling based upon resources is not the same as profiling based upon the equal protection laws regarding affiliation and civil rights.
    Can you prove that this was politically motivated profiling? All we've seen so far is a Republican dominated Congressional committee operating under the unsubstantiated assumption that it was. I haven't seen a single shred of evidence pertaining to why "Tea Party" was included in this list and there is a perfectly rational and legitimate explanation for why it would have been. People keep getting carried away merely at the idea of "Tea Party" being on a list of, as yet, unknown other keywords for special consideration. It doesn't automatically mean that the IRS did something wrong or illegal; what matters is the reason why it was on that list.
    Last edited by Napoleon; 05-23-13 at 11:55 PM.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Can you prove that this was politically motivated profiling? All we've seen so far is a Republican dominated Congressional committee operating under the unsubstantiated assumption that it was. I haven't seen a single shred of evidence pertaining to why "Tea Party" was included in this list and there is a perfectly rational and legitimate explanation for why it would have been. People keep getting carried away merely at the idea of "Tea Party" being on a list of, as yet, unknown other keywords for special consideration. It doesn't automatically mean that the IRS did something wrong or illegal; what matters is the reason why it was on that list.
    All you say is true which makes the counter in this case also true, can you prove it was not politically motivated profiling? And yes 'what matters is the reason why it was on that list' but unfortunately no one to date either knows anything(ridiculously) OR is willing to talk. Time will tell...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    chicago trib editorial board, today:

    IRS stonewalling makes the case for a special prosecutor - chicagotribune.com

    With their stonewalling, claimed ignorance and convenient amnesia, Internal Revenue Service officials make it difficult for Americans to comprehend the depth, but also the official awareness, of their agency's evident assault on free speech. IRS targeting of conservative groups for extraordinary scrutiny, intrusive demands for information from them, and long delays in processing their paperwork, served two ends, unwittingly or by intent: to thwart the groups' fundraising by delaying their tax-exempt status, and to intimidate them from exercising their First Amendment rights.

    Who put this sorry operation in motion? Was the IRS merely looking for ways to cope with more applications for its valuable tax-exempt imprimatur than its staff could process? Or was someone pushing the agency to hassle groups unfriendly to the government — or to the incumbent Democratic administration — as a presidential election approached?

    Asking these questions isn't a coy suggestion that we have answers. We do, though, know that truthful responses from Lois Lerner could get all of us much closer to those answers. Same for Douglas Shulman and Steven Miller, past IRS commissioners who, unlike Lerner, haven't invoked a Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. Shulman and Miller are testifying. But they just didn't know much, just can't remember much, about their agency's targeting operation.

    Add to this the White House's evolving story of who knew what, when, about illicit IRS activity and you reach this scandal's two bedrock issues. One is the origin and extent of the targeting. The other is how high in the Obama administration knowledge of this operation reached before voters cast their ballots for the Nov. 6 election. On Friday the IRS inspector general testified that in June 2012, five months before the election, he told top Treasury Department officials of his probe into the targeting. Maybe the word stopped there. Certainly, nobody clued in rank-and-file citizens about IRS treatment of conservative groups that might have influenced their votes.

    The context: Tea party and other conservative groups had assisted a Republican victory wave in the 2010 congressional election. Democrats understandably feared a repeat in 2012. That concern likely animated Democratic senators who, during the 2012 cycle, urged the IRS to examine the tax-exempt status of these groups, some of which had huge war chests. The White House, too, complained about big-money conservative groups.

    At the same time, the IRS was assuring noisy Republican members of Congress that, contrary to complaints from the conservative groups, the agency wasn't subjecting them to inordinate scrutiny. That assurance was incorrect. Worse, even when they learned about the targeting, neither Shulman nor Miller corrected their previous denials to the Congress. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said at a Tuesday hearing: "Commissioner Miller, that's a lie by omission. ... Why did you mislead me and my colleagues?" To which Miller replied, "I did not lie, Sir."

    The U.S. Department of Justice has opened a criminal investigation of the targeting, and of whether IRS officials misled members of Congress who asked about it. But given the political overtones, many Americans won't be much interested in what one arm of the Obama administration concludes about the conduct of other arms — the IRS, the Treasury and possibly the White House.

    The evasiveness of IRS officials makes the case for a special prosecutor to conduct this inquiry, much as then-U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald investigated (and convicted of perjury and other offenses) Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Given the gravity of this scandal and the we-saw-nothing attitude that IRS officials project, Attorney General Eric Holder should appoint a prosecutor, aka special counsel.

    We've been skeptical of special prosecutors who succumbed to temptations of mission creep and vague deadlines. But there are times when only a special prosecutor has the independence and credibility to resolve a politically fraught matter.

    With each day, the IRS fiasco only grows curiouser — as do the American people.

    We don't begrudge Lerner her privilege under the Fifth Amendment.

    We're equally concerned, though, about groups eager to invoke their First Amendment privilege — only to have their federal government push back.
    don't you sometimes feel apart?

    is that partly why you're so pissed?

    party proud, progressives

  5. #85
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Can you prove that this was politically motivated profiling? All we've seen so far is a Republican dominated Congressional committee operating under the unsubstantiated assumption that it was. I haven't seen a single shred of evidence pertaining to why "Tea Party" was included in this list and there is a perfectly rational and legitimate explanation for why it would have been. People keep getting carried away merely at the idea of "Tea Party" being on a list of, as yet, unknown other keywords for special consideration. It doesn't automatically mean that the IRS did something wrong or illegal; what matters is the reason why it was on that list.
    Which is why its suspicious Lerner is taking the fifth, especially in light of her actions at the FEC.
    We dont know as yet, because the decision makers arent talking and the administration is stonewalling. Kind of makes the case that there is something to hide.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Can you prove that this was politically motivated profiling? All we've seen so far is a Republican dominated Congressional committee operating under the unsubstantiated assumption that it was. I haven't seen a single shred of evidence pertaining to why "Tea Party" was included in this list and there is a perfectly rational and legitimate explanation for why it would have been. People keep getting carried away merely at the idea of "Tea Party" being on a list of, as yet, unknown other keywords for special consideration. It doesn't automatically mean that the IRS did something wrong or illegal; what matters is the reason why it was on that list.
    No one has denied that conservative organizations weren't targeted - even the IRS - that is proof enough. Hell, the heads of the IRS are blaming "low level rogue IRS agents" for this fiasco.

    Lois Lerner is pleading the Fifth - that should speak volumes.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    This scandal is just like Benghazi and the media scandal - they're are all the same. No one knows anything yet the evidence points to the fact that everyone involved knows something.

    However I really wouldn't expect progressives to even care, and these scandals are far worse than Watergate, yet the progressive MSM pays little attention. Oh and allegedly the media is not biased?

    Yeah, watch C-SPAN and tell me there is no scandal.

    All I see are a bunch of bureaucrats attempting to save their jobs with answers like: "I'm not aware of what happens under my presence" or "I plea the Fifth." When people use language like that its obvious they damn well know more than what they're letting on - and what they know wont vindicate them.

  8. #88
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Even liberal sources are not buying the frantic excuses of Lord Obama, and his criminal apostles....

    A bushel of Pinocchios for IRS’s Lois Lerner - The Washington Post

    Plus we know now that this isn't Lerner's first time discriminating against people she ideologically detests....

    Lois Lerner’s past history may be catching up with her. She’s in trouble right now because of her role in the IRS scandal but the practices she employed while head of the Enforcement Office at the Federal Election Commission (FEC) is also raising some red flags. It appears that she doesn’t necessarily have a fondness for conservative Christian groups.

    We already know that besides Tea Party groups, the IRS asked a religious pro-life group to details information about their prayers and religious activity. Well, maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised that this was coming under Lerner’s watch. Why? In turns out that when Lerner headed up the Enforcement Office of the FEC in the 1990’s, they brought a lawsuit against the Christian Coalition and during the process, many of the FEC attorneys asked invasive questions centering on personal faith and prayer practices. They made the Christian Coalition jump through hoop after hoop to try and prove that they were not coordinating issue advocacy expenditures with public officials running for office.

    snip

    “The FEC conducted a large amount of paper discovery during the administrative investigation and then served four massive discovery requests during the litigation stage that included 127 document requests, 32 interrogatories, and 1,813 requests for admission. Three of the interrogatories required the Coalition to explain each request for admission that it did not admit in full, for a total of 481 additional written answers that had to be provided. The Coalition was required to produce tens of thousands of pages of documents, many of them containing sensitive and proprietary information about finances and donor information. Each of the 49 state affiliates were asked to provide documents and many states were individually subpoenaed. In all, the Coalition searched both its offices and warehouse, where millions of pages of documents are stored, in order to produce over 100,000 pages of documents.”

    Lois Lerner's Lawsuit Crusade Against Christian Coalition?
    More here:

    IRS's Lerner Had History of Harassment, Inappropriate Religious Inquiries at FEC | The Weekly Standard

    This is a vile woman, radical leftist that should be no where near power in Washington D.C.

    The hypocrisy, and utter disregard for law, and the Constitution to achieve their ends is jaw droppingly stunning....For this woman to try a stunt like she did in congress, giving her plea of innocence, then pleading the 5th is a real misunderstanding of fundamental fairness, and the law....I hope they bring her back, and compel her to either testify, or go to jail.

    Also, we know that the WH counsel, and the Chief of Staff were also aware of this, and they need to testify as well....Should they try and plead the 5th, or hide behind Executive privilege...All hell will break loose.

    Finally, A select committee needs to be convened now. This administration is, has been, and will continue to be criminally corrupt if we allow this to pass without serious consequences....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #89
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    360

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    If it's just a case of misunderstanding, if we're " too stupid to understand" why didn't Ms Lerner just explain it to us ?
    I don't know, ask her?

  10. #90
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: IRS officials in Washington were involved in investigation of conservative [W:29]

    Quote Originally Posted by babilfish View Post
    I don't know, ask her?
    That's your answer? Really? A woman that has a track record of this exact sort of harassment, and wrong doing, trying to assert her right to not speak, while at the same time proclaiming her innocence, and refusing to step down? You mean ask that dishonest piece of crap anything?

    Good grief.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •