Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

  1. #21
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You watch too many movies.
    And you're way over confident in quarantine protocols. Again, a deadly flu strain would initially be mistook for a common one allowing significant spread time. Doesn't take a movie to see the common sense of that.

  2. #22
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Isn't that nice to know, the people that are intending to "save" humanity through vaccines are creating situations that could see millions dead.

    'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for creating new strains of influenza virus in veterinary laboratory


    Edit : forgot the link...

    'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for creating new strains of influenza virus in veterinary laboratory - Science - News - The Independent
    'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for creating new strains of influenza virus in veterinary laboratory - Science - News - The Independent
    They may have created it in order to profit from its cure. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I just simply don't trust the motives of medicine when it comes to drug profits.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #23
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    And you're way over confident in quarantine protocols. Again, a deadly flu strain would initially be mistook for a common one allowing significant spread time. Doesn't take a movie to see the common sense of that.
    A strain causing a higher than normal percentage of deaths gets noticed immediately: See Swine Flu. It killed a handful of healthy adults and the entire planet went nuts. The end result was a virus less lethal than most strains because we reacted so strongly to it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A strain causing a higher than normal percentage of deaths gets noticed immediately: See Swine Flu. It killed a handful of healthy adults and the entire planet went nuts. The end result was a virus less lethal than most strains because we reacted so strongly to it.
    Yes, the swine flu was a novel strain, and didn't follow typical patterns for the flu... Even then, had that swine flu been a serious issue, most of the efforts would have been too little too late.

    That's without mentioning the push for an untested vaccine whose side-effects turned out worse than the flu itself.

    That does not forgive them for acting irresponsibly, and putting lives at risk. For at BEST a potential vaccine that may or may not be relevant to how the virus would mutate in the wild... But, risking creating a virus that causes the pandemic they "hope" to prevent.

  5. #25
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Yes, the swine flu was a novel strain, and didn't follow typical patterns for the flu... Even then, had that swine flu been a serious issue, most of the efforts would have been too little too late.

    That's without mentioning the push for an untested vaccine whose side-effects turned out worse than the flu itself.

    That does not forgive them for acting irresponsibly, and putting lives at risk. For at BEST a potential vaccine that may or may not be relevant to how the virus would mutate in the wild... But, risking creating a virus that causes the pandemic they "hope" to prevent.
    It is incredibly difficult for a virus to spread out of a laboratory. Life isn't a movie. Influenza is only airborne when aerosolized by a cough or sneeze. Petri dishes don't sneeze, even when you drop them on the floor. Even skin contact is insufficient, the virus pretty much has to enter the body through the mouth or nose. (or eyes I guess?) You'd basically have to spill the petri dish, get the stuff on your skin, and then touch your face with that exposed part.

    Just how retarded do you think workers in a lab containing infectious diseases are?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It is incredibly difficult for a virus to spread out of a laboratory. Life isn't a movie. Influenza is only airborne when aerosolized by a cough or sneeze. Petri dishes don't sneeze, even when you drop them on the floor. Even skin contact is insufficient, the virus pretty much has to enter the body through the mouth or nose. (or eyes I guess?) You'd basically have to spill the petri dish, get the stuff on your skin, and then touch your face with that exposed part.

    Just how retarded do you think workers in a lab containing infectious diseases are?
    So, the accidental release of a deadly virus would be pretty unlikely.

    What about the deliberate release?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #27
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The U.S. perfected small pox in a lab, making it 99% lethal. Then the Russians obtained some of that. Now some of it is missing and who knows who has it. We can't really point the finger.
    is there a cite for this?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #28
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, the accidental release of a deadly virus would be pretty unlikely.

    What about the deliberate release?
    What about deliberately crashing a plane into a building?

    Look, influenza would be a poor choice for a bioweapon. It's generally only lethal to infants and the elderly, and we've been doing flu vaccines for so long that developing one is practically routine by now. And bioweapons are a poor choice for mass destruction because they're uncontrollable. People aren't comic book supervillains, generally speaking, and I suspect that medical researchers have a lower instance of that insanity.

    Is it possible? Of course. But it's also possible that someone rams an airliner into a nuclear power plant that is across the street from an orphanage and Buffalo Wild Wings. At some point you have to just accept that a risk is sufficiently low, because nothing mankind does will ever be risk-free.
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-07-13 at 11:40 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What about deliberately crashing a plane into a building?

    Look, influenza would be a poor choice for a bioweapon. It's generally only lethal to infants and the elderly, and we've been doing flu vaccines for so long that developing one is practically routine by now. And bioweapons are a poor choice for mass destruction because they're uncontrollable. People aren't comic book supervillains, generally speaking, and I suspect that medical researchers have a lower instance of that insanity.
    What could be the point of creating new strains in the laboratory, then?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #30
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: 'Appalling irresponsibility': Senior scientists attack Chinese researchers for

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    What could be the point of creating new strains in the laboratory, then?
    Learning how strains evolve, finding better and faster ways to develop vaccines for them, preparing for a particular evolution that you anticipate could occur in the wild.

    China is a nation of over a billion people and they have some enormous and very dense city areas. They have even greater motivation to research infectious disease than we do.
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-07-13 at 11:45 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •