Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #551
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    In a world where this kind of thing:

    Attachment 67146832

    Exists, the only fantasy that exists is a delusional belief that someone cannot be killed for being gay.
    While I don't agree with it, I really see no danger created by people holding signs up publicly. In fact, it would be a better world if the people who would kill someone for being gay just held up a sign and simply satisfied themselves with being offensive.

  2. #552
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Well they all have similar roles to Jason Collins. You might not have said no value, but you have said he's a nobody and a terrible player. Yet he and players like him continue to get contracts. There is a role for these people in the NBA.
    and no one has said there isn't. but guys like him are not a rare breed. that makes his chances at getting picked up at 34 a lot less likely.

    Bolded:

    1. In the world of professional sports...he is a "nobody". until this announcement relatively few people outside of his immediate circle of coaches and fans even knew who he was.

    2. look at his stats. he is a good player and better than 99% of the population but by comparison to other NBA players, he is terrible
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #553
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    You're also simplifying their role too much. It isn't just to foul people. I could foul Dwight Howard at the end of the game, but it isn't going to make him afraid to attack the basket on the next possession. Collins and others play a type of aggressive defense to make them hesitant to go up against them. It's why Collins was so successful at stopping Howard in the playoffs two years ago.
    given the number of fouls that Collins racked up during limited playing time...he wasn't very successful at making people afraid to attack the basket either
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #554
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Let's look at the facts: Things that become a topic of national conversation are, by their very nature, a huge deal. Things which are not a huge deal do NOT become a topic of national conversation.
    a bit of equivocating here: What we are talking about is very much akin to Bornstein's (sp) notions of celebrity and pseudo-event vs a person of legitimate notoriety and and an event of real importance. With the former, it's an event simply because people have been talking about it with the press covering the issue simply because people are talking about it. With the later, there is an actual issue of importance driving the interest in the person or story.

    Case in point: Spears having a mental breakdown and shaving her head has no real importance, besides what is driven by the public's reaction to it. Obama announcing US involvement in Syria carries actual merit and importance, despite people talking about it, or not

    So people simply talking about it doesn't actually lend it any more real noteworthiness than a Kim K. vag shot

  5. #555
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,164

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and no one has said there isn't. but guys like him are not a rare breed. that makes his chances at getting picked up at 34 a lot less likely.

    Bolded:

    1. In the world of professional sports...he is a "nobody". until this announcement relatively few people outside of his immediate circle of coaches and fans even knew who he was.

    2. look at his stats. he is a good player and better than 99% of the population but by comparison to other NBA players, he is terrible
    I disagree with this. His stats are not good, but he top quality defense for a center and has turned that into a longer career than the vast majority of NBA players get. There is a reason that GM's sign him and others like Mohammad and Thomas year after year, because guys like him are a rare breed.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #556
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    While I don't agree with it, I really see no danger created by people holding signs up publicly. In fact, it would be a better world if the people who would kill someone for being gay just held up a sign and simply satisfied themselves with being offensive.
    True, but in a world with that kind of virulent anti-gay sentiment, and the fact that there have been people attacked and murdered for being gay in the past, there are no assurances that holding up a sign is all that will ever be done.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #557
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,164

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    given the number of fouls that Collins racked up during limited playing time...he wasn't very successful at making people afraid to attack the basket either
    Exceedingly incorrect. That is his job, to make people who attack the basket pay. Just look at what ESPN's Hollinger said about his defense before this announcement.

    Scouting report
    + Elite low-post defender who stymies big centers with size and smarts.
    + Physical. Great at drawing offensive fouls. Awful rebounder. Ponderously slow.
    + Horrid finisher. No handle or post game. Will occasionally make a 12-footer.

    Analysis
    Collins hardly played until the Hawks dusted him off for the playoffs, where he played impressive defense and did shockingly little else. Collins averaged just 5.1 points per 40 minutes, shot 40 percent, rebounded like a guard and had nearly as many fouls as points.

    That's a D-League résumé, and not a particularly good one. But one skill offset all those negatives: Synergy rated Collins as the best defender on the Hawks and one of the best in the league. He doesn't look like he's doing much, but he's big, knows exactly where to be and excels at taking charges.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  8. #558
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So I guess they'll have to paint pink lillies on the court.
    No no, ponies are the new gay thing.

  9. #559
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    a bit of equivocating here: What we are talking about is very much akin to Bornstein's (sp) notions of celebrity and pseudo-event vs a person of legitimate notoriety and and an event of real importance. With the former, it's an event simply because people have been talking about it with the press covering the issue simply because people are talking about it. With the later, there is an actual issue of importance driving the interest in the person or story.

    Case in point: Spears having a mental breakdown and shaving her head has no real importance, besides what is driven by the public's reaction to it. Obama announcing US involvement in Syria carries actual merit and importance, despite people talking about it, or not

    So people simply talking about it doesn't actually lend it any more real noteworthiness than a Kim K. vag shot
    Pseudo-events are not the "topic of national conversation", they are entertaining tidbits that get a laugh around the watercooler. This is not a psuedo-event.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #560
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Exceedingly incorrect. That is his job, to make people who attack the basket pay. Just look at what ESPN's Hollinger said about his defense before this announcement.
    so wait. is it his job to make them pay when they come to the basket or make them afraid to come to the basket? if it's the former, you have a point. if it's the later, you don't

    Scouting report

    Awful rebounder. Ponderously slow.
    Horrid finisher. No handle or post game. Will occasionally make a 12-footer.

    Analysis
    Collins hardly played until the Hawks dusted him off for the playoffs, where he played impressive defense and did shockingly little else. Collins averaged just 5.1 points per 40 minutes, shot 40 percent, rebounded like a guard and had nearly as many fouls as points.

    That's a D-League résumé, and not a particularly good one.
    If you were a team looking to pick-up a back-up center...is this the kind of scouting report that would impress you enough to offer a 34 y/o a contract?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •