Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 732

Thread: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups[W:484,732]

  1. #361
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Rob, Obama's tearing down your party.
    1) Obama isn't tearing down anything

    2) It's not "my" party. I know it's probably incomprehensible to you that there are people out there that don't exactly subscribe to one party or the other whole hog style. I'm a liberal to the extent that the Dems pretty much are not near liberal enough for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton
    Are you a Democrat or Obama supporter because he could give a rats ass about the legacy of the Democrat party.
    I'm a supporter of policies I want to see happen. Again, I know this must be hard for you to grasp but Obama pisses me off in certain aspects but those aspects are what you probably like most about him... or should I say hate least about him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton
    Once the press turns against him who does he have left ?

    HOJ and HollyWood.
    He'll still stand towering over the GOP congress by leaps in bounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't this IRS thing about ascertaining eligibility for tax exempt status ?..............
    Yeah, I actually fail to see the issue here. The IRS should be vigorously investigating phony rightwing lobby groups that want to use my tax dollars by carrying on their activities tax free. It's outrageous it isn't investigating them more thoroughly in the wake of Citizens United, which let lose a spate of Koch-funded front groups.

    It's not the IRS's fault that corporations and the rich created hundreds of this front organizations while progressives didn't.

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    As long as the requirements are pertinent to the request and applied equally to all applicants, no harm no foul. This thing is about using a governmental position to make acquiring tax exempt status more difficult for groups which hold views counter to what the governmental employees held.
    Well if you have a rush of new applications for tax exemption from alot of groups around an election, wouldn't it make sense that those increased numbers would result in an increased number of alot of those groups being scrutinized ? And the counter push from the Tea Party groups against the scrutiny is that they aren't pushing for any particular political party, something that no one actually believes in the first place...................

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    As long as the requirements are pertinent to the request and applied equally to all applicants, no harm no foul. This thing is about using a governmental position to make acquiring tax exempt status more difficult for groups which hold views counter to what the governmental employees held.
    I guess the real issue, which of course hasn't been reported on by the lazy media, is what percentage of applicants had an obvious rightwing agenda (as discerned by their names) as opposed to those with a leftwing agenda.

    I suspect (but don't know) that Citizen United released a spate of Koch-backed rightwing front groups trying to use my tax dollars to illegally support tea party types. I suspect that there wasn't a concomitant increase in progressive groups.

    So the IRS SHOULD be vigorously investigating these rightwing shills. I think the IRS commissioner was stupid to apologize to Koch and his ilk. He should have come out swinging.

  5. #365
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    I would be surprised to see a correlation between the increased scrutiny of these "charities" and rampant attempts of voter fraud by the GOP.

    Not that I condone focusing deliberately on one group over another.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Well if you have a rush of new applications for tax exemption from alot of groups around an election, wouldn't it make sense that those increased numbers would result in an increased number of alot of those groups being scrutinized ? And the counter push from the Tea Party groups against the scrutiny is that they aren't pushing for any particular political party, something that no one actually believes in the first place...................
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #366
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    I would be surprised to see a correlation between the increased scrutiny of these "charities" and rampant attempts of voter fraud by the GOP.

    Not that I condone focusing deliberately on one group over another.
    Right. And next to attempted nationwide voter suppression by the Right in the same election, this is strictly a tiddlywinks game......................

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    I would be surprised to see a correlation between the increased scrutiny of these "charities" and rampant attempts of voter fraud by the GOP.

    Not that I condone focusing deliberately on one group over another.
    Generally the rightwing noise machine come up with fake controversy (like the ACORN circus) when it's trying to cover up its own misdeed.

    Thus Issa and Grassly went after Fast and Furious to suppress the GOP's participation in the more disastrous Wide Receiver fiasco of Bush's.

    This attack on the IRS sounds like its the result of the IRS finding massive fraud by Koch front groups. The GOP saw it would be in more political trouble for this, so it cooked up this story.. It's the modus operandi of the rightwing noise machine.

  8. #368
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,382

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Well if you have a rush of new applications for tax exemption from alot of groups around an election, wouldn't it make sense that those increased numbers would result in an increased number of alot of those groups being scrutinized ? And the counter push from the Tea Party groups against the scrutiny is that they aren't pushing for any particular political party, something that no one actually believes in the first place...................
    As long as it was applied equally I will agree 100%. In this case it was not and regardless of who did it to whom is intolerable or should be at least.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    As long as it was applied equally I will agree 100%. In this case it was not and regardless of who did it to whom is intolerable or should be at least.
    How do you know it wasn't? Has anybody provided evidence about the number of rightwing front organizations that sprung up in the wake of Citizens United versus progressive groups? I'd like to see the statistics. I expect that the number of conservative shill group application exploded and made up the bulk of the applications the IRS had to review.

  10. #370
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,382

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Generally the rightwing noise machine come up with fake controversy (like the ACORN circus) when it's trying to cover up its own misdeed.

    Thus Issa and Grassly went after Fast and Furious to suppress the GOP's participation in the more disastrous Wide Receiver fiasco of Bush's.

    This attack on the IRS sounds like its the result of the IRS finding massive fraud by Koch front groups. The GOP saw it would be in more political trouble for this, so it cooked up this story.. It's the modus operandi of the rightwing noise machine.
    Wow. You make it seem so obvious that I cannot believe Obama and all those congressmen and senators fell for it. You really need to be making some calls.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •