Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 442

Thread: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

  1. #391
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Obama didn't exaggerate the threat Iraq was and put use in a war which cost 4500+ of our troops lives and thousands of life altering injuries.

    Obama did oversee the greatest recession since the Great Depression.
    "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

    "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

    "Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

    "He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

    "[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

    "Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

    "There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

    "We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
    -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

    "We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

    "The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

    "I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

    "There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

    "He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
    -- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

    "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

    "We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

    "Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

    LOL ! Swing and a miss ....

    You guys don't care about dead troops unless you can use them for your political purposes. Notice all of the current activism against the war in Afghanistan ?

    And Obama oversaw a recession and then extended it and made it worse.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  2. #392
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    BWHAHAHAHAHA !! That the corrupt Democrat Franklin Raines packaged and distributed ?

    You DO realize Fannie was the first to package and distribute MBSs and started in 1997 right ?

    You DO realize by 2004 Fannie Mae owned 40% of ALL private MBSs right ?

    Unbelievable you Democrats are so lacking of fundamental pertinent infomation.
    Sources please.

    Without the Democrats mandating of lower lending standards for banks and the GSEs there would not have been a bubble and without a bubble those securities would have been worthless.
    The bubble was created by low interest rates that created high demand raising home prices. It wasn't low income people purchasing homes they couldn't afford. It was middle income people using the equity to purchase a better home or using it for other things.

    The Democrats didn't have control of the House between 1995 and 2007 so there is no way they could have mandated anything.

    You should do a little research and find out WHO asked for those securities to be Tripple AAA rated.

    You need a hint ? It wasnt GW Bush

    WASHINGTON As the economy worsens and Election Day approaches, a conservative campaign that blames the global financial crisis on a government push to make housing more affordable to lower-class Americans has taken off on talk radio and e-mail.

    Commentators say that's what triggered the stock market meltdown and the freeze on credit. They've specifically targeted the mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which the federal government seized on Sept. 6, contending that lending to poor and minority Americans caused Fannie's and Freddie's financial problems.

    Federal housing data reveal that the charges aren't true, and that the private sector, not the government or government-backed companies, was behind the soaring subprime lending at the core of the crisis.

    Subprime lending offered high-cost loans to the weakest borrowers during the housing boom that lasted from 2001 to 2007. Subprime lending was at its height from 2004 to 2006.

    Read more here: Private sector loans, not Fannie or Freddie, triggered crisis | McClatchy
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #393
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

    "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

    "Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

    "He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

    "[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

    "Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

    "There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

    "We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
    -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

    "We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

    "The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

    "I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

    "There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

    "He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
    -- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

    "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

    "We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

    "Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

    LOL ! Swing and a miss ....

    You guys don't care about dead troops unless you can use them for your political purposes. Notice all of the current activism against the war in Afghanistan ?
    Why didn't President Bush allow UN weapons inspector Hans Blix to complete his task?

    And Obama oversaw a recession and then extended it and made it worse.
    Bull

  4. #394
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Sources please.



    The bubble was created by low interest rates that created high demand raising home prices. It wasn't low income people purchasing homes they couldn't afford. It was middle income people using the equity to purchase a better home or using it for other things.

    The Democrats didn't have control of the House between 1995 and 2007 so there is no way they could have mandated anything.




    WASHINGTON — As the economy worsens and Election Day approaches, a conservative campaign that blames the global financial crisis on a government push to make housing more affordable to lower-class Americans has taken off on talk radio and e-mail.

    Commentators say that's what triggered the stock market meltdown and the freeze on credit. They've specifically targeted the mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which the federal government seized on Sept. 6, contending that lending to poor and minority Americans caused Fannie's and Freddie's financial problems.

    Federal housing data reveal that the charges aren't true, and that the private sector, not the government or government-backed companies, was behind the soaring subprime lending at the core of the crisis.

    Subprime lending offered high-cost loans to the weakest borrowers during the housing boom that lasted from 2001 to 2007. Subprime lending was at its height from 2004 to 2006.

    Read more here: Private sector loans, not Fannie or Freddie, triggered crisis | McClatchy
    LOL !!!

    McClatchy...????? Wow....his one dimensional retarded analysis of the Sub-Prime collapse ignores the fact that by 2008 Fannie and Freddie held 5 trillion in loans or TOXIC MBS's that were backed by sub-prime loans.

    1.7 TRILLION in CRA alone. Where do you think Bernake's buying all of those MBS from ? You know he's spending 43 billion a month buying up MBS.

    In short, because I just got through posting 5 pages of information on another thread regarding this exact subject, Clinton through executive order changed the standards of banks and Fannie and Freddie via threats from his AG, installed a bunch of corrupt Democrats to run both of those GSE's into the ground and rip off the American People, and then signed laws like the Grahm-Leachey Act and the Commodities Futures Modernization Act to remove oversight from CDO's.

    He also signed the Riegle- Neal Act that tied a banks CRA score to their ability to acquire new properties or move into new areas.

    So he had a seller, and a guaranteed buyer ( Fannie and Freddie ) lowered the Capital Requirements on mortgages bought by Fannie and Freddie to 3% and a bubble was created.

    McClatchky fails to understand the simple concept of how bubbles work, and how securities associated with that bubble increase in value.

    I mean, I assumed you knew that Fannie and Freddie INVENTED the MBS's. There is no accounting for the low information voter.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  5. #395
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh, I'm sure you've wet the socialist route, but this isn't just about you.
    What an odd claim. You accuse me of calling Obama a socialist, yet you elect not to back up your claim with any proof of this. So, I guess we can dismiss your silliness here.

    His thinking is no more socialist than Bush's was.
    When George W. Bush made the statement that "We have to abandon the free market principles, in order to save the free market" I called foul loudly. At the time I said that was a progressive idea, and wrong.

    There is really no major difference between the parties.
    Between the parties? Considering that both parties are replete with progressives these days, you may be right about that. Which is why Constitutional Conservatives have to stand up and fight against destructive progressive policies.

    This tactic by your side of the isle is nothing more that an outdated, weak attempt to marginalize without having to actually engage in the larger and more accurate debate.
    I have the feeling that your attempt to frame the debate, is just a ploy to deflect from what is the true, or should be the true debate here which is the phony numbers we are fed and told not to question.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #396
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    LOL !!!

    McClatchy...????? Wow....his one dimensional retarded analysis of the Sub-Prime collapse ignores the fact that by 2008 Fannie and Freddie held 5 trillion in loans or TOXIC MBS's that were backed by sub-prime loans.

    1.7 TRILLION in CRA alone. Where do you think Bernake's buying all of those MBS from ? You know he's spending 43 billion a month buying up MBS.

    In short, because I just got through posting 5 pages of information on another thread regarding this exact subject, Clinton through executive order changed the standards of banks and Fannie and Freddie via threats from his AG, installed a bunch of corrupt Democrats to run both of those GSE's into the ground and rip off the American People, and then signed laws like the Grahm-Leachey Act and the Commodities Futures Modernization Act to remove oversight from CDO's.

    He also signed the Riegle- Neal Act that tied a banks CRA score to their ability to acquire new properties or move into new areas.

    So he had a seller, and a guaranteed buyer ( Fannie and Freddie ) lowered the Capital Requirements on mortgages bought by Fannie and Freddie to 3% and a bubble was created.

    McClatchky fails to understand the simple concept of how bubbles work, and how securities associated with that bubble increase in value.

    I mean, I assumed you knew that Fannie and Freddie INVENTED the MBS's. There is no accounting for the low information voter.
    You call me a low information voter, yet you apparently don't know who wrote the Grahm-Leachey Act and the Commodities Futures Modernization Act.

  7. #397
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What an odd claim. You accuse me of calling Obama a socialist, yet you elect not to back up your claim with any proof of this. So, I guess we can dismiss your silliness here.
    Just not limiting it to you, and I added more than you do. You do the socialist thing.

    When George W. Bush made the statement that "We have to abandon the free market principles, in order to save the free market" I called foul loudly. At the time I said that was a progressive idea, and wrong.
    Don't recall that, but even that doesn't match how you approach Obama. With Obama you go full hyperbolic mode.


    Between the parties? Considering that both parties are replete with progressives these days, you may be right about that. Which is why Constitutional Conservatives have to stand up and fight against destructive progressive policies.
    Nonsense. You merely making excuses. Such distinctions were never really made when republicans were in charge, and there was no difference then. None.

    I have the feeling that your attempt to frame the debate, is just a ploy to deflect from what is the true, or should be the true debate here which is the phony numbers we are fed and told not to question.
    The numbers are no more funny than they've ever been. You and others only see it when you want to. That's my point. Either address or don't. But I am correct about that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #398
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You call me a low information voter, yet you
    apparently don't know who wrote the Grahm-Leachey Act and the Commodities Futures Modernization Act.
    Lol...who signed it ?

    Not too mention with out the Home Owners Stategy and the placement of a Criminal as the head of Fannie Mae the passage of those two bills wouldn't have amounted to squat.

    If Clinton thought those two Bills were a detriment to the Govts regatory Control over Banks maybe he should have just ignored them.

  9. #399
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Lol...who signed it ?

    Not too mention with out the Home Owners Stategy and the placement of a Criminal as the head of Fannie Mae the passage of those two bills wouldn't have amounted to squat.

    If Clinton thought those two Bills were a detriment to the Govts regatory Control over Banks maybe he should have just ignored them.
    In your opinion should he have signed the two bills? What do the do?

  10. #400
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: U.S. unemployment falls to 7.5% in April [W: 348, 360]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I have the feeling that your attempt to frame the debate, is just a ploy to deflect from what is the true, or should be the true debate here which is the phony numbers we are fed and told not to question.
    What specifically are you claiming makes them phony, and are you claiming they're only phony under Obama or that they've always been phony?

    Who's telling you not to question them? The problem is that most of the "questions" I've heard reveal a complete ignorance of the actual methodology and/or purpose of the numbers. For example, the UE rate is not a measurement of poverty or poor circumstances...a multi-millionaire can be unemployed and is counted just the same as anyone else.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •