Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 732

Thread: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups[W:484,732]

  1. #271
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,157

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Make up your mind. Friend or associate? You say one, then imply the other.


    Now a business associate is different. I should have specified, and I think Obomba has countless unethical friends rather than just associates.

    The personal friends Obomba had in the past should have disqualified him from any ethical person's vote in my opinion.
    I don't know anymore about how well Bush knew Ken Lay than anybody else does about how well Obama knew Ayres. Maybe just acquaintances, maybe business associates, maybe secret gay lovers....I'm not accusing, I just don't know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #272
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says

    Looks like it went beyond just being conservative only, unless you want to count teaching people about the Constitution as being conservative.
    The IRS targeted groups that probably should have been targeted, but for the wrong reason. By definition 501(c)(4) groups are not allowed to have a predominatly politial purpose. Instead, that status is reserved for social welfare groups. Good examples of legitimate 501(c)(4) groups are the AARP and the NRA.

    What happened in 2010 was that in the aftermath of Citizens United, corporations were suddenly allowed to contribute unlimited amounts of money to influence political campaigns. However, most corporations and CEO's didn't want to have their names and reputations associated with a candidate or position. They wanted to influence elections anonomously, gaining the benifits of supporting a candidate without the backlash from the other side.

    By the spirit of the law, these groups should have been filed as tax exempt 527's which are intended primariliy to influence elections. By filing as a 527, they would have been allowed unlimited participation in politics and would have been excempt from the lengthy application process. However, they would have had to make their donors public. Instead they filed as 501(c)(4) groups for the sole purpose of hiding their donors.

    In summary: 527's are allowed to be predominatly political, but must release donors. 501(c)(4)'s must not be predominatly political, are much harder to obtain, require far more paperwork, are subject to many more restrictions, but don't have to release donors.

    After 2010 there was an explosion of these groups. Before Citizens' united there were around 1500. That doubled over the next year or so. The biggest push was amoung conservative groups. However, liberal groups were also guilty of this abuse.

    Filing as a 501(c)(4) was an attempt by many of these groups to skirt the law. It's really impossible to read it any other way. The IRS rightly attempted to crack down on this abuse. However, it did it in a very un-American way. The guidleines should have targeted political groups in general, rather than singling out conservative issues.

    This is a significant issue, and it warrents a thorough public investigation. However, it's nothing like Nixon's white house auditing members of the political opposition. For one, the head of the IRS was a Bush appointee.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    I really don't see any problem with investigating teabaggers for tax evasion. After all it is a major platform of their party to not pay any taxes. In my honest opinion it is the job of the IRS to profile and investigate any group who rallies against paying taxes.
    Its like the dept of homeland security investigating middle easterners who go to anti American rallies...That is what their job is to do.
    If not them... Who?

  4. #274
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    You are right, in some cases the RWers are all for profiling, but in others, not so much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I really don't see any problem with investigating teabaggers for tax evasion. After all it is a major platform of their party to not pay any taxes. In my honest opinion it is the job of the IRS to profile and investigate any group who rallies against paying taxes.
    Its like the dept of homeland security investigating middle easterners who go to anti American rallies...That is what their job is to do.
    If not them... Who?
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #275
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    You are right, in some cases the RWers are all for profiling, but in others, not so much...
    Which cases would those be?

    What's so scary to me is that any citizen would defend the despicable actions of the IRS here.

  6. #276
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    How is that defending the IRS, I pointed out a double standard on the right. In airports/elsewhere the right wingers are all for racial profiling, but one of the Tea Party's mantra is anti tax, so they IRS profiles them. Boom, the TP dont like profiling. IF I was defending the IRS I would be trying to defend profiling, I am not.
    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Which cases would those be?

    What's so scary to me is that any citizen would defend the despicable actions of the IRS here.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,274

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    One scandal after another? You don't know
    what you're talking about.

    Prove your BS. Show us the scandals.


    BTW:

    So much for your "political scum of Chicago" theory.

    Fast and Furious
    Benghazi
    IRS targeting Conservatives
    Illegal wire tapping of the AP

    I realize your going to follow that idiot right into the ground.

    The IRS and Benhhazi and the Wire Tapping, ?

    Not going away. Next time sit out the election if your'e incapable of being objective. Quit subjecting the rest of American to your scum bags.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,274

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    How is that defending the IRS, I pointed out a
    double standard on the right. In airports/elsewhere the right wingers are all for racial profiling, but one of the Tea Party's mantra is anti tax, so they IRS profiles them. Boom, the TP dont like profiling. IF I was defending the IRS I would be trying to defend profiling, I am not.
    one of the safest airlines to fly on is El Al.

    How do you think they maintain their record ? By harrasing blonde Hair Blue eyed little girls ?

    Its no double standard.

    Its just you trying to slink around the truth so you can defend your corrupt ideology.

  9. #279
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Fast and Furious
    Benghazi
    IRS targeting Conservatives
    Illegal wire tapping of the AP

    I realize your going to follow that idiot right into the ground.

    The IRS and Benhhazi and the Wire Tapping, ?

    Not going away. Next time sit out the election if your'e incapable of being objective. Quit subjecting the rest of American to your scum bags.
    Right now the "scumbags" are part of the government, and right now your side needs their cooperation to actually govern.

    If this mess is going to be solved you need both party's on board to fix the problem.

    Ah gotta love bicameral legestaures and divided government.

  10. #280
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    No, again having audits done on political enemies is not defendable. I am not trying to. I am just pointing out mindless double standards on the right. I am not the one slinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    one of the safest airlines to fly on is El Al.

    How do you think they maintain their record ? By harrasing blonde Hair Blue eyed little girls ?

    Its no double standard.

    Its just you trying to slink around the truth so you can defend your corrupt ideology.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •