Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 247

Thread: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

  1. #171
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Secretary Gates advocated no such position. He stated that resources were not available and the on-the-ground situation was uncertain. That's very different from advocating a position that the U.S. should not act if it had military assets and sufficient information to do so.

    Added: The following link reveals what was "known" about the attack: Panetta on Benghazi attack: 'Could not put forces at risk' – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs
    What a great link, thanks.

    The U.S. military did not get involved during the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, last month because officials did not have enough information about what was going on before the attack was over, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said Thursday.

    At a Pentagon news briefing, Panetta said there was no "real-time information" to be able to act on, even though the U.S. military was prepared to do so.

    "You don't deploy forces into harm's way without knowing what's going on," Panetta said. "(We) felt we could not put forces at risk in that situation."

    A defense official provided more context on Panetta's comments about the decision-making involved in not sending U.S. troops to the consulate being attacked in Benghazi.

    He said there was a drone aloft but not directly over the area at the time the attack began.

    He said the drone was redirected and arrived in time to record some of the attack. But he described what the drone saw as "looking down, seeing a bunch of buildings and fires, a lot of chaos on the ground."

    snip

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    a explosion can't tell the difference between friend or foe.
    Have you ever heard of a smart bomb ?

  3. #173
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    That's ridiculous.

    We have missiles that are made purely out of concrete, nothing else. People, do just a little research so your'e not left guessing.
    How does a missile made purely out of concrete gonna fly. All they're gonna do is drop. Not much killing power unless you hit someone directly with it. And you talk about ridiculous.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
    How does a missile made purely out of
    concrete gonna fly. All they're gonna do is drop. Not much killing power unless you hit someone directly with it. And you talk about ridiculous.

    The entire missle is not concrete, just the payload. It's actually a dense concrete like substance and is specifically used to NOT create a ecplosion that would take out innocent targets.

    Accelerate anything to 2 a thousand an hour and whatever it hits , it destroys.

    Look , most " people " here trying to justify away our Govt's lack of action are extremely ignorant when it comes to our Military's capabilities.

    It's incredibly naive to think we couldn't have responded because it was " pandemonium".

    Spec Ops are trained for " pandemonium"

  5. #175
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What a great link, thanks.



    "You don't deploy forces into harm's way without knowing what's going on," Panetta said. "(We) felt we could not put forces at risk in that situation."
    This, has got to be one of THE MOST patently asinine comments I ever hallucinated I'd hear a SecDef make. Of course it's a microcosm of the weakness of the current administration.

    Yeah Leon, so instead of sending HELP, and you had resources READY WILLING and ABLE to go, in fact they were IN CARS about to head to the airport in Tripoli, you just sat back, the current occupier Commander in Chief went to bed, and you let four American's die.

    Of course the low information crowd thinks this is a good strategy.

  6. #176
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why did Rice tell the nation that it was all about a stupid internet video?
    They came from the CIA:

    Another is blatant disregard of established facts. Drawn up by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), the letter alleges that “Ambassador Rice is widely viewed as having either willfully or incompetently misled the American public” about the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. But as congressional testimony has established, Ms. Rice’s comments on several Sunday television talk shows on Sept. 16 were based on talking points drawn up by the intelligence community. She was acting as an administration spokeswoman; there was nothing either incompetent or deliberately misleading about the way she presented the information she was given.

    David Ignatius: Benghazi intelligence revealed - The Washington Post

  7. #177
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceandan View Post
    This, has got to be one of THE MOST patently asinine comments I ever hallucinated I'd hear a SecDef make. Of course it's a microcosm of the weakness of the current administration.

    Yeah Leon, so instead of sending HELP, and you had resources READY WILLING and ABLE to go, in fact they were IN CARS about to head to the airport in Tripoli, you just sat back, the current occupier Commander in Chief went to bed, and you let four American's die.

    Of course the low information crowd thinks this is a good strategy.
    Nice rhetoric, now prove it.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What a great link, thanks.

    The U.S. military did not get involved during the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, last month because officials did not have enough information about what was going on before the attack was over, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said Thursday.

    At a Pentagon news briefing, Panetta said there was no "real-time information" to be able to act on, even though the U.S. military was prepared to do so.

    "You don't deploy forces into harm's way without knowing what's going on," Panetta said. "(We) felt we could not put forces at risk in that situation."

    A defense official provided more context on Panetta's comments about the decision-making involved in not sending U.S. troops to the consulate being attacked in Benghazi.

    He said there was a drone aloft but not directly over the area at the time the attack began.

    He said the drone was redirected and arrived in time to record some of the attack. But he described what the drone saw as "looking down, seeing a bunch of buildings and fires, a lot of chaos on the ground."

    snip
    Did you notice the date of the story ? Oct. 26, 2012. You are aware that Panetta just like Gates have always been known as "yes men" during most of their career.

    We must assume that Panetta played a part in the White House cover up because today most in the military disagree with Panetta's and recently Gates comments on Benghazi. Most members with in the military are pissed off at the Obama administration for not allowing them to do their job. The U.S. military has a long tradition of going in to harms way.

    >"You don't deploy forces into harm's way without knowing what's going on,"< is about as stupid as Obama's politicaly correct Rules of Engagement (ROE) that Obama signed off on that favor the enemy in Afghanistan and are directly responsiable for hundreds of American soldiers being killed in Afghanistan.

    Civilians in the White House and the Pentagon shouldn't be making decisions that the military should be making.

  9. #179
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    It's called a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) Gates. You know, the very forces that are trained and deployed for THIS EXACT SCENARIO!! I've been on a MEU and done the training. The situation in Benghazi was a textbook case of what we trained for in 2000 when I deployed, much less now. If the training was as good as it was then, imagine how good it is now. Its called Embassy Reinforcement. I don't know where this guy gets his info. A MEU can put about 200-300 infantrymen on that site within 3-6 hours of being given the order complete with fixed/rotary wing coverage, amphibious assault vehicle support, and even artillery support if deemed necessary (in this case not). Despite popular belief, special forces/SEALs don't have to do everything. You don't need a filet knife for a blunt object job. Benghazi was a blunt object job and Marine infantryman are that blunt object.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

    I think the message from conservatives is clear: they hate the military, and want to tell it how to do its job.

    Imagine having the likes of Issa deciding when and were to put US troops in harms way.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •