Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Minnesota House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

  1. #1
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A pivotal vote Thursday in the Minnesota House positioned that state to become the 12th in the country to allow gay marriages and the first in the Midwest to pass such a law out of its Legislature. The 75-59 vote was a critical step for the measure, which would allow same-sex weddings beginning this summer. It’s a startling shift in the state, where just six months earlier voters turned back an effort to ban them in the Minnesota Constitution.
    The state Senate plans to consider the bill Monday and leaders expect it to pass there too. Gov. Mark Dayton has pledged to sign it into law.
    Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59 ę CBS Minnesota

    Good news for SSM supporters.

    Edit: If need be, please edit title. I tried to put back the abbreviation in the tread title, but I seemed to have not had it go through.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-09-13 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Title change
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #2
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Ugh, I hate it when we progress as a species.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  3. #3
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59 ę CBS Minnesota

    Good news for SSM supporters.

    Edit: If need be, please edit title. I tried to put back the abbreviation in the tread title, but I seemed to have not had it go through.
    Yawn. Still don't see a reason that is rational to be against gay marriage.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #4
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Yawn. Still don't see a reason that is rational to be against gay marriage.
    I was pleased it wasn't something up for public vote.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #5
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Good the time will come one day when all 50 states have equality.


  6. #6
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Good the time will come one day when all 50 states have equality.
    When will I be able to marry my first cousin, she's hot, and when will I be able to marry more the one woman?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59 ę CBS Minnesota

    Good news for SSM supporters.

    Edit: If need be, please edit title. I tried to put back the abbreviation in the tread title, but I seemed to have not had it go through.
    Good on Minnesota and the previous 11 states. I'm chagrined that my very blue and progressive state, Oregon, is not on the forefront of this movement. In fact, to my shame, the voters passed a constitutional amendment asserting marriage is one man and one woman in 2004. Thankfully a ballot initiative has been launched this year to bring this back for a vote in 2014. Guess it would be too much to expect our legislature to act first.

    Kudos all around here though.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    When will I be able to marry my first cousin, she's hot, and when will I be able to marry more the one woman?
    You can in good chunk of states.
    State laws and cousin marriage | Cousin Marriage Resources


  9. #9
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    You can marry her as soon as I'm done with her.

    Cousin marriage legal
    Alabama
    Alaska
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina*
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Virginia

    You can marry as many women as you can afford but if I were you, I'd be very careful that they don't find out about each other. Safety first!

  10. #10
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Minn. House Approves Gay Marriage, 75-59

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    You can marry her as soon as I'm done with her.

    Cousin marriage legal
    Alabama
    Alaska
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina*
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Virginia

    You can marry as many women as you can afford but if I were you, I'd be very careful that they don't find out about each other. Safety first!
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •