Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 151

Thread: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

  1. #51
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post


    You're right, the only possible thing which could have been happening is a conspiracy between the White House and the news organizations. Nevermind the fact it's not uncommon to have these background meetings, the only conclusion which involves the least assumptions is a massive conspiracy which is being covered up in plain sight, while the same administration is already being accused politically of another cover up. Good argument.


    White House holds 'deep background' Benghazi briefing - POLITICO.com
    [/INDENT]So the simplest explanation is the meeting was exactly what it was...it was a meeting to give deeper background to the reporters before the press conference.


    So...to avoid getting caught redhanded in a secret meeting behind closed doors, they announce to the world a closed door secret meeting? That makes sense to you?

    Why or how would I explain it? How about you ask the White House? My guess would be the answer would be far more innocuous than you want to believe. Hell, according to your information the Wall Street Journal was represented, as was the AP, so it's not like you can say it was full of sympathetic "liberal media" outlets.

    I am, and common sense would also tell you that there is absolutely NO WAY any intelligent person would hold a conspiratorial meeting, which is announced ahead of time, in the White House, with people whose jobs and fame hinges on getting the next big story, in a time like this when the Administration is already under political attack for a supposed cover-up.

    I am big on common sense. Do you really think your position is common sense and not looking for conspiracy? Do you really think intelligent politicians would really hold a conspiracy meeting in the White House, announced ahead of time, at a time like this? I would hope your common sense would tell you this meeting was not likely to be anything more than what it was called.

    If the attack hadn't happened, no one would have known or cared all along the way. And that includes everyone, from the State department to Congressional Republicans to the President. The only reason this has become a big deal is because there was an attack.

    The sad part is, and I've mentioned this already, but we still don't know what security is like in other places. I've never heard Republicans (or Democrats) call for additional Congressional inquiries into assessing the strength of other bases. When do you think Republicans will get around to that?

    I have no idea what you mean.

    No, let's LEARN from our past and recent screw-ups and let's use that knowledge to fix the problems. THAT is what is important. How about you and Republicans come around to that?
    When a magician tricks you he often tells you he is about to do magic right in front of your face.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #52
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    When a magician tricks you he often tells you he is about to do magic right in front of your face.
    So Obama can do magic now. Got it.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post


    You're right, the only possible thing which could have been happening is a conspiracy between the White House and the news organizations. Nevermind the fact it's not uncommon to have these background meetings, the only conclusion which involves the least assumptions is a massive conspiracy which is being covered up in plain sight, while the same administration is already being accused politically of another cover up. Good argument.


    White House holds 'deep background' Benghazi briefing - POLITICO.com
    [/INDENT]So the simplest explanation is the meeting was exactly what it was...it was a meeting to give deeper background to the reporters before the press conference.


    So...to avoid getting caught redhanded in a secret meeting behind closed doors, they announce to the world a closed door secret meeting? That makes sense to you?

    Why or how would I explain it? How about you ask the White House? My guess would be the answer would be far more innocuous than you want to believe. Hell, according to your information the Wall Street Journal was represented, as was the AP, so it's not like you can say it was full of sympathetic "liberal media" outlets.

    I am, and common sense would also tell you that there is absolutely NO WAY any intelligent person would hold a conspiratorial meeting, which is announced ahead of time, in the White House, with people whose jobs and fame hinges on getting the next big story, in a time like this when the Administration is already under political attack for a supposed cover-up.

    I am big on common sense. Do you really think your position is common sense and not looking for conspiracy? Do you really think intelligent politicians would really hold a conspiracy meeting in the White House, announced ahead of time, at a time like this? I would hope your common sense would tell you this meeting was not likely to be anything more than what it was called.

    If the attack hadn't happened, no one would have known or cared all along the way. And that includes everyone, from the State department to Congressional Republicans to the President. The only reason this has become a big deal is because there was an attack.

    The sad part is, and I've mentioned this already, but we still don't know what security is like in other places. I've never heard Republicans (or Democrats) call for additional Congressional inquiries into assessing the strength of other bases. When do you think Republicans will get around to that?

    I have no idea what you mean.

    No, let's LEARN from our past and recent screw-ups and let's use that knowledge to fix the problems. THAT is what is important. How about you and Republicans come around to that?

    Did you figure out that part of the Meeting being with only certain media sources? Do you think all media sources in the Press Corps should have been allowed to attend that meeting?

    Did Team Obama say how they determined which Media Sources they wanted to talk to while keeping out certain others? Just how did they Cherry Pick as to who they wanted there?

  4. #54
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    So Obama can do magic now. Got it.
    That's a pretty shoddy deflect to the simple comparison I'm trying to make. Are you telling me one of the things maybe in a politicians bag of tricks isn't tricks? You cant imagine politicians snorting coke of a 3rd worlds child's head while smokin' a cigar and sayin', "Don't worry Ill get this done for you." As he rubs 3 fingers together suggesting money.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  5. #55
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Way to completely miss the point. "Off the record" discussions between the white house and reporters are not some new sinister thing that should make one terrified of the media. They happen all the time.
    Nope, just the same old misinformation tactic. Thanks for proving it's ok with you as long as you agree with the goal behind it though.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #56
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    the handlers of the president have to find a way to control the narrative about benghazi in the press.

    this is a good way to do so, off the record meeting.

    You say that like it's not disgusting.

  7. #57
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    Correction: An earlier version of this post incorrectly referred to the meeting as "off the record." Though the existence of the meeting was off the record, it was conducted on "deep background."

    White House holds 'deep background' Benghazi briefing - POLITICO.com

    Translation: "Part of the off-the-record meeting with the White House was orders to call the meeting "deep background" rather than off the record."

    So where are all the news reports of the new "deep" information given at that "deep background" press briefing?

    More importantly, where is the transcript of that meeting?
    Last edited by jmotivator; 05-12-13 at 09:35 AM.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Translation: "Part of the off-the-record meeting with the White House was orders to call the meeting "deep background" rather than off the record."


    So where are all the news reports of the new "deep" information given at that "deep background" press briefing?
    Heya JM.....It wasnt a meeting.....they were just having Coffeethoughts.

  9. #59
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

    Why or how would I explain it? How about you ask the White House? My guess would be the answer would be far more innocuous than you want to believe. Hell, according to your information the Wall Street Journal was represented, as was the AP, so it's not like you can say it was full of sympathetic "liberal media" outlets.

    I am, and common sense would also tell you that there is absolutely NO WAY any intelligent person would hold a conspiratorial meeting, which is announced ahead of time, in the White House, with people whose jobs and fame hinges on getting the next big story, in a time like this when the Administration is already under political attack for a supposed cover-up.

    I am big on common sense. Do you really think your position is common sense and not looking for conspiracy? Do you really think intelligent politicians would really hold a conspiracy meeting in the White House, announced ahead of time, at a time like this? I would hope your common sense would tell you this meeting was not likely to be anything more than what it was called.

    If the attack hadn't happened, no one would have known or cared all along the way. And that includes everyone, from the State department to Congressional Republicans to the President. The only reason this has become a big deal is because there was an attack.

    The sad part is, and I've mentioned this already, but we still don't know what security is like in other places. I've never heard Republicans (or Democrats) call for additional Congressional inquiries into assessing the strength of other bases. When do you think Republicans will get around to that?

    I have no idea what you mean.

    No, let's LEARN from our past and recent screw-ups and let's use that knowledge to fix the problems. THAT is what is important. How about you and Republicans come around to that?
    If you believe that the meeting which didn't happen is innocuous, great. I'm waiting for press releases attributed to anonymus white house sources through those outlets the Obama administration chose to provide background. I'm willing to bet I don't have a long wait.

    Your argument stems from your hope that some systemic failure can be blamed for the attack in Benghazi. Sorry. There was no systemic failure. There were policy and procedural failures, and these are the direct result of people, and not systems or mechanisms. People in responsible positions made the decisions which resulted in the attack, and people made the subsequent attempt to hide those decisions - thereby attempting to avoid any culpability. The first step in correcting this is to identify the people who made the decisions, and remove them from positions which require sound judgement and the authority to make decisions involving the well-being of our personel serving abroad. As Americans, we don't leave our ambassadors and security twisting in the wind with no recourse but death. We don't let the attackers walk away with no consequence for their acts. That some are resorting to endless contortions to avoid that admission speaks volumes about the level to which this administration will sink to diminish and deny the role they played in a debacle of their own making. You know there are lies we hear everyday and we laugh about them and dismiss them. This event in Benghazi is not one of those. The truth is important here, and no amount of lying in order to achieve a political "victory" here will be a victory at all, unless you consider political advantage based on a lie to be a virtue. I don't.

    While I'm on my soapbox here, I should also mention that the decision not to send help, whether it arrived in time to save lives or not, is one of the most coldly calculating and cruel decisions I can imagine. I can't speak for others, but I know that if I had been on that rooftop in Benghazi fighting for my life and that of others, I would've welcomed the knowledge that help was on the way, that there would be some consequence for the attack in which justice played a role. We didn't even give them that. Not even that, Sly. That's beyond despicable.

    What we are seeing here in Benghazi is the failure of the Obama Administration's ME foreign policy writ large. You can deny that all you want. The results are apparent, and "rewriting" the story isn't going to change the truth.

  10. #60
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: White House holds OFF-THE-RECORD briefing with reporters on Benghazi

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    If you believe that the meeting which didn't happen is innocuous, great. I'm waiting for press releases attributed to anonymus white house sources through those outlets the Obama administration chose to provide background. I'm willing to bet I don't have a long wait.

    Your argument stems from your hope that some systemic failure can be blamed for the attack in Benghazi. Sorry. There was no systemic failure. There were policy and procedural failures, and these are the direct result of people, and not systems or mechanisms. People in responsible positions made the decisions which resulted in the attack, and people made the subsequent attempt to hide those decisions - thereby attempting to avoid any culpability. The first step in correcting this is to identify the people who made the decisions, and remove them from positions which require sound judgement and the authority to make decisions involving the well-being of our personel serving abroad. As Americans, we don't leave our ambassadors and security twisting in the wind with no recourse but death. We don't let the attackers walk away with no consequence for their acts. That some are resorting to endless contortions to avoid that admission speaks volumes about the level to which this administration will sink to diminish and deny the role they played in a debacle of their own making. You know there are lies we hear everyday and we laugh about them and dismiss them. This event in Benghazi is not one of those. The truth is important here, and no amount of lying in order to achieve a political "victory" here will be a victory at all, unless you consider political advantage based on a lie to be a virtue. I don't.

    While I'm on my soapbox here, I should also mention that the decision not to send help, whether it arrived in time to save lives or not, is one of the most coldly calculating and cruel decisions I can imagine. I can't speak for others, but I know that if I had been on that rooftop in Benghazi fighting for my life and that of others, I would've welcomed the knowledge that help was on the way, that there would be some consequence for the attack in which justice played a role. We didn't even give them that. Not even that, Sly. That's beyond despicable.

    What we are seeing here in Benghazi is the failure of the Obama Administration's ME foreign policy writ large. You can deny that all you want. The results are apparent, and "rewriting" the story isn't going to change the truth.
    Good morning, humbolt.

    Excellent! You speak for so many of us that just want the truth. One wonders what the attitude would be if those who are attempting to trivialize this were in the same position as those we turned our backs on when they were pleading for assistance that never arrived. I can't imagine the final thoughts of those who died. Did they wonder WHY? What goes around comes around, and if you want to call it justice, or karma, or something else, it will be repaid in kind at some point. It always is. ...sad...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •