Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970
Results 691 to 699 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #691
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Just to add another positive voice into the crowd. Well done! Stamping out ignorance.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #692
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    the entire point of my argument was that merely discussing an event doesn't lend it legitimacy (contrary to your original claim).
    So you agree that your arguments were invalid because being a "topic of national conversation" is more than "merely discussing it".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #693
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    well.....apparently this wasn't such an earth shattering, landscape of sports altering event after-all.....
    It's too early to tell how landscape altering it will be. If it helps initiate a spate of active players coming out, it will be landscape altering. Just because the national conversation about it has died down doens't mean that it's effects are not still being played out.


    guess we'll just have to wait until the start of the next season and see if JC gets offered a contract.
    That will make a difference, because that'll be the real factor in the "active player" aspect of his coming out.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #694
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So you agree that your arguments were invalid because being a "topic of national conversation" is more than "merely discussing it".
    you never even define how "a topic of national conversation" is anything more than a discussion, or why such translates to something having inherent value. You just slap a label there and expect us to merely accept it as a declaration of unquestionable fact

    Usually tucker argument: I labeled it, therefore it is ...

  5. #695
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    you never even define how "a topic of national conversation" is anything more than a discussion, or why such translates to something having inherent value.
    I have defined it like ten times over. Where did you get the idea that I have not done so?

    Serious question: Do you know how adjectives work?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #696
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,265

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    So, the sports landscape is going to have curtains? Huh. How 'bout that.

  7. #697
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    you never even define how "a topic of national conversation" is anything more than a discussion, or why such translates to something having inherent value. You just slap a label there and expect us to merely accept it as a declaration of unquestionable fact

    Usually tucker argument: I labeled it, therefore it is ...
    Clearly this generated discussion, and many athletes added their (mostly positive) thoughts, which will make it easier for others to come out. That's the entire point! In fact, there's a collection of almost 200 comments from pro athletes, some of them surprisingly thoughtful. It certainly is not just a 'media flash in the pan,' because this does matter, to many people. I guess you think it should not. Well since this doesn't apply to you, I really doubt he or anyone else gives a damn.

    Soon they won't be talking about this in abstraction, about the hypothetical gay athlete, because it will be common, thanks to people like Collins. That you don't sense some immediate payoff does not mean that it was worthless/selfish/whatever negativity you want to attach to this guy.

    I was just reading about a high school football player who came out. This kid talked about how he was run out of town by his former team, and credited Collins for having the courage to be open after the first time backfired so badly.

    As i said before, if it helps one young person, which was a motivation for Collins if you actually read the article, then it succeeded. That's the value. If you can't understand that and still have some insatiable desire to crap all over the moment, then I do think you have a problem with the substance of what he is saying and not just the 'media agenda.'

  8. #698
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    tering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Clearly this generated discussion, and many athletes added their (mostly positive) thoughts, which will make it easier for others to come out. That's the entire point! In fact, there's a collection of almost 200 comments from pro athletes, some of them surprisingly thoughtful. It certainly is not just a 'media flash in the pan,' because this does matter, to many people. I guess you think it should not. Well since this doesn't apply to you, I really doubt he or anyone else gives a damn.

    Soon they won't be talking about this in abstraction, about the hypothetical gay athlete, because it will be common, thanks to people like Collins. That you don't sense some immediate payoff does not mean that it was worthless/selfish/whatever negativity you want to attach to this guy.

    I was just reading about a high school football player who came out. This kid talked about how he was run out of town by his former team, and credited Collins for having the courage to be open after the first time backfired so badly.

    As i said before, if it helps one young person, which was a motivation for Collins if you actually read the article, then it succeeded. That's the value. If you can't understand that and still have some insatiable desire to crap all over the moment, then I do think you have a problem with the substance of what he is saying and not just the 'media agenda.'
    Where did I claim it was selfish? My point is that it's unlikely to have much impact beyond the media circus.

  9. #699
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: tering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Where did I claim it was selfish? My point is that it's unlikely to have much impact beyond the media circus.
    I was just listing various negative comments I've seen. Probably the first to actually compete will be Robbie Rogers, this summer, and in turn that will help someone else and so on. That's the idea anyway.

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •