Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 732

Thread: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups[W:484,732]

  1. #211
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post

    Wonder what former IRS lawyer Michelle Bachmann thinks?

    This is absolutely disturbing. Just another reason to abolish the IRS.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    While I understand your point and do not believe there is a 'massive conspiracy' the excerpt you provided reveals 'initiated'. Were these 'low-level workers' not supervised? Was supervision so disengaged they didn't say 'hey, why are we targeting only 'right wing' entities'? Or do the IRS workers have the autonomy to approach their duties all 'willy nilly'? For reasons Dig's pointed out, this is potentially dangerous.

    Reminds me of students hesitant to take on professors' comments/positions for fear of grade retribution.
    All 501(c)(3)s get scrutinized, especially if they are political in nature. Randomly or if they throw up a "flag".

    I have friends with a 501(c)(3), they are meticulous about remaining non-political for this reason.

    So it wouldn't be unusual for a group to be examined. Groups are examined regularly. I'm sure there's a division just FOR this kind of review. To prevent fraud, if nothing else. Reviewers probably get rewarded for ferreting out offending groups.

    The IRS is all about the money.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    All 501(c)(3)s get scrutinized, especially if they are political in nature. Randomly or if they throw up a "flag".

    I have friends with a 501(c)(3), they are meticulous about remaining non-political for this reason.

    So it wouldn't be unusual for a group to be examined. Groups are examined regularly. I'm sure there's a division just FOR this kind of review. To prevent fraud, if nothing else. Reviewers probably get rewarded for ferreting out offending groups.

    The IRS is all about the money.
    according to the IRS , that "flag" has been any group with the words "tea party" OR "Patriot" in it's name.....

  4. #214
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,479

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    according to the IRS , that "flag" has been any group with the words "tea party" OR "Patriot" in it's name.....
    It's even a bit more ominous than that.
    On Jan, 25, 2012, the criteria for flagging suspect groups was changed to, "political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform/movement," the report says.
    IRS Knew Tea Party Was Being Targeted In 2011: Report
    Targeting "political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform/movement," is incredibly ugly. Hell, even a Centrist takes offense at that.

  5. #215
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Wonder what former IRS lawyer Michelle Bachmann thinks?

    This is absolutely disturbing. Just another reason to abolish the IRS.
    Who cares what she thinks?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #216
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    according to the IRS , that "flag" has been any group with the words "tea party" OR "Patriot" in it's name.....
    That's what's bothersome. I understand that they want to look and make sure it's in accordance with the law. I object to targeting certain groups because of their affiliation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Maybe. I do wonder if ALL the emails of, say, ThinkProgress, were ever requested. I somehow doubt it. I could be wrong, but again, I doubt it.
    If they had been you would be hearing them say that. We are hearing nothing from left leaning groups.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It... really isn't. In fact, Fascism tends to evolve in opposition to an existing socialist structure.

    I can post 20 different links that have the same general definition of fascism if you like. When the rest of the world has a different definition of a word than you do, perhaps you are the one with the incorrect definition.

    And if you'd seen me post in the other threads, you'd see where I defined this behavior as "inexcusable."

    But let's not let the facts get in your way, eh chief? Keep on ranting! I mean, personally I'd post some kind of evidence of what you say. Perhaps somebody else defining fascism this way. But that's just me. I like evidence and whatnot.
    The reason the definition of fascism is "evolving" is because the left keeps trying to change the definition, and the language. Orwell explained this very well.

    Have a look at some genuine history based on facts. A VOTERS' GUIDE TO REPUBLICANS - YouTube

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's what's bothersome. I understand that they want to look and make sure it's in accordance with the law. I object to targeting certain groups because of their affiliation.
    agreed...

  10. #220
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: IRS apologizes for inappropriately targeting conservative political groups in 201

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The reason the definition of fascism is "evolving" is because the left keeps trying to change the definition, and the language. Orwell explained this very well.

    Have a look at some genuine history based on facts. A VOTERS' GUIDE TO REPUBLICANS - YouTube
    It's not "evolving." It has specific meaning. People often use the word "fascist" to mean a general authoritarianism, but that's inaccurate.

    Fascism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •