Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #481
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yep i believe i supplied you with a definition before when you lost

    acceptance?
    define acceptance and PLEASE tell me how i talked about it? did i say some where that there will be a majoirty accptance of homosexuality in the NBA? LMAO

    there you go again making up another straw man

    please stay on topic because your deflections and strawmen are getting more sad with everyone you post.

    the facts being discussed is there was an impact. Let me know when you have somethign that proves that wrong.
    Well what is the impact? Please tell us what it is? You say so many have come out in support of Collins, which I assume means that they accept his gayness and value his courage, or something to that affect; we all assume this is what you mean by impact, and that it is generally positive? Your attempts to avoid this question with such rigidity and obfuscation is telling. What is this something that has been impacted? You haven't so much as provided anything in the way of substance, in fact your entire premise is devoid of substance rendering it almost completely useless.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #482
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    like i said write them a letter.
    maybe they will admit they are lying and just making it up and youll have evidence of your assumptions
    i didnt claim facts they just simply are.
    You claimed facts all the time "factually"...remember that? You used it a lot. There is a factual impact; meaning measured. All I ask for is the true measurement. I don't need to write a letter, as I am not the one making assumption. Merely stating that what you are deriving from words is not the only explanation for the words stated. And since there are multiple possible causes for the statement, from true support to attempting to avoid a PR nightmare, you cannot claim factual information from it without supporting evidence. And that's what you lack here. So every time you say "factual" and "LMAO the owners say X", you are making an assumption. You are claiming knowledge from a system that has not been examined enough to draw actual knowledge from. You assume the owners and players are saying what they are saying based on true acceptance and support of Collins. But it may not be. It could very well be cherry picking of player's comments (i.e. not publishing any dissenting opinion) and coaches and owners playing the PC game. Also a valid explanation. Without further evidence and measurement, you cannot say which one is actually true ("factual").

    You may state that in your opinion the owners and coaches are being sincere and that already more players are accepting of homosexuals on the court, and that would be in line with statements from players, coaches, and owners. But you cannot at this point profess knowledge. It is NOT factual at this point until there is more evidence.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #483
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    I didn't read the 49 pages but here is my opinion.

    I couldn't care less if the guy says he is gay. It doesn't change anything. If there was somebody on this earth, well at least in the US, that thought there were not gay people in profesional sports, then I feel very sorry for that person.

    I think it is more than pathetic for the White House press secretary to make a comment on it like it has anything to do at all with national politics or that it is anything relevant.

    It is too bad the White House doesn't spend as much time with important issues as they do with crap theat means nothing.

  4. #484
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    It was more shocking when Magic Johnson said he had AIDS and that didn't change the landscape of profesional sports.

  5. #485
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I don't know about a rush of gay pro athletes coming out, but yeah, there has to be at least a handful in each pro sports league. Every job I've ever worked I've had at least one or two gay coworkers, and those places didn't have near as many employees as pro sports leagues do athletes. So just by the law of averages, if you have sports leagues that have at least 600 to 700+ all male athletes in each league, guaranteed there's at least a handful of gay men in each league.

    I never heard of Jason Collins before this, but good for him!
    You are exactly right which is why this is a no news event.

    Maybe this was the reason he all of sudden came out. It is easier to get endorsement deals when people know your name.

  6. #486
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    No, christian side hugs don't spread cooties. jesus did them so they are OK, and are a great way to keep cootie free with your gay friends or other people who you may be trying to deny your sexual attraction to.
    I know this is a different subject, but how could you posible know how Jesús hugged somebody?

    There were no poloroid cameras around back then.

  7. #487
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    It was more shocking when Magic Johnson said he had AIDS and that didn't change the landscape of profesional sports.
    Well he didn't ask for drapes on the locker room windows either. Just wait.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #488
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    and where was the support by Bill Clinton, sports in general when Robbie Rogers came out? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/sp...anted=all&_r=0
    I will give Clinton a pass on this one because the guy was a friend of his daughter. I don't think anybody really cares what Clinton has to say on the subject anyway.

  9. #489
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Colly, altering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    opinion noted and not shared. I consider such people to be those who had " hall of fame" or a Pro bowl or All star career. productive means what it says
    Are all NASCAR drivers productive even if they never won a race? Afterall very few people actually get to be NASCAR drivers.

    This logic can be applied to anything where very few people get to do it but it in no way reflect on that persons productivity in that position.

  10. #490
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    i agree there always will be just like some people still are racist and are still misogynist.
    in general i think the majority are comfortable with it at a level like this.

    overall things have DEFINITELY changed for the better since i was a kid on this issue too.

    As much as media/internet/technology has taken part in arguably bad things it is responsible for education. There may be tons of misinformation in the world but there is also a ton of facts out there two and now its easier to learn the truth and the people that are in the middle are learning more and more everyday and the people that dont want to learn simply wont.

    It be awesome if he finds a homes and a team needs his current skill set and many more pro-athletes follow.
    Can I still hater redheads or is that not allowed anymore?

Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •