View Poll Results: Do you feel the commercial was racist?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    19 70.37%
  • Yes

    2 7.41%
  • Maybe

    2 7.41%
  • I like mashed potatoes

    4 14.81%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124

Thread: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

  1. #61
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    again simply not true LOL

    you are judging the actions of morons and applying it too the group, you realize that type of thinking is equal to that of the morons right?
    Seriously? Dood...I cited two relatively well known incidents that spawned months of outrage. Im not sure how old you are but apparently you missed those two incidents.

    You already biased the 'debate' by offering that the commercial was created by a black ad group. My perspective is that if it had just been tossed out there as an ad offered by some white ad company there would be more than a little bit of outrage and debate. And probably should have a bit. I dont think it is 'racist' but it certainly plays into stereotypes.

  2. #62
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Jeepers, you do not know me well. I am a lot of things, but a humourless tight-assed uppity I am not.
    well, you play one well on the internet

    I laugh at poopie and fart jokes.
    And I am sure you laughed at plenty of other jokes involvng ridiculous situations and violence, because you likely can grasp they are not meant to be serious, in anyway. But in this particular case, you throw such common sense out the window

    I find humour in a lot of stereotyping and sex differences jokes. It takes a lot to offend me. I foud this commercial completely stupid, asinine, utterly retarded and misogynistic. I don't give a rat's behind if you think it's not not a poke at females because it's over the top. I completely disagree.
    my point is if it involved an equally absurd depiction of any other group, you would find no offense in it, because of it's obvious absurdity

  3. #63
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    that people often shape their views of something on the racial identity of the person producing it, and not it's actual content. Not sure if it applies here, but I doubt many of the people who took offence to it even know who Tyler the Creator is. After all, he's still largely underground and is best known for his show on adult swim.

    Mf Doom, was probably more prolific than Tyer when he was working closely with adult swim, and most of america still had absolutely no idea who he was
    possibly but this is an assumption and since this info is out there very readily and they are continuing to get blasted reality shows it applies very little here
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #64
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Barrack the magic negro was something coined by some liberal black professor talking about how white america has some fascination with "the magic negro". Rush Limbaugh picked up on it and was immediately accused of being racist
    Ah, no.

    "Barack the Magic Negro"[2] is a song by American political satirist Paul Shanklin who wrote and recorded it for the Rush Limbaugh Show as satire after it was first applied to presidential candidate Obama by movie and culture critic David Ehrenstein in a Los Angeles Times op ed column of March 19, 2007.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #65
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    I find this commercial completely idiotic, which I believe it was a poor attempt at ironic humor. That's what happens when you've got a bunch of immature goofs in corporate executive positions, making decisions. Now if the goat would've thrown up they could've had their favorite (not funny) disgusting, bodily function added.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #66
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    id say th emjority familiar with it since every article i have found states the basic background info on it and people are still continuing to lambast it and even direct their basting towards the group they removed it from their site too
    There were no articles on the subject before people got outraged over it; I've seen articles mention Tylor, but they didn't outline that he was black; because information is accessable doesn't mean people will read it.

    In fact, the first mention of the magic negro theory was in a LA times op-ed, but people still credited to rush, even to this day

  7. #67
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Seriously? Dood...I cited two relatively well known incidents that spawned months of outrage. Im not sure how old you are but apparently you missed those two incidents.

    2.)You already biased the 'debate' by offering that the commercial was created by a black ad group. My perspective is that if it had just been tossed out there as an ad offered by some white ad company there would be more than a little bit of outrage and debate. And probably should have a bit. I dont think it is 'racist' but it certainly plays into stereotypes.
    1.) didnt miss them at all LMAO im probably older than you are, i pointed out the reality of you making shallow claims based on the actions of morons which is part of the problem.
    You are making illogical inane blanket statements and judgments.

    are you saying that all or the majority of minorities think that saying McNabb is overrated is racist? if yes then you have a reality issue, if no then again the issue is still on your side because it shows you are smart enough to know thats not how the majority of minorities think but yet you are making blanket statements accusing them of it.

    2.) there was no "AD GROUP" LOL
    and you perspective is wrong because this and the group are being blasted, the group had to take it off their website as well.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #68
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    well, you play one well on the internet



    And I am sure you laughed at plenty of other jokes involvng ridiculous situations and violence, because you likely can grasp they are not meant to be serious, in anyway. But in this particular case, you throw such common sense out the window



    my point is if it involved an equally absurd depiction of any other group, you would find no offense in it, because of it's obvious absurdity
    And my point being that it's one think to laugh at absurd jokes on the internet and it's another thing when absurdity is used for a national corporate campaign. There is a line that should not be crossed, don't you think?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  9. #69
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    There were no articles on the subject before people got outraged over it; I've seen articles mention Tylor, but they didn't outline that he was black; because information is accessable doesn't mean people will read it.

    In fact, the first mention of the magic negro theory was in a LA times op-ed, but people still credited to rush, even to this day

    if you say so but the fact remains now there are 100s maybe even a 1000 and the outrage continues. SO the reality is in this case race didnt play a factor, especially since the group itself has been blasted LOL
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #70
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Ah, no.
    did you just not read what you were quoting?

    from your quote:
    ***after*** it was first applied to presidential candidate Obama by movie and culture critic David Ehrenstein
    Obama the 'Magic Negro' - latimes.com

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •