Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #601
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I asked this earlier, was Rosa Parks a "significant" person before she refused to sit in the back of the bus?
    Lets slow the role on the Rosa Parks comparison. The reality is, like it or not, actions and people within the general public are going to be viewed differently by the public than someone in sports. This isn't just in terms of being gay, this is about MOST things.

    It's also telling that when there is a clear analog able to be used in sports you forgo it because that doesn't fit your argument and thus you go for a massive reach by latching onto Rosa Parks.

    I think he's more likely to be Charles Follis (fun fact, born in my little home county) than Jackie Robinson. And again, nothing wrong with that. But in terms of impact, specifically lasting, Charles doesn't hold a candle to Jackie. That doesn't mean his "first" was meaningless to those who knew of it at the time, to himself, or to his sport.

  2. #602
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not really. It's just that I doubt that some mediocre player from a dying sport is going to have any lasting impact on sports. People are jumping up and down claiming some huge impact already, but when you ask them about it they can't actually quantify the impact.

    Also, it's 2013, it's time to stop being shocked that there are gay people in the world.
    Again, the premise that this is going to have a "lasting impact" along with the assumption that it can be "quantified" within a few days.....all from someone continuing to denigrate the player and the sport......while saying we should all get over it.

    Wow, my head just spins trying to keep my score card updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #603
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wow, my head just spins trying to keep my score card updated.
    Is that why you're making Rosa Parks references?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #604
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Lets slow the role on the Rosa Parks comparison.
    It wasn't a comparison of her to him, it was an observation that trying to predict a persons effect on social change from their starting point is a bit silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #605
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Random thoughts...

    1) I never heard of him until a couple days ago. Honestly. Granted, I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I know who most of the top level elite players are. He, apparently, isn't one of them.

    2) Altering the sports landscape? Meh. I doubt it. This isn't like skin color that cannot be hidden. There have, no doubt, been gay players since the beginning of time.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #606
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You're not equating Collins to Rosa Parks, are you?
    No, I'm not, as I just explained. you missed all of the points
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #607
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is that why you're making Rosa Parks references?
    And you avoided the points once again. I guess they were right on target.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #608
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    False. I have been very consistent in pointing out that things which are not huge deals do not become "topics of national conversation". The issue here is that there seems to be a significant confusion on what is or is not a topic of national conversation. I believe that a topic of national conversation is very different than something which is known of or mentioned in passing nationwide.
    Making it larger doesn't make it any more correct Tucker.

    top·ic
    /ˈtäpik/Noun
    1.A matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject.
    na·tion·al
    /ˈnaSHənəl/Adjective
    Of or relating to a nation; common to or characteristic of a whole nation.
    con·ver·sa·tion
    /ˌkänvərˈsāSHən/Noun
    1.The informal exchange of ideas by spoken words.
    Seems to me you're saying that a subject that is common to the whole nation in terms of their exchange of ideas [stated] by spoken [or written] words.

    Sorry, but I'm seeing in those definitions suggests the level of importance those ideas need to have...or the AMOUNT of words that need to be spoken...or whether or not someone finds it "serious". I'm giving you a bit of leeway in the notion you're not suggesting that it needs to literally be the entire nation, and rather just a sizable amoutn of the population, as I can assume you don't believe everyone across the entire US has engaged in a discussion about this.

    YOU stated your definition of what determines a "huge deal", got called for it, tried to move hte goal posts, and are now trying to talk people down by using BIG LETTERS. Sorry Tuck, try that grade school method on someone else, because you've debated me enough to know it's not going to have an impact on me.

  9. #609
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Making it larger doesn't make it any more correct Tucker.
    Lets keep the conversation on topic.

    The topic is not Tucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #610
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    And you avoided the points once again. I guess they were right on target.
    No, they weren't applicable. I wasn't the one making claim of factual impact already.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •