Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 553

Thread: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

  1. #421
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    What term would you prefer? "Adds to"? "Tampers"? "Interferes with"?

    We don't know yet about the long-term safety of this drug when taken by growing girls, and we surely don't know what the impact might be on their future children. We do know that other "safe" drugs taken by women that contained hormones have later been proven to be deadly too often.

    And that's what I'm saying. I'm also saying that teens already indulging in risky behaviors--sex, pharm parties, etc.--are pretty likely to abuse this drug. I just don't think allowing a 15-year old to buy it OTC is sensible.

  2. #422
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    What term would you prefer? "Adds to"? "Tampers"? "Interferes with"?

    We don't know yet about the long-term safety of this drug when taken by growing girls, and we surely don't know what the impact might be on their future children. We do know that other "safe" drugs taken by women that contained hormones have later been proven to be deadly too often.

    And that's what I'm saying. I'm also saying that teens already indulging in risky behaviors--sex, pharm parties, etc.--are pretty likely to abuse this drug. I just don't think allowing a 15-year old to buy it OTC is sensible.
    Yes, we do know about the long term safety of Plan B, and all the evidence shows that it is safe. As far as what might possibly be, the truth is we can't say that any drug is 100% safe, yet you're not calling for all drugs to be recalled.

    And there's no evidence that anyone will abuse Plan B. It's not like it's a fun drug to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #423
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, we do know about the long term safety of Plan B, and all the evidence shows that it is safe. As far as what might possibly be, the truth is we can't say that any drug is 100% safe, yet you're not calling for all drugs to be recalled.

    And there's no evidence that anyone will abuse Plan B. It's not like it's a fun drug to take.
    You are surely more familiar with the studies than I, so please link me up to the longitudinal studies on young adolescent girls that indicate that in the long term, Plan B is safe.

  4. #424
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You are surely more familiar with the studies than I, so please link me up to the longitudinal studies on young adolescent girls that indicate that in the long term, Plan B is safe.
    Request denied
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #425
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Of course.

  6. #426
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    HHS Secretary Sibelius in 2011 [all bolding mine]:
    FDA has recommended approval of this application in its Summary Review for Regulatory Action on Plan B One-Step. After careful consideration of the FDA Summary Review, I have concluded that the data, submitted by Teva, do not conclusively establish that Plan B One-Step should be made available over the counter for all girls of reproductive age.

    The average age of the onset of menstruation for girls in the United States is 12.4 years. However, about ten percent of girls are physically capable of bearing children by 11.1 years of age. It is common knowledge that there are significant cognitive and behavioral differences between older adolescent girls and the youngest girls of reproductive age. ...Today’s action reflects my conclusion that the data provided as part of the actual use study and the label comprehension study are not sufficient to support making Plan B One-Step available to all girls 16 and younger, without talking to a health care professional.

    A Statement by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius

    From LifeNews:


    Jeanne Monahan, Director of Family Research Council’s Center for Human Dignity, told LifeNews after the decision: “A decision to make Plan B available for girls under the age of 17 without a prescription would not have been in the interest of young women’s health. Secretary Kathleen Sebelius was right to reject the FDA recommendation to make this potent drug available over the counter to young girls. In her own words, the research submitted to the FDA did not include data for all ages for which the drug would be used.”

    “Additionally, young people have approximately half of the sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) nationwide, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The availability of Plan B over-the-counter for all ages would have bypassed necessary routine medical care for sexually active girls. And a study released in 2010 revealed that adolescent use of Plan B was correlated with an increase in unplanned pregnancies and a high STD rate,” she said.

    Justice Department Appeals FDA Ruling Selling Plan B Pill to Teens | LifeNews.com

  7. #427
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Repeating nonsense from a Hate Group like FRC undermines your argument, which is pretty absurd to begin with

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #428
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Repeating nonsense from a Hate Group like FRC undermines your argument, which is pretty absurd to begin with
    So in other words, you don't have any sourcing to back your claims and are falling back on "kill the messenger." Alrighty then.

  9. #429
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    So in other words, you don't have any sourcing to back your claims and are falling back on "kill the messenger." Alrighty then.
    No

    You're the one who lacks any credible evidence
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #430
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Drug Agency Lowers Age For Next-Day Birth Control [W:297]

    Now you're just embarrassing yourself. But do go on.

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •