Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #641
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Every time they show a pro athlete with their girlfriend/#3/wife/fiance they are announcing it. The whole reason to come out is to not have to *hide* it anymore.
    they guy didn't get seen with his husband or boyfriend or whatever. He has done multiple interviews, magazine spreads and been all over every media outlet he can find telling everyone who will listen about his sexual preferences. And somehow that is the same as someone going out to dinner with their wife?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #642
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Does your newspaper not carry a crime section or something?
    Sure it does. But what is that going to do about reducing it? In case you missed it I was talking about actually discussing more worthwhile things.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #643
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,448

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Disagree, it would lead to discussion like this thread even if he only said it in a tweet or whatever. It's a big deal like it or not. If it wasn't, there would be dozens of pro athletes who have taken this step by now.
    It is a big deal tyo a very small group of people. It is not a big deal to the majority of the American public. Like it or not.

    The fact that Obama called the guy personally to tell him he is a good guy for admitting he is gay, is about as rediculous as I have seen.

    The media and the White House are making sure this is a big story. It would not be otherwise.

  4. #644
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    It is a big deal tyo a very small group of people. It is not a big deal to the majority of the American public. Like it or not.

    The fact that Obama called the guy personally to tell him he is a good guy for admitting he is gay, is about as rediculous as I have seen.

    The media and the White House are making sure this is a big story. It would not be otherwise.
    That's how you push an agenda to a mostly ill informed people. The one's that know all the details will not be swayed, the one's that don't (most of us) will pick a side not necessarily based on objective analysis, but based solely off of what their friends think, or people they admire. What Obama and the left media is doing is not rocket science, it's been tried and tested for centuries, and it ALWAYS works. Right now Obama is on board politically with the gay agenda. It makes perfect sense for him to make that call!


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #645
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    By that definition what you describe is an impossability.
    How so?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #646
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Rehat he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    The distinction between a pseudo event and a real event is more dependent on actual level of importance. One of the examples of a pseudo event is the presidential debates. Where we know nothing new is going to said and that it will be a general rehashing of campaign material. Clearly "as a nation" it will be something heavily discussed. But its over all significance is still pretty low
    Many, if not most, voters get their first real understanding of the candidates' views in the debates. Is that not of actual importance?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #647
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    My point was that a large collection of individuals might find importance in the topic.
    And my point is that the above occurring would not make it a topic of national conversation.

    Issues on national defense are important to us collectively, because they do have an impact on our lives, regardless of how we perceive them as individuals.
    Interesting choice of examples, considering that most things that are actually about national defense are kept secret and considered things that we do not need to know about.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #648
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The person that decided to put him on the cover of the magazine made it a topic of national conversation.
    OMG!!!! Why would a sports magazine put a major sports story on their cover?!?!?! WHYYYY!!!!!

    The topic of an openly gay active player in one of the four major American team sports has been discussed in great detail over the last few months. The issue was already a topic of conversation across the nation, it merely became a topic of national conversation when the discussion went from the level of speculation to the level of confirmed.

    The White House Spokesman commenting on it made it a topic of national conversation.
    Sports illustrated ran a sports story. It was a big sports story. That sports story spurred a national conversation. It went from being a simple sports story, reported on by sporting news outlets (like the media outlet that broke the sports story) to a news story almost instantly because it is a big deal.

    His coming out in and of itself did not, it is the medias and the governments reaction to it that did.
    First: the government didn't react. I see no laws about this. There have been no military actions.

    Second: Obviously his coming out WAS a big deal, regardless of YOUR OPINION of it. It's not like this was initially reported by a general news outlet. If it wasn't a big deal, it would have remained on the sports pages where it started.



    it is an invented event, if you can call it an event, and people are talking about it simply because it has been thrust in our faces from unlikely places.
    Sports illustrated is an unlikely place to report a sports story?

    Sadly, it isn't an invented event. Collins IS gay. He IS an "active" player who wishes to continue playing. That is, in and of itself, a sports story because it has never happened in one of the four big American sports before. Much like the story of Jackie Robinson was a big story. And that was only baseball. There had already been black players in the NFL, hell there had been a black coach in the NFL already.

    It was initially reported by a sporting news agency. Because it was a big deal, it got picked up by everyone.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #649
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Rehat he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Many, if not most, voters get their first real understanding of the candidates' views in the debates. Is that not of actual importance?
    Do they?

  10. #650
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    How so?
    In that it's impossible to have this talk "as a nation" in the sense you're referring to it. There's no "national" conversation going on in the sense you just stated...there's multiple localized conversations of individuals all across the nation. This isn't a team all in one locker room actively talking to each other. This isn't even a President giving a statement broadcast across the nation in real time on every major network. This is independent collumnists, news commentators, internet blogs, people at water coolers, etc having a conversation about the issue.

    Not to mention...you're moving goal posts again. A "Team Meeting" does not require it to be ABOUT an issue relating to the team team. If a coach gets all the team together and decides to ask them all to pray for some kid whose in the hospital with cancer, without referencing the team or sport, that's still him calling a "team meeting" and having a "team prayer" even though its not about a "team issue".

    Or if you want to use your example...if Bill Bellicheck called the team into a meeting, had them take a knee, and then proceeded to talk about Kim Kardashians Vag and how fine her ass is and asked for their opinions on it....that's still a TEAM MEETING because it's a MEETING with the TEAM. Even though it doesn't have one thing to do with the team at all (unless the Patriots traded for Reggie Bush ).

    A "Team Discussion" is one had with the team about ANYTHING, so long as it's a discussion with the team

    A "Team Discussion of a team issue" would be a team discussion about something directly relating to the team.

    One can have a conversation on a national level without it being a "national topic". If you wanted the TOPIC to also be of significant importance to the nation then you should've included an adjective prior to that as well. You didn't. If you meant for it to be included that's fine...then admit you messed up how you originally typed it in terms of your intent.

    Where you place adjectives does matter. You place national prior to conversation, suggesting it needed to be a conversation held at a national level.

    Now I assumed...because I figured you're not crazy...you didn't mean that in a literal sense that the ENTIRE NATION was having a discussion with itself or was being directly spoken to, ala a "team meeting". If that assumption is wrong and your previous statements in your "clarifying" posts is correct...then that's even more asinine and even more incorrect. If that assumption is correct...then you're basically agreeing with me.

    Your issue is you are now...AFTER THE FACT...trying to claim that the TOPIC must be of national importance. Nothing in your statement or your wording of the statement suggests that. Nothing. No definition of it that I've seen. You see, I actually provided definitions...all you've done is go "No you're wrong, you read it wrong".

    I'll ask again...give me something fact based or reference based to show me how your reasoning of it is correct.

Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •