Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 732

Thread: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups[W:484,732]

  1. #711
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman909 View Post
    I am stunned by the ignorance of this. But I should have expected it. Silly me.
    then share with us exactly what aspects of that post are other than accurate
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #712
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman909 View Post
    I am stunned by the ignorance of this. But I should have expected it. Silly me.
    Right back at ya, pal

  3. #713
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman909 View Post
    I am stunned by the ignorance of this. But I should have expected it. Silly me.

    It's not ignorance, it's spin. They know what happened and refuse to accept that it was wrong.

    But I guess this just green lights the more conservative IRS agents to target and harass applications from liberal organizations....

    The old rule will always apply: Don't defend a use of power that you would not trust in the hands of your opponent.

  4. #714
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    then share with us exactly what aspects of that post are other than accurate
    This may clear it up for you, and from the Washington Post no less....

    "Essentially, there are three types of laws that might conceivably have been broken, as Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged in his testimony before a House committee Wednesday:

    1) Civil rights laws that protect people from being discriminated against by the government

    2) The Hatch Act, which prevents civil servants from engaging in partisan political activity

    3) Perjury laws, which prevent people from lying to Congress

    For the third law to have been broken, Republicans would have to prove that IRS officials knew of improper targeting of conservatives and testified to the opposite effect. They have noted that then-IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman testified in March 2012 that there was no such targeting going on."

    ‘Who’s going to jail’ over IRS scandal? Probably nobody.


    Now I know that all you and Guy are doing here is trying to defend the act because you truly don't see anything wrong with what happened, (even though if tables were turned, you'd be screaming from the treetops) but, I can assure you the WH is taking a dangerous path here.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #715
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, there was nothing even remotely criminal going on here...
    Apparently the IG disagrees with you on this per his testimony yesterday...refuting the testimony of Miller.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  6. #716
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This may clear it up for you, and from the Washington Post no less....

    "Essentially, there are three types of laws that might conceivably have been broken, as Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged in his testimony before a House committee Wednesday:

    1) Civil rights laws that protect people from being discriminated against by the government

    2) The Hatch Act, which prevents civil servants from engaging in partisan political activity

    3) Perjury laws, which prevent people from lying to Congress

    For the third law to have been broken, Republicans would have to prove that IRS officials knew of improper targeting of conservatives and testified to the opposite effect. They have noted that then-IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman testified in March 2012 that there was no such targeting going on."

    ‘Who’s going to jail’ over IRS scandal? Probably nobody.


    Now I know that all you and Guy are doing here is trying to defend the act because you truly don't see anything wrong with what happened, (even though if tables were turned, you'd be screaming from the treetops) but, I can assure you the WH is taking a dangerous path here.
    here was the post you were referencing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, there was nothing even remotely criminal going on here. Just hard working, apolitical career-bureaucrats doing the best job they could with limited resources, only to be turned into a political football by conservative political opportunists.
    and what we find is that there is nothing found illegal
    not that it isn't obvious you wish there was evidence of illegal activity
    because if it was actually present you would be showing us evidence of it
    instead, all you are able to present is a newspaper article outlining three POSSIBLE illegal scenarios, NONE of them actually found to be present
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #717
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Apparently the IG disagrees with you on this per his testimony yesterday...refuting the testimony of Miller.
    share with us what he said is found to have been illegal
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #718
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and joko proposes to both prosecute them and sue them for damages without having even a sniff of evidence of wrongdoing
    and he says he wears a badge. that is the scary part
    I don't think there's any question that wrongdoing occurred, otherwise they wouldn't have apologized.

    Inspector general's report on the IRS - Documents - Los Angeles Times
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #719
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    share with us what he said is found to have been illegal
    Ok, I will as soon as the transcript comes out else I fear this will devolve into a insincere repudiation based on lack of evidence...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  10. #720
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    From the report:

    WHAT TIGTA FOUND
    The IRS used inappropriate criteria that
    identified for review Tea Party and other
    organizations applying for tax-exempt status
    based upon their names or policy positions
    instead of indications of potential political
    campaign intervention. Ineffective management:
    1) allowed inappropriate criteria to be developed
    and stay in place for more than 18 months,
    2) resulted in substantial delays in processing
    certain applications, and 3) allowed unnecessary
    information requests to be issued.
    Although the processing of some applications
    with potential significant political campaign

    intervention was started soon after receipt, no
    work was completed on the majority of these
    applications for 13 months.
    This was due to
    delays in receiving assistance from the Exempt
    Organizations function Headquarters office.
    For the 296 total political campaign intervention
    applications TIGTA reviewed as of
    December 17, 2012, 108 had been approved,
    28 were withdrawn by the applicant, none had
    been denied, and 160 were open from 206 to
    1,138 calendar days (some for more than
    three years and crossing two election cycles
    ).
    More than 20 months after the initial case was
    identified, processing the cases began in
    earnest. Many organizations received requests
    for additional information from the IRS that
    included unnecessary, burdensome questions
    (e.g., lists of past and future donors).
    The IRS
    later informed some organizations that they did
    not need to provide previously requested
    information. IRS officials stated that any donor
    information received in response to a request
    from its Determinations Unit was later destroyed.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •