Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 120 of 120

Thread: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

  1. #111
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,688

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Yeah, that snip of the conversation doesn't tell the whole story. Hicks was told by Pope that anyone opting to leave Benghazi would get a good position out of it. But rather than getting a prestigious post after leaving Benghazi he was shoved in a deep dark hole in the State Department. It was the lack of a good position as promised that lead Hicks to see it as a demotion, he kept his salary, but none of the power or influence of his prior position.

  2. #112
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Got it. You're not a serious discussion partner. Thanks for playing.
    absolutely serious
    so serious i do not pretend hicks did not say he was demoted tho he actually made such a misrepresentation
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #113
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,854
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    absolutely serious
    so serious i do not pretend hicks did not say he was demoted tho he actually made such a misrepresentation
    He misrepresented nothing. The only shortfall here is your understanding.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #114
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    He misrepresented nothing. The only shortfall here is your understanding.
    Yes he did.

    Embassy Staff Undercuts 'Whistleblower' Testimony On Benghazi

    Staff who served in Libya with Gregory Hicks, the GOP’s primary “whistleblower” in this week’s hearing on the Benghazi terror attacks, undercut his story that State Department officials demoted him as retribution for speaking out, instead telling ThinkProgress about a man who one described as “the worst manager I’ve ever seen in the Foreign Service.”

    Throughout his testimony on Wednesday, Hicks seemed certain that any critique of his leadership style while serving as deputy chief of mission in Libya was based solely around anger related to his stance on Benghazi. He also blamed his subsequent assignment after being pulled from Libya in mid-Oct. 2012 on his speaking out against the Obama administration’s response to the attacks.

    However, ThinkProgress has talked to staffers based in Libya who counter Hicks’ portrayal of both his own performance and the State Department’s alleged response to him speaking out. A meeting between Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Beth Jones and Hicks took place in Tripoli prior to his removal from Libya, but not under the same circumstances Hicks sought to portray. Counter to Hicks’ story of an unwarranted reassignment, the staff was upset with Hicks’ performance since he was first assigned to Tripoli on July 31, and told Jones as much prior to her meeting with Hicks.

    “[Jones] and her aide had one-on-one meetings with us to see if [Hicks] could be guided into being a better leader,” a State Department employee posted to Libya told ThinkProgress. “Literally every single one of us begged for him to be removed from post,” said the employee, who spoke to ThinkProgress on the condition of anonymity, as they were not cleared to discuss personnel issues with the press.

    A second State Department employee present in Libya before and during the Benghazi attacks confirmed the meetings occurred. Assistant Secretary Jones’ meetings with the staff prior to Oct. 2 were “entirely” focused on Hicks’ performance, according to this second employee, who also believed that Hicks should be removed from his position. “The group of us who were here during the attacks, we sat here two nights ago and watched [the hearing] with our jaws dropped,” the staffer said, referring to Hicks’ claim that he was demoted out of retribution for speaking out.

    “He was removed from here because he was a disaster as a manager,” the second employee went on to say, expressing the belief that Hicks’ reassignment had “nothing to do with him being a whistleblower, it had everything to do with his management capacity or lack thereof.” This statement contradicts the narrative promoted on conservative media outlets that Hicks was being forced to remain silent and being punished for speaking out.

    Continue reading at the link
    Last edited by pbrauer; 05-16-13 at 12:08 AM.

  5. #115
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,854
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Yes he did.

    Embassy Staff Undercuts 'Whistleblower' Testimony On Benghazi

    Staff who served in Libya with Gregory Hicks, the GOP’s primary “whistleblower” in this week’s hearing on the Benghazi terror attacks, undercut his story that State Department officials demoted him as retribution for speaking out, instead telling ThinkProgress about a man who one described as “the worst manager I’ve ever seen in the Foreign Service.”

    Throughout his testimony on Wednesday, Hicks seemed certain that any critique of his leadership style while serving as deputy chief of mission in Libya was based solely around anger related to his stance on Benghazi. He also blamed his subsequent assignment after being pulled from Libya in mid-Oct. 2012 on his speaking out against the Obama administration’s response to the attacks.

    However, ThinkProgress has talked to staffers based in Libya who counter Hicks’ portrayal of both his own performance and the State Department’s alleged response to him speaking out. A meeting between Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Beth Jones and Hicks took place in Tripoli prior to his removal from Libya, but not under the same circumstances Hicks sought to portray. Counter to Hicks’ story of an unwarranted reassignment, the staff was upset with Hicks’ performance since he was first assigned to Tripoli on July 31, and told Jones as much prior to her meeting with Hicks.

    “[Jones] and her aide had one-on-one meetings with us to see if [Hicks] could be guided into being a better leader,” a State Department employee posted to Libya told ThinkProgress. “Literally every single one of us begged for him to be removed from post,” said the employee, who spoke to ThinkProgress on the condition of anonymity, as they were not cleared to discuss personnel issues with the press.

    A second State Department employee present in Libya before and during the Benghazi attacks confirmed the meetings occurred. Assistant Secretary Jones’ meetings with the staff prior to Oct. 2 were “entirely” focused on Hicks’ performance, according to this second employee, who also believed that Hicks should be removed from his position. “The group of us who were here during the attacks, we sat here two nights ago and watched [the hearing] with our jaws dropped,” the staffer said, referring to Hicks’ claim that he was demoted out of retribution for speaking out.

    “He was removed from here because he was a disaster as a manager,” the second employee went on to say, expressing the belief that Hicks’ reassignment had “nothing to do with him being a whistleblower, it had everything to do with his management capacity or lack thereof.” This statement contradicts the narrative promoted on conservative media outlets that Hicks was being forced to remain silent and being punished for speaking out.

    Continue reading at the link
    ThinkProgress? Really?
    Hicks was the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM). In every US Embassy everywhere the DCM is the Ambassador's enforcer, and often therefore the least popular senior officer in the Embassy. This is no evidence of anything.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #116
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    ThinkProgress? Really?
    Hicks was the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM). In every US Embassy everywhere the DCM is the Ambassador's enforcer, and often therefore the least popular senior officer in the Embassy. This is no evidence of anything.
    now you want evidence
    when hicks insisted he was demoted but cannot produce the paper trail that accompanies one in the federal service, you found that unessential to continue believing his lie
    by your posting history, you show no interest in knowing the truth
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #117
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,854
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    now you want evidence
    when hicks insisted he was demoted but cannot produce the paper trail that accompanies one in the federal service, you found that unessential to continue believing his lie
    by your posting history, you show no interest in knowing the truth
    If you knew anything about the federal service you would not post such nonsense. Hicks used the term "demoted" as it is used in 99% of discussions: his responsibilities were reduced and his career prospects were injured. There is almost never a formal demotion in any branch of the federal service because that's too labor intensive and it takes forever. Real demotions (as I have described) are much more common.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #118
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    ThinkProgress? Really?
    Hicks was the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM). In every US Embassy everywhere the DCM is the Ambassador's enforcer, and often therefore the least popular senior officer in the Embassy. This is no evidence of anything.
    Okay, why did he say this?

    REP. SCOTT DESJARLAIS (R-TN): So when you came back to the United States, were you planning on going back to Libya?

    MR. HICKS: I was. I fully intended to do so.

    REP. DESJARLAIS: And what do you think happened?

    MR. HICKS: Based on the criticism that I received, I felt that if I went back, I would never be comfortable working there. And in addition, my family really didn't want me to go back. We'd endured a year of separation when I was in Afghanistan 2006 and 2007. That was the overriding factor. So I voluntarily curtailed -- I accepted an offer of what's called a no-fault curtailment. That means that there's -- there would be no criticism of my departure of post, no negative repercussions. And in fact Ambassador Pope, when he made the offer to everyone in Tripoli when he arrived -- I mean Charge Pope -- when he arrived, he indicated that people could expect that they would get a good onward assignment out of that..

    I think he used those two sentences to hide the fact he was in fact demoted.

  9. #119
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,854
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Okay, why did he say this?

    REP. SCOTT DESJARLAIS (R-TN): So when you came back to the United States, were you planning on going back to Libya?

    MR. HICKS: I was. I fully intended to do so.

    REP. DESJARLAIS: And what do you think happened?

    MR. HICKS: Based on the criticism that I received, I felt that if I went back, I would never be comfortable working there. And in addition, my family really didn't want me to go back. We'd endured a year of separation when I was in Afghanistan 2006 and 2007. That was the overriding factor. So I voluntarily curtailed -- I accepted an offer of what's called a no-fault curtailment. That means that there's -- there would be no criticism of my departure of post, no negative repercussions. And in fact Ambassador Pope, when he made the offer to everyone in Tripoli when he arrived -- I mean Charge Pope -- when he arrived, he indicated that people could expect that they would get a good onward assignment out of that..

    I think he used those two sentences to hide the fact he was in fact demoted.
    If I had to guess about some hidden motive for his non-return to Libya, I'd go with the family concerns. Twelve years of GWOT and an increasing number of unaccompanied posts have strained many Foreign Service families. Otherwise, he's the most credible witness in his own case.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #120
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State Department disputes diplomat’s charges of retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    If I had to guess about some hidden motive for his non-return to Libya, I'd go with the family concerns. Twelve years of GWOT and an increasing number of unaccompanied posts have strained many Foreign Service families. Otherwise, he's the most credible witness in his own case.
    Yet, he said he fully intended to return, there is something fishy there.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •