Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Well, your narrow minded "self evident truths" are contradicted by both reality and the dictates of civil rights. So frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. You're simply on the wrong side of history.
    Depends on what you mean by wrong side. You're entitled to your opinion as am I, but if it isn't self evident to you what constitutes the most successful family type in the history of the Earth and encompassing all species that lives and has ever lived, then apparently it isn't as self evident.


    By the way... In this context and your apparent refusal to accept what is self evident, I'd say you're the one being narrow minded. Do you feel any guilt? Is it why you're so open to the idea of destroying marriage further? In Sweden a once vibrant family culture, the intact families are in the minority already. In 10 YEARS, they have become the minority in favor of out of wedlock child births.


    SSM is only a reason to avoid such a future for ourselves. Tell me, what is the upside to gay marriage?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #12
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I find it interesting how many states that uphold traditional marriage do so via state constitutional amendments voted on by people. States that legalize SSM appear to like doing so at the legislative level without having the people vote on it.
    As it should be. Democracy needs to be limited in its scope. You shouldn't have the masses vote on civil rights.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    As it should be. Democracy needs to be limited in its scope. You shouldn't have the masses vote on civil rights.
    But it should at least reflect the views of the population. I'm fine with amendments and popular voting on issues as well.

  4. #14
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    An amendment upholding traditional marriage or legalizing SSM?
    The proposed amendment that failed would have banned SSM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The proposed amendment that failed would have banned SSM.
    That's fine. States should be able to do what they want. If MN wants to legalize SSM let them. If in the future people chose to change that they should be free to do so as well.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,915

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    If the folks in Minnesota want SSM, it's their state.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Depends on what you mean by wrong side. You're entitled to your opinion as am I, but if it isn't self evident to you what constitutes the most successful family type in the history of the Earth and encompassing all species that lives and has ever lived, then apparently it isn't as self evident.


    By the way... In this context and your apparent refusal to accept what is self evident, I'd say you're the one being narrow minded. Do you feel any guilt? Is it why you're so open to the idea of destroying marriage further? In Sweden a once vibrant family culture, the intact families are in the minority already. In 10 YEARS, they have become the minority in favor of out of wedlock child births.


    SSM is only a reason to avoid such a future for ourselves. Tell me, what is the upside to gay marriage?

    Tim-
    If you're actually concerned about out of wedlock childbirths, the obvious upside to SSM is more married couples raising children. Also, y'know, not discriminating against people, but that's clearly not much of a priority for you.

  8. #18
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    But it should at least reflect the views of the population. I'm fine with amendments and popular voting on issues as well.
    It does, so to speak. Equality before law, minority rights, and so forth are views of the population. If minorities constantly sought to get approval for equality by the masses, you would rarely get it. These matters usually require going above the people to improve the lives of Americans. This is where aristocracy and oligarchy have an advantage over democracy.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #19
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    That's fine. States should be able to do what they want. If MN wants to legalize SSM let them. If in the future people chose to change that they should be free to do so as well.
    But that's the point. You wanted an amendment legalizing it, and one that banned it failed 6 months ago. Leaving the issue to the legislature to decide.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #20
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Minnesota Senate debating SSM bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Allowing SSM is just one more nail in the coffin that has for years been attacking and debasing normal marriage with various forms of do good legislation. It demands that people ignore what is self-evidently natures most productive form of bonding, establishing the most ideal way to rear children. It requires that in free societies, we must come to accept all attempts to instill and install laws that govern the reverse of what is self evident. We will be known as the generation that destroyed itself, or at least began the process.


    Tim-
    Why are you so anti-freedom and equality?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •