Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #451
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You're making a strawman argument regarding men feeling like they're the targets of gay men. That's simply not true. It's the sexual genetic deviance itself that is the gorilla in the room - or locker room in this instance - not a perceived "threat". Homosexuality is not normal, as much as you desperately want it to be. It's a mutation for some, a choice for others, but it's not normal. THAT is what weirds sexually normal people out, some more than others.

    I know and like a few gay people. But that doesn't mean I recognize or accept their lifestyle as everyday ho-hum normal.

    Regarding your obsession with this idiotic educational/financial concoction of a "study", think about how utterly preposterous it is to (1) believe an accurate "study" is even possible of something like this, and (2) that a sexual mutation like this can translate into higher education and financial responsibility. LOL

    That's a PRIME example of engineering a study to exactly what you want it to reflect, then feeding it to the needy who desperately want it to be true. Today's "scientific studies" are most often predetermined opinions added to manipulated data.

    How you use your anus doesn't mean you understand quantum physics and the stock market better. LOL
    Ah, so you're degraded into the same old tired nonsense when your egotistical frame of thinking is exposed. The best part is that you think correlation between homosexuality, higher education and income can't be measured. When it absolutely can. The best part is that you're still trying to claim I said homosexuality = higher education, social status. Your lack of understanding now spans 4 pages.

    Homosexuality isn't normal, studies are wrong, you could AT LEAST pretend you didn't get your borderline asinine ego handed back to you with the kind of logical framework that debunks any claims that you have something a gay would want to begin with.

    Here, I've got a clue for you:

    1. Nobody is trying to get in your pants.
    2. Even if you were naked in a locker room, being in the closet/out gay man staring at you fantasy/fetish/nightmare isn't going to happen.
    3. If you still believe it will, you probably have some insecurity issues to deal with. They come hand in hand with believing that any woman who talks to you at a bar is trying to sleep with you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #452
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Notice where I'm saying it's hard to say without knowing the enormous complexity going on mentally in his situation? And how I used words like "seemed" to suggest that what I was saying was my guess based off his words? Yes, I made an assumption...and PRESENTED it and stated it in a way that made it clear it was an assumption.

    Now go back to your post where you state your assumption as if it's a fact. That's the issue. You want to make an assumption and a guess as to why he did it and provide evidence to back it up? Sure, go ahead. I may disagree with you as may others, but that's what we're all doing here...speculating. But if you ignorantly want to proclaim your assumption as some kind of actual truth and then muse how "odd" it is that people aren't reacting the same way to you, as if your view of it is somehow the unquestioned truth, then yeah...I'll call bull****.

    But thanks for the sad attempt to equate what I posted to what you posted...it was good for a laugh.
    And just where have I presented ANYTHING in this thread as fact? My reaction to this turd burglar's coming out was minor. In fact I said who cares, however, my reaction to the way he treated this poor woman was legitimate, based mostly on the available information, and appropriate. The fact that you seem to give him a pass is your right, I on the other hand am not so lenient. I wouldn't normally care one iota but the media propping this guy up as some virtue of honor and courage is what gets the hair on my neck to stand up; when in reality he "appears" to be a self serving attention whore, who would rather proclaim his intentions to the media rather than make sure that the girl he brought along for his complex sexual discovery ride for 7 years knew in advance.

    What kind of noble honorable guy would do that? Answer, NO ONE would, so keep on keeping on brother. My disdain for Collins has nothing to do with his sexuality, it is and always is about his character. He lacks one, by all available instances!

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #453
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So what? Does that mean I have to be accepting of that? That's exactly the point I'm making, is that the news leaves out a lot of actual news.

    of course not! thats not what i meant at all i was just asking why you expected different since the news has been ****ty for awhile

    I agree with you 100% news SHOULD be about actually objective honest news but sadly that hasnt been going on for along time. Its pathetic but thats what i expect from them especially MSNBC and FOX the worse of the worst but i would LIKE and I WANT different
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #454
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well...."alter the landscape of [the big four men's] sport."

    I can't lie, I chuckled seeing someone say Britney Griner is still the most talented gay basketball player. It was a good twitter zing.
    I don't know, Nancy Lieberman was pretty good. She was also married to a man for 13 years....so there's that tie-in as well for those of you in a tizzy about Collins' old lady.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #455
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    1.)So there was an impact?
    2.)A few vocal in support of Collins coming out,
    3.(but what of the 100's perhaps 1000's that laughed and scoffed with friends privately?
    4.) What about the few brave enough to vocalize that Collins coming out will have deleterious effects in locker rooms, hazing, teasing etc.. So my question is a legitimate one.
    5.) Was the impact generally positive or negative, and how do you know?
    6.) Additionally, you say there was change? What changed? Can you articulate any of what your saying to any degree of credibility using logic and sound reasoning?


    Tim-
    1.)yep and thats all that needs said
    2.) and it was more than a FEW LMAO, it was many and important figures IN THE NBA family (ex and current players coaches, owners and THE PRESIDENT OF THE LEAGUE lol)
    3.) there could be MILLIONS of non-nba people that disagree, they arent in the landscape nor do their opinions matter to that landscape
    4.) again those few dont change that there was an impact and thats not new, there were people that were just suspected og being gay that went through it. And now if that happens they look even more stupid, retard, mornoic and bigoted when theres so much support out there for this guy if they actually do that idiotic stuff. SO legitimate question or not, the impact is still present, it has ZERO barring on its presence.
    5.) Generally? I can only go by the people that are in that league and they say yes
    6.) again read the thread, i already spent pages going over it, not doing it again and the people in the leagues agree
    7.) see number 6, already done and the people in the league ego the same things

    like i said, impact to the NBA is factual, nobody honest and intelligent would deny that. How much or how little is debatable. The impact to the NBA from the evidence we have seems mostly positive, theres no other evidence to suggest otherwise.

    SO nothing as changed, an impact is factual nothing will change this fact.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #456
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.)yep and thats all that needs said
    2.) and it was more than a FEW LMAO, it was many and important figures IN THE NBA family (ex and current players coaches, owners and THE PRESIDENT OF THE LEAGUE lol)
    3.) there could be MILLIONS of non-nba people that disagree, they arent in the landscape nor do their opinions matter to that landscape
    4.) again those few dont change that there was an impact and thats not new, there were people that were just suspected og being gay that went through it. And now if that happens they look even more stupid, retard, mornoic and bigoted when theres so much support out there for this guy if they actually do that idiotic stuff. SO legitimate question or not, the impact is still present, it has ZERO barring on its presence.
    5.) Generally? I can only go by the people that are in that league and they say yes
    6.) again read the thread, i already spent pages going over it, not doing it again and the people in the leagues agree
    7.) see number 6, already done and the people in the league ego the same things

    like i said, impact to the NBA is factual, nobody honest and intelligent would deny that. How much or how little is debatable. The impact to the NBA from the evidence we have seems mostly positive, theres no other evidence to suggest otherwise.

    SO nothing as changed, an impact is factual nothing will change this fact.

    You do realize that the NBA is the blackest of the four American sports, right? Now, although not conclusive evidence, it does correlate well that the general population is about 50/50 on gay related civil issues, however in the black and Hispanic communities, the numbers are much lower in support. The polls are varied but as much as 70% of blacks are opposed to homosexuality, and it would carry over to the NBA in similar fashion I would imagine. So, again, you FAIL miserably when challenged to provide data for your conclusions. I at least approach the topic with measurable data that can at least be debated, whereas you provide nothing but.. Well nothing at all really.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #457
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Do you people realize that basketball is not a sexual contact sport? Everyone is making a huge deal out of this. Quite possibly the worst center in the NBA is making a last ditch effort to become relevant and maybe extend his career by using his sexual preference to draw in some fans. Who these people are ****ing is not relevant to the game of basketball. Does this guy being gay make him a good basketball player? Does it change his career? No. It doesn't. But now this guy who none of you have ever given two ****s about is suddenly hero. Being gay is not heroic. Sex is not a heroic act by any means at all. But suddenly this guy is plastered all over every sports network, and millions of people who know nothing about this guy other than the fact that he enjoys sex with men, are now in love and he is so brave. Exploiting idiots to try to further a career and hopefully make a bunch of money off of sex is not heroic. Not by a long a shot. Be smarter than this. The guy is going to get shat loads of money on tv and book circuits and who knows what else because he has sex with men. He didn't come out in public because it was the right thing to do, he came out to exploit a bunch of idiots for money.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #458
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    1. A terrible player doesn't stay in the NBA for over a decade. He's not a superstar, but he's been a solid role player filling a role most teams like to have...big man depth.
    compared to you and me he's not a terrible player. compared to the average guy in the NBA, he is a terrible player. He's spent his career being a bit-player bouncing from team to team (7 teams in 12 years). His most notable achievment is that he lead the league in personal fouls in 2004 with 322. In fact, he has 2026 (that's about 169 per season) personal fouls in 12 years, despite not being a major player in terms of minutes played.


    Also, I get your attempt at a joke at the end but it's highlighting the problem in your argument here. The fact this IS making headlines and is getting talked about and has been getting such attention means it's at least somewhat note worthy within the public consiousness. I don't think it will have a lasting impact or a sizable mark in history due to him being quasi-active at this point, on the very tail end of his career at best, and not a "sexy" name or even a well known one. But that doesn't mean the immediete impact and scope isn't at least buzz generating and of some note.
    my point is not "IS" it making headlines, but rather "should" it be making headlines. sure, it has created some buzz. but, as you've said, it is very doubtful that he will be "the guy" remembered in the same context as a Jackie Robinson.

    A no-name player at the tail end of his career coming out is not going to have the same impact as a big-name guy doing the same or a young no-name doing it at the beginning/middle of a career.


    As I've said, this was a very "low-risk" move on his part, professionally and I just don't think it deserves all the hype/hoopla it has generated.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #459
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    like i said, impact to the NBA is factual, nobody honest and intelligent would deny that.
    If it's factual, you can prove it. Hearsay doesn't count for proof, even though you like to use it a lot (Oh so and so said this, and that dude said that...).

    Selectively published quotes is not scientific study. You seem to confuse that too. The TRUE statement, that any honest and intelligent person would say would be that "right now there's a lot of speculation, there's a lot of talk. There is potential for some good to come out of it, it can have a positive impact on the perception of gay athletes; but as to that we'll have to wait and see. "

    And that is the most correct, honest statement backed by current measurements one can make. Not "factual" impact, but possible impact.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #460
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    You do realize that the NBA is the blackest of the four American sports, right? Now, although not conclusive evidence, it does correlate well that the general population is about 50/50 on gay related civil issues, however in the black and Hispanic communities, the numbers are much lower in support. The polls are varied but as much as 70% of blacks are opposed to homosexuality, and it would carry over to the NBA in similar fashion I would imagine. So, again, you FAIL miserably when challenged to provide data for your conclusions. I at least approach the topic with measurable data that can at least be debated, whereas you provide nothing but.. Well nothing at all really.

    Tim-
    current data doesnt not support that, the most recent shows the majority (51-54% cant remember) of blacks support SSM and then even more at the younger age bracket of the NBA
    so theres no failure at all, that was actually in a thread here titled "gay president" go check it out

    oh yeah and this strawman also does NOTHING to the fact that there was an impact says the people of the NBA So yes i agree you presented, well, nothing at all really
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •