Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 247

Thread: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

  1. #221
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I doubt that incident had anything to do with anything.
    So you were unfamiliar with the story, eh?

  2. #222
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, really, how are you more of an expert on deploying special forces hundreds of miles than Gates, exactly?
    Just a note of observation here. Gates explained why it wasn't possible starting at the time of the attack. If I read her question correctly, she is asking why there wasn't one preposition prior to the attack. Gates is truthful in that there wasn't one, but does absolutely nothing to explain why there wasn't one.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    So we have a former secretary of defense who wouldn't send help to a distressed foreigh mission because it would have been dangerous? You're kidding. Military operations can be dangerous? Glad he's no longer running the Pentagon.
    dangerous yes, it's the suicidal ones that give a soldier pause. I have often wondered those who are so cavalier about sending troops into unknown dangers, when was the last time you and a few close buddies jumped into a malstrum? I am 125% sure the security team's buddies wanted to go no matter what, how ever if they too had died in the firefight/mortar attack would the GOP have sat back in silence or used the additional deaths to dance around demanding 'answers'?

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    dangerous yes, it's the suicidal ones that give a soldier pause. I have often wondered those who are so cavalier about sending troops into unknown dangers, when was the last time you and a few close buddies jumped into a malstrum?
    It was in 1968. How about you?

  5. #225
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Stevens was not in an Embassy. He was in a CIA house.Stevens was the kind of man who wanted to be with people. He knew how dangerous it was. It was a 3 house compound.
    It doesn't really matter what you call it.

  6. #226
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    I certainly does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you call it.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Stevens was not in an Embassy. He was in a CIA house.Stevens was the kind of man who wanted to be with people. He knew how dangerous it was. It was a 3 house compound.
    he was sent the by the state department in perpetration for a visit by H. Clinton

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    It was in 1968. How about you?
    1971 11B with the scars to show for it. You 11B? You got tossed into a react for an ambushed unit you had no contact with and only a very sketchy outline of what was happening with how many badguys? Do tell...

    Now if you have been paying attention to more than right wing talking points it isn't the civilian in charge of the Pentagon who with holds troops from 'dangerous' situations even with soldiers wounded and under fire. If you studied the Hot Mess of the Mogadishu raid in '93 you will see where the senior man in Somalia, a general, refused to send the medivacs in for badly wounded troops and those men died overnight. You'd also know of Gordon and Shughart and their insertion to protect CW Durant in his downed Black Hawk. While it was bravery beyond measure, it didn't save Durant and the deaths didn't alter the subsequent events.

    As I look at this I'd say there is a lot more to this than a 'simple' terrorist attack. The American security forces complained there would be an attack, there was tips there would be an attack, the compound was known to be a security risk, there are now rumors of the CIA using this compound to conduct missions, the night was the anniversary of 9-11, the bulk of the security team (possible operatives rather than true guards) was a klick away at the annex and not the consulate. And why does the Ambassador go to the far less secure Consulate on 9-11?

    It was a failure of security across the board, from the poorly constructed buildings to the 'security' team itself.

    If it turns out the terrorists were hitting the Consulate not for the Ambassador but for the 'information' officer and his operation hunting shoulder launched missiles then the worm turns in a whole new direction. It might explain the reluctance to call the attack an organized assault if the CIA was the primary target.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    1971 11B with the scars to show for it. You 11B? You got tossed into a react for an ambushed unit you had no contact with and only a very sketchy outline of what was happening with how many badguys? Do tell...

    Now if you have been paying attention to more than right wing talking points it isn't the civilian in charge of the Pentagon who with holds troops from 'dangerous' situations even with soldiers wounded and under fire. If you studied the Hot Mess of the Mogadishu raid in '93 you will see where the senior man in Somalia, a general, refused to send the medivacs in for badly wounded troops and those men died overnight. You'd also know of Gordon and Shughart and their insertion to protect CW Durant in his downed Black Hawk. While it was bravery beyond measure, it didn't save Durant and the deaths didn't alter the subsequent events.

    As I look at this I'd say there is a lot more to this than a 'simple' terrorist attack. The American security forces complained there would be an attack, there was tips there would be an attack, the compound was known to be a security risk, there are now rumors of the CIA using this compound to conduct missions, the night was the anniversary of 9-11, the bulk of the security team (possible operatives rather than true guards) was a klick away at the annex and not the consulate. And why does the Ambassador go to the far less secure Consulate on 9-11?

    It was a failure of security across the board, from the poorly constructed buildings to the 'security' team itself.

    If it turns out the terrorists were hitting the Consulate not for the Ambassador but for the 'information' officer and his operation hunting shoulder launched missiles then the worm turns in a whole new direction. It might explain the reluctance to call the attack an organized assault if the CIA was the primary target.
    Right wing talking points? I'm just stating an opinion. It is unconscionable that the government did nothing. My words. Not someone else's.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Right wing talking points? I'm just stating an opinion. It is unconscionable that the government did nothing. My words. Not someone else's.
    yes you are just stating an opinion, one the facts don't support. One that ignores what it wants to to try and muddy Hillary for 2016.

    And funny how your opinion mimics the right wing talking points.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •