Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 699

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sports

  1. #141
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    There's always gonna be haters, but I like to think the majority of the country is cool with it. You know, being a millennial it's crazy how different societies overall view on LGBT people has changed so much just in my short lifetime. It was totally different when I was younger. I think the rest of the sports community will follow eventually.
    i agree there always will be just like some people still are racist and are still misogynist.
    in general i think the majority are comfortable with it at a level like this.

    overall things have DEFINITELY changed for the better since i was a kid on this issue too.

    As much as media/internet/technology has taken part in arguably bad things it is responsible for education. There may be tons of misinformation in the world but there is also a ton of facts out there two and now its easier to learn the truth and the people that are in the middle are learning more and more everyday and the people that dont want to learn simply wont.

    It be awesome if he finds a homes and a team needs his current skill set and many more pro-athletes follow.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #142
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,691
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    He's the first pro in a major league to come out. In today's world, that is a big deal, but I am fairly certain that it will get old in the next few years.

    A couple of years ago, a professional rugby player from New Zeland came out, and it proved to be quite tumultuous. That is why professionals are still shy about it. Mark Tewsbury, a Canadian Olympic gold medalist and current public speaker/advocate for gay rights, is aware of some current professional hockey players who are closeted. One wanted to come out a few years back... the press conference was all set-up but he back down at the last minute. I think with the door now open, we'll see a lot more courage.
    That's what gets to me. In this day and age, it shouldn't take courage to live openly as the person one actually is. However, as some of the hateful and contemptuous posts in this very thread prove, it does take courage. A great deal of courage.

    Some posters in here should be ashamed of their bigotry. If they used the word "queer" in a post, everyone else should be ashamed for them.

  3. #143
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I highly doubt this will be an easy thing to fight. Most dudes don't want to know there is a gay dude that they are in a changing room with. Sure, by the numbers there should be, but men do not want to know about it. People are free to blast me for that if they want, but I'm just here reporting the facts.
    I don't disagree with you. It will be challenging, no doubt about it. But the more athletes that come out, the less stigma that will be attached. Not sure how long it will take, but eventually, most will be accepting... it's just a matter of time.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  4. #144
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    That's what gets to me. In this day and age, it shouldn't take courage to live openly as the person one actually is. However, as some of the hateful and contemptuous posts in this very thread prove, it does take courage. A great deal of courage.

    Some posters in here should be ashamed of their bigotry. If they used the word "queer" in a post, everyone else should be ashamed for them.
    You should be ashamed for thinking anyone should be as sheeple enough to be ashamed for someone else's behavior. If he'd actually been in the prime years of his career, though the words "prime" and "career" should never again be uttered regarding this bench warmer, I'd agree it would be very courageous. This? This pathetic opportunism. Nothing more. And both on the part of him and the gay propagandists in the media.

  5. #145
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Jason Coll altering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    You should be ashamed for thinking anyone should be as sheeple enough to be ashamed for someone else's behavior. If he'd actually been in the prime years of his career, though the words "prime" and "career" should never again be uttered regarding this bench warmer, I'd agree it would be very courageous. This? This pathetic opportunism. Nothing more. And both on the part of him and the gay propagandists in the media.
    I would also add "coming out" is a bit redundent after that x-mas pic

  6. #146
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Jason Coll altering the landscape of sports

    Problem is, this guy sucks. No pun iintended.

    Wake me when a player of significance comes out, not a nobody looking for an easy gig on the Logo network.

    Attention whores are a dime a dozen.

  7. #147
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Jason Coll altering the landscape of sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Problem is, this guy sucks. No pun iintended.

    Wake me when a player of significance comes out, not a nobody looking for an easy gig on the Logo network.

    Attention whores are a dime a dozen.
    And there's a million bucks worth of them on the internet.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I don't disagree with you. It will be challenging, no doubt about it. But the more athletes that come out, the less stigma that will be attached. Not sure how long it will take, but eventually, most will be accepting... it's just a matter of time.
    This is matter of comfort about changing around gay men, not really a matter of acceptance of being gay.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    The biggest myth perpetuated by homophobes is that gay men have any interest in looking at straight dicks in a changing room. It's the same kind of egotistical thinking that allows hormonally weak men to pretend that women want to see them naked in nonsexual circumstances.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Jason Collins (NBA Center) announces that he is gay, altering the landscape of sp

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The biggest myth perpetuated by homophobes is that gay men have any interest in looking at straight dicks in a changing room. It's the same kind of egotistical thinking that allows hormonally weak men to pretend that women want to see them naked in nonsexual circumstances.
    As I said earlier, I'm simply reporting on the problem. Not that I believe your comment for a second.

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •