Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #411
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    This is clearly at the predictions stage, but you don't need to **** on the moment either. How could there possibly be such evidence a day later? All we have now are tweets and jersey sales. Now if he had done this mid-season it would have been a bigger deal and we'd have more answers by now, but that's just how it goes. If the NBA was not more homophobic 5 10 15 years ago, then someone would have come out back then, or do you have another explanation? The fact he did this (possibly) before his career ended DOES speak towards how attitudes have greatly changed.
    I'm not "****ting" on the moment. I'm merely saying one cannot claim something to be factual without the ability to demonstrate that thing as fact. There has been a general trend, and I had said that over and over again. I think he's following it, but not blazing it. I'm happy that he can come out, I think that America has been ready to accept a gay athlete for some time now. But I don't think anything he did was that great, he just followed the trends. Gay or straight, all that matters is the W. Hell you can get away with rape if you collect enough W's.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #412
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallenangel View Post
    ^
    THIS.


    Cheers,
    Fallen.
    Thanks! I was wondering if anyone was going to agree with me!

  3. #413
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    First, he said he's black and gay which kind of gives you a hint on how intelligent this guy is.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  4. #414
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Why would people do that in this context? Look at who is doing it and the answer becomes clear.
    I did it to suggest that there was/is a legitimate shot he doesn't play in the league next year even prior to coming out, and as such:

    1) I don't think this will have as great of an impact as people think because I don't think he's much of an "active" player. He's not under contract, he's not playing right now, and there's no guarantee he plays next year

    2) That I was not looking forward to the potential accusations of "He's black balled because he came out" if he doesn't get picked up by a team since there is an entirely reasonable argument and likelihood that he'd not get picked back up.

    I'm not critical of his stats or his role. The big man bench player is a time honored tradition in the league. He is what he is as a basketball player, not because he's gay but because of his athletic skills and role in the league.

    I don't criticze him for coming out. I don't criticize him for his career (the man lasted in the league 14 years, you can't criticize that regardless of stats). However, I'm also not naive enough to think that the impact will be lessened and likely short lived due to his current quasi-active status and being a relatively unknown roleplayer. At some point, a player in the prime of his career and/or with a little name recognition will come out and in 30 or 40 years I think that'll be the person looked back upon with Jackie Robinson type of notions because the American public are rather shallow like that.

  5. #415
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I did it to suggest that there was/is a legitimate shot he doesn't play in the league next year even prior to coming out, and as such:

    1) I don't think this will have as great of an impact as people think because I don't think he's much of an "active" player. He's not under contract, he's not playing right now, and there's no guarantee he plays next year

    2) That I was not looking forward to the potential accusations of "He's black balled because he came out" if he doesn't get picked up by a team since there is an entirely reasonable argument and likelihood that he'd not get picked back up.

    I'm not critical of his stats or his role. The big man bench player is a time honored tradition in the league. He is what he is as a basketball player, not because he's gay but because of his athletic skills and role in the league.

    I don't criticze him for coming out. I don't criticize him for his career (the man lasted in the league 14 years, you can't criticize that regardless of stats). However, I'm also not naive enough to think that the impact will be lessened and likely short lived due to his current quasi-active status and being a relatively unknown roleplayer. At some point, a player in the prime of his career and/or with a little name recognition will come out and in 30 or 40 years I think that'll be the person looked back upon with Jackie Robinson type of notions because the American public are rather shallow like that.
    best post of the thread thus far!!!!!
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #416
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    First, he said he's black and gay which kind of gives you a hint on how intelligent this guy is.
    An intelligent person would realize neither is any indication of his actual intelligence.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #417
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    1.)This is nothing more than hypersensitive BS and ignorant attack.

    As I said, I'm sure that those in support would come out publically to support. But it's not like it's a scientific study of ideas and accetance level. It's publicized announcement. It's fine; but you're not proving your point by saying some dudes in the NBA say it's great and it's brave and it's breaking ground. You would naturally expect any strong supporter of an idea or individual to come up and praise said idea or individual. But it's not showing that the NBA is not accepting of gays when before this announcement they were not. There's just nothing there to support that claim. Numbers aren't a deflect, numbers are the proof of system dynamic. And if you can't prove it, then you have nothing but ignorant argument built upon supposition and assumption, perchance even delusional.
    1.) LMAO if YOU say so but i still have facts and you are the only one that tried failed insults through out you whole rant and tantrum. I told you deflecting simply will not work.

    I prove you wrong twice and some how im attacking LOL i proved you lied and some how im attacking thats classic! lol

    2.) "scientific study" now? LMAO just stop wow talk about strawman, guess ill have to wait till MIT finishes up the study i know they rushed to conduct about this and ignore all the verbal evidence for all the personal involved. Just stop, you were wrong, no big deal, man up and deal with it.

    yes the words of current and ex players, owners, coaches and the president of the league in which we are discussing who disagree with you is only my assumption and delusion

    you stick with that, let me know how it works out for you. Start writing the letter to them and let them know they are wrong and liars!!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #418
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is nothing more than hypersensitive BS and ignorant attack.

    As I said, I'm sure that those in support would come out publically to support. But it's not like it's a scientific study of ideas and accetance level. It's publicized announcement. It's fine; but you're not proving your point by saying some dudes in the NBA say it's great and it's brave and it's breaking ground. You would naturally expect any strong supporter of an idea or individual to come up and praise said idea or individual. But it's not showing that the NBA is not accepting of gays when before this announcement they were not. There's just nothing there to support that claim. Numbers aren't a deflect, numbers are the proof of system dynamic. And if you can't prove it, then you have nothing but ignorant argument built upon supposition and assumption, perchance even delusional.

    Dude, drop this clown. He got me to for a few posts answering his insanity until I realized he was unarmed. He must be very young, or something, because he argues like my 11 year old. Trust me, anyone reading your exchange knows who won.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #419
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    Neither of you are going to win your argument, because you're having a subjective debate about two entirely different aspects of the NBA, and basketball as a sport.

    In terms of the sport of basketball, Collins' revelation doesn't change the rules of the game, doesn't change the skill level of any player, and has no bearing whatsoever on how the game is played, or will be played in the future.

    At the same time, Magic Johnson didn't change the game when it was revealed that he had HIV either, in that sense. At the same time, it was a significant event in the sport, and raised awareness about HIV significantly.

    I would argue more that the sport affected society as a result of the revelation, than the revelation changed the sport. Arguing that basketball its self was changed doesn't bear much merit objectively speaking, but arguing that nothing changed at all isn't really rational either.
    thats just it there is no argument because what i said is true

    now along the way the many goal posts he tried to move to are in fact different but i dont care and its simply why i stuck to my original point the whole time.

    The NBA landscape has infact been impacted. Thats it nothing else.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #420
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, I do expect to see NEWS when I watch the news. I expect that the top stories would be the MOST important stories that affect ALL of us.
    Why? that hasnt been going on for like 20 years sadly.
    the tops stories are going to be what they think gets ratings
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •