Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

  1. #1
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    A 10-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were among 19 people shot and wounded at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans on Sunday, police said.Most of the victims were grazed, including the children, but three people were reported in serious condition. Both children were in good condition.
    The FBI attributed the incident to "street violence," not terrorism.


    Source: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade - latimes.com


    Seriously, WTF? This is really saddening to hear that people are being shot on a day when its supposed to be about celebrating mothers.

    "Just a very tragic day for us again in New Orleans, especially on Mother’s Day," Mayor Mitch Landrieu told reporters Sunday evening. “We have mothers that were shot, sisters that were shot, little children that were shot."
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  2. #2
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    It is sad, but in one of the most violent cities in the country, it's not really all that surprising. NO is a cool place to visit, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,284

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Source: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade - latimes.com


    Seriously, WTF? This is really saddening to hear that people are being shot on a day when its supposed to be about celebrating mothers.


    [/FONT][/COLOR]

    What matters is those who fired the bullets, " were gangsta "
    Last edited by Fenton; 05-12-13 at 11:38 PM.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  4. #4
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,667

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Source: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade - latimes.com


    Seriously, WTF? This is really saddening to hear that people are being shot on a day when its supposed to be about celebrating mothers.


    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    might have been different definitions of a mother



  5. #5
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Do moms show their boobs to get beads?

    Fortunately nobody has died so far, but New Orleans is not exactly the most unexpected place for violent crime to occur.

  6. #6
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Why are children's deaths always emphasized by the news? The death of an adult is equally tragic, in my opinion it's more so tragic because they have more social connections and therefore their deaths affect more people.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  7. #7
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Why are children's deaths always emphasized by the news? The death of an adult is equally tragic, in my opinion it's more so tragic because they have more social connections and therefore their deaths affect more people.
    'If it bleeds, it leads' is they way for medial slugs to make money.

    Children being injured will especially help to generate additional revenue.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #8
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Why are children's deaths always emphasized by the news? The death of an adult is equally tragic, in my opinion it's more so tragic because they have more social connections and therefore their deaths affect more people.
    Agree with a lot of what you say, but i think you are under-valuing the fact that child victims are deprived of life's opportunities. Sure, that happens from natural causes too, which is almost never in the news. The 2nd factor seems to be that the killer has to be especially depraved to, for example, drop a backpack with a bomb right behind an 8-year-old, or to shoot up a 1st grade classroom.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Why are children's deaths always emphasized by the news? The death of an adult is equally tragic, in my opinion it's more so tragic because they have more social connections and therefore their deaths affect more people.
    It is emphasized because it gets the ratings. But people as a whole are more outraged by the deaths of children, in part, out of biology and empathy. Be it biological or cultural, we are programmed to want to protect children. Most of us anyway.

    But I think empathy also plays a big role. I love my parents, but I realize that it is very likely that I will outlive them. That will be a sad day but I know it is coming. I love my wife, but I realize there is an average chance I will outlive her. It will be a horrible day if that happens but that is part of life. But my kids? No parent should outlive their kids. And when we hear of young children dying we empathize with the anguish the parents must feel. That empathy engenders emotions. Emotions draw ratings.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: 19 people shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Why are children's deaths always emphasized by the news? The death of an adult is equally tragic, in my opinion it's more so tragic because they have more social connections and therefore their deaths affect more people.
    Not really, no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •