Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

  1. #41
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't think one can overlook or minimize the "Opium" money. When we invaded Afghanistan the country was producing 290 tons of opium annually and now that we have been in charge for ten years Afghanistan is producing aboout 9000 tons of opium annually. That's an industry that we have obviously encouraged to thrive in Afghanistan. Perhaps we are not such a desirable overseer as our overlords like to imply. Corrupt and crooked at every level and we breed the same virtues or lack thereof into our surrogates, becausse it's good for somebody's business. Perhaps it's because the CIA works for USA "Corporations" overseas. Don't you think. I would not bless any activities we are engaging in overseas with those platitudes that we are spreading liberty, freedom and democracy until we 'fess up to torture, rendition, Guantanamo, and all the seedy truth underneath. We are simply not the good guys among a bunch of bad guys. We are just another bad guy.
    Not quite accurate Dave. In April 2001 Colin Powell hand-delivered a US government check for 40 some odd million dollars to the Taliban. Big photo op. The reward was for the astounding success the Taliban had in virtually eliminating all poppy production in the country, by way of strict enforcement of Sharia Law.

    Some of the more cynical amongst us theorize that one of the reasons for invading Afghanistan was so that the Agency could get production back up to what it had once been, and thereby reap the enormous profits.

    So by the time we actually invaded, the country's production of poppies was almost nonexistent.

  2. #42
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    After over a decade, it amazes me that two administrations were unable to see what the average Joe on the street knew within the first year of the war... that Karzai was a corrupt, unqualified narcissist with zero leadership/administrative skills and an insatiable appetite for both power and money. What a massive cluster**** Afghanistan has been, initially implemented in haste without a clear goal or exit strategy, which has left the country in more disarray, with more power in Taliban hands now than when we first arrived..
    Wouldnt they have picked up on that while giving him the money?

  3. #43
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    So you can't have a problem with both?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why do we have to choose? I'll continue to bitch about both thank you.

    My point was lost on you both. It's not that both situations are not wrong, it's just people here go nuts over the most insignificant things while mostly ignoring bigger, more important things.

    Want an example?

    Take this thread I started a few years back. Over $6.6 billion dollars of hard-earned American taxpayer dollars were most likely stolen in 2003-04, yet it only garnered 25 replies, and some even went as far as to chime in and say they didn't give a rat's behind.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...itors-say.html


    Now here are a few threads of food stamp misuse:

    Soda-buying with food stamps, Replies: 783
    Getting Fat on Food Stamps, Replies: 376
    Food stamps are crazy..., Replies: 474

    See what I am saying? There are much bigger fish to fry, yet nothing gets this forum into a bigger frenzy than a food stamp recipient buying soda pop.
    I don't get it.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    My point was lost on you both. It's not that both situations are not wrong, it's just people here go nuts over the most insignificant things while mostly ignoring bigger, more important things.

    Want an example?

    Take this thread I started a few years back. Over $6.6 billion dollars of hard-earned American taxpayer dollars were most likely stolen in 2003-04, yet it only garnered 25 replies, and some even went as far as to chime in and say they didn't give a rat's behind.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...itors-say.html


    Now here are a few threads of food stamp misuse:

    Soda-buying with food stamps, Replies: 783
    Getting Fat on Food Stamps, Replies: 376
    Food stamps are crazy..., Replies: 474

    See what I am saying? There are much bigger fish to fry, yet nothing gets this forum into a bigger frenzy than a food stamp recipient buying soda pop.
    I don't get it.
    I think it's totally normal for people to be more concerned with domestic policy, don't you? I mean, most people are more familiar with what is happening in their own back yards, so I don't know what you're complaining about really.

  5. #45
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think it's totally normal for people to be more concerned with domestic policy, don't you? I mean, most people are more familiar with what is happening in their own back yards, so I don't know what you're complaining about really.
    You're so right. No one gives a **** about Iran, Iraq, Israel or any other foreign country. It's all about welfare bums drinking ****ing soda on tax payer's dime, gosh darned it.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You're so right. No one gives a **** about Iran, Iraq, Israel or any other foreign country. It's all about welfare bums drinking ****ing soda on tax payer's dime, gosh darned it.
    Did I say that? Why don't you chill out a bit. Let me restate that for you. It's natural for people to be MORE concerned with domestic policy and what is going in their own back yards.

  7. #47
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, there isn't too much they can do over there to make money apparently, so it's either opium or being paid by terrorist groups to aid them. Pick your poison.
    I see. So you agree that the USA is in the drug business in Afghanistan and it is our policy. That'd be yours and mine, among others. Howcum I didn't get a vote on that and why aren't the politicians braffin' it up?

  8. #48
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, there isn't too much they can do over there to make money apparently, so it's either opium or being paid by terrorist groups to aid them. Pick your poison.
    I see. So you agree that the USA is in the drug business in Afghanistan and it is our policy. That'd be yours and mine, among others. Howcum I didn't get a vote on that and why aren't the politicians braggin' it up?

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I see. So you agree that the USA is in the drug business in Afghanistan and it is our policy. That'd be yours and mine, among others. Howcum I didn't get a vote on that and why aren't the politicians braffin' it up?
    The USA is working with what it has to work with. Not every situation is going to be ideal. It's a backwards ass country, what would you expect? What would you suggest? And what is "braffin"?

  10. #50
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Millions in CIA "ghost money" paid to Afghan president's office: New York Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I have posted a few threads about the lost cash in Iraq and few cared to respond. Millions of missing dollars disappear out of thin air, yet few gave a rat's ass. Yet someone here posts something about food stamps being used for potato chips, and by golly, 85 pages into it, the flaming partisans still have their panties all knotted up.
    I believe their is a difference. I suspect that a lot of the CIA's shadow money is probably never part of our budget or economy, they simply print off money to hand out unbeknown to most. On the other hand government programs that are part of the budget have larger impact on the taxpayers. Don't get me wrong I am against government payouts to anyone. I just don't think the two are the same.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •