Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 251

Thread: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

  1. #221
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,771
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Yes. Unlike the rest of us, when he stole the money they allowed him to simply pay back and voila... no crime.
    It's done all the time, in the private sector and in federal, state and local government. If you add a private segment to business travel, you just pay the difference. It's routine.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #222
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It's done all the time, in the private sector and in federal, state and local government. If you add a private segment to business travel, you just pay the difference. It's routine.
    He buried that he did it and after he got caught using taxpayer money, ONE YEAR LATER he then paid it back. No, that isn't what's done all the time. That's stealing, getting caught and then allowed to skate out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #223
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,771
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    He buried that he did it and after he got caught using taxpayer money, ONE YEAR LATER he then paid it back. No, that isn't what's done all the time. That's stealing, getting caught and then allowed to skate out of it.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Depends entirely on the accounting/auditing system. I've seen this/done this in both the private sector and in the federal government. Sometimes you pay as you go; sometimes you reimburse after the auditors have done their calculations. And a year after the fact is not out of line in the latter case.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #224
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Depends entirely on the accounting/auditing system. I've seen this/done this in both the private sector and in the federal government. Sometimes you pay as you go; sometimes you reimburse after the auditors have done their calculations. And a year after the fact is not out of line in the latter case.
    Just because a practice is common place, does that make it a right and acceptable action by a Governor?
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  5. #225
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,771
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    Just because a practice is common place, does that make it a right and acceptable action by a Governor?
    It is right and acceptable for all civil servants in federal, state and local government, and it's right and acceptable in the private sector too.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #226
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Yes. Unlike the rest of us, when he stole the money they allowed him to simply pay back and voila... no crime.
    Obama does it all the time and you don't seem too bothered by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obama does it all the time and you don't seem too bothered by that.
    Do you have an actual moment where Obama was caught doing this and was censured for doing it? Or is this just that you think Obama is doing it and you are just spouting crap because you want it to be true? You see, rick was caught doing it.

    Oh, and this may be something that is allowed for rich people, but you can be damned sure if you are not rich and powerful and you are caught using taxpayer funds for a trip to argentinia to get a "soul mate," as rick calls his argentinian whores, you will be charged criminally and forced to pay the money back in restitution. This sort of treatment is only normal for a certain class of person, which means it is not actually normal, it is actually an exception to how normal people are treated, which is made for abnormal people.

  8. #228
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,887

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Depends entirely on the accounting/auditing system. I've seen this/done this in both the private sector and in the federal government. Sometimes you pay as you go; sometimes you reimburse after the auditors have done their calculations. And a year after the fact is not out of line in the latter case.
    Which is why he waited until he was caught to pay it back. Sanford can do no wrong in your eyes. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #229
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Do you have an actual moment where Obama was caught doing this and was censured for doing it? Or is this just that you think Obama is doing it and you are just spouting crap because you want it to be true? You see, rick was caught doing it.

    Oh, and this may be something that is allowed for rich people, but you can be damned sure if you are not rich and powerful and you are caught using taxpayer funds for a trip to argentinia to get a "soul mate," as rick calls his argentinian whores, you will be charged criminally and forced to pay the money back in restitution. This sort of treatment is only normal for a certain class of person, which means it is not actually normal, it is actually an exception to how normal people are treated, which is made for abnormal people.
    The Obamas blow millions on phoney vacations every year. It's common knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #230
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: Ex-SC Gov. Sanford back in political office

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Which is why he waited until he was caught to pay it back. Sanford can do no wrong in your eyes. lol
    Did the guy that ramrods the GSA go to jail? How many millions did he blow on hot-tubs and penthouses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •