Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 172

Thread: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm trying to be reasonable. A guy and his kid brother, with pressure cookers, guns and no training just crippled a major city for a day. You think that's reasonable?



    So, they would have to destroy western civilization AND escape to win? Aren't you setting the goals for a couple of untrained dip****s with no real weaponry a bit high?
    Yes, I'm being reasonable because I expect that it does no one any good to claim the terrorists won because they weren't sheltering in place and ran into two desperate murders who then killed them. There's sensible and then there is willful recklessness. The authorities in charge would be castigated for failure to protect the public safety from a known threat.

    Destroy western civilization? That was their goal? (I think was already asked of you, but I didn't see your reply, if you made one.)

    I thought they were trying terrorize a city and get away with it. One goal, temporarily met, the other a big fail.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #62
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt



  3. #63
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's not mind reading, it's simple logic. How much could a guy and his kid brother, without any serious weaponry, expect to accomplish? The fall of the western world? haha

    In fact, who cares what they expected!

    Let's just look at what they did and with what.
    No, there's no logic in what you say. Logic would suggest looking at other terrorists and see if their goals were anything like the nonsense you claim (Hint: they weren't)

    AFAIK, no terrorist group has ever had "creating terror" or "destroying western civilization" as a goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #64
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yes, I'm being reasonable because I expect that it does no one any good to claim the terrorists won
    Sure it does. It causes us to re-examine our own goals and expectations.

  5. #65
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, there's no logic in what you say. Logic would suggest looking at other terrorists and see if their goals were anything like the nonsense you claim
    What do you think they were trying to do?

    AFAIK, no terrorist group has ever had "creating terror" or "destroying western civilization" as a goal.
    Haha

  6. #66
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    AFAIK, no terrorist group has ever had ... "destroying western civilization" as a goal.
    Huh? That's exactly what radical Islam says they want to do.


  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yes, I'm being reasonable because I expect that it does no one any good to claim the terrorists won because they weren't sheltering in place and ran into two desperate murders who then killed them.
    There is the quote, in context. Please do not edit my posts to change the meaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Sure it does. It causes us to re-examine our own goals and expectations.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  8. #68
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's not insane to presume they intended to create terror. Ok, how about this: who cares what they intended or expected.

    The bottom line is, a guy and his kid brother managed to lockdown a million people and turn Boston into a ghost town with nothing more than pipe bombs, a couple pressure cookers and guns.
    Your subsitituting of the word "intent" for "goal" is dishonest.

    As far as who cares about their goal, the answer is "Most americans". Only the idiots don't care.

    The bottom line is that whatever their goal was, it was thwarted. Your refusal to consider anything other than the fact that they shut down Boston for a day is known as "Anchoring" and it is considered irrational

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #69
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    You're willing to make that statement based on a single-sentence article at Rare | Red is the center

  10. #70
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boston Marathon bombing suspect caught after day-long manhunt

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What do you think they were trying to do?



    Haha
    IOW, you've got nothing.

    Please name the terrorists who had nothing but "creating terror" as their intent
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •