Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #231
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.)well you are free to feel that way many disagree.
    2.) I agree its not EQUAL on all levels to JR nor is he the talent JR was.
    3.) as proven by media, this thread, his teammate lots of people. This would also be proven by the many interviews, articles, books, interviews and documentaries about form players talking about how they never had the courage to come out because of the amount of fear they had for thier jobs and the amount of bigotry they encountered in their opinions.
    4.) dont think he wants a cookie lol
    5.) you HOPE thats all it is and since he is the first thats exactly where the impact will be
    6.) really? history proves that not consistent and remind me how many players, owners and even teammates shunned magic for AIDs and RUMORS of him being gay. This is simply not always the case but in 2013 its more likely.
    7.) which would change the landscape since professional sports definitely has a stereotypical gay is ick factor to it. Again you have already mentioned ways the landscape will be changed.
    8.) attributable? no, but could he be the first to prove it and change the landscape and allow others to come out even before the play in the NBA, yes its "possible"
    9.) see above we already have 3 answers identified,2 indirectly by you
    10.) IMO of course but i personally am still excited anytime equality comes to the surface.
    11.) you are free to this opinion but many disagree

    personally i think its awesome, but hey thats just me, i wish it would create a domino effect and cause every gay person in pro sports to come out, of course it wont but it be awesome if it did.
    Equality? Please. It's a sport, not society. Is gay marriage all of a sudden going to become legal because of this? No. Will anything of any real impact change because of this? No. Nothing will really change, locker room will still be the locker room, individuals will still either accept or shun or ignore as they were going to do previously. Owners and coaches will still take the top talent regardless of sexual preference. It's a null factor, it really is. I wouldn't be so excited about a null factor.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #232
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Non sequitur, you are trying to diminish his past and current effort.
    past effort: 3.6 points per game/ 3.8 rebounds per game = journeyman NBA center. good enough to barely stay in the league but not good enough to earn a home with any team

    current effort: 1.1 points per game/ 1.6 rebounds per game

    again...what's there to diminish?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Everyone keeps making this argument, and I keep asking how is that relevant? He already admitted to being a role player, but i makes no difference since the point is he has come out.
    No, you're specifically arguing we are wrong about him being a crappy player and have used meaningless Wikipedia quotes to bolster your argument.

    He was a crappy player. It doesn't make him a bad guy but saying otherwise is just wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Has he been re-signed? Who cares? This is just another cynical claim that he did for the money.
    I don't think Collins did it for the money but the talk on both CNN and ESPN since he came out has been how badly it will hurt his career.

    His play hurt his career; not his sexuality. If he is re-signed it will be because a team wants to kick the tires on his PR value.

  4. #234
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by keymanjim View Post
    I'm afraid that you don't know what this is really about.
    Oh really!
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  5. #235
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You're kidding right? Are you seriously saying the majority of conservatives do NOT believe the act of homosexulaty is a sin? I'll answer your others when you answer this question, because if you are seriously claiming that, then you are just being obtuse.

    I

    you made the claim...the onus is on you to prove it. you can start by defining what you mean by "vast majority"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You're kidding right? Are you seriously saying the majority of conservatives do NOT believe the act of homosexulaty is a sin? I'll answer your others when you answer this question, because if you are seriously claiming that, then you are just being obtuse.

    I
    I would imagine the overwhelming majority of conservatives do not consider homosexuality a sin but that isn't the point, is it?

    You claimed they complain about it while masturbating to gay porn and Oscar wants to know where you get your info from.

    It seems pretty straight forward to me.

  7. #237
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Well he couldn't be hiding too much. How is he supposed to get laid, otherwise..??

    Someone's gotta know, right?


    Tim-

    By the way is that what they call it? Getting laid? Not sure to be honest?
    I don't know and I really don't care what "they" as you put it call it. I'm just really glad for the guy. He has a ton of support for being honest.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  8. #238
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    His play hurt his career; not his sexuality.
    yeah, his lousy 1.1 points per game this season hurt his career much more than being gay

    If he is re-signed it will be because a team wants to kick the tires on his PR value.
    give his current performance, he has much more value as a PR stunt than he does as a player
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #239
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    He has a ton of support for being honest.
    how "honest" was he with his fiance of 7 years?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    I don't know and I really don't care what "they" as you put it call it. I'm just really glad for the guy. He has a ton of support for being honest.
    With whom? Honest with a adoring gay media, or honest with Moos who he dated, banged, and was intimate with for 7 years only to dump her like a brick when he felt the coast was clear for him to come out. He's a loser, plain and simple.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •