Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 205

Thread: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

  1. #141
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Get shown wrong and then move the posts to avoid anyone noticing. It's not working for you. We were talking about cameras and photography in public. You remember, your argument about photons?

    Game over, let's move on.
    There was no moving of posts, you're just making things up now.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #142
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    If it's a journalist and you're at a news-worthy event, you can't sue.

    If the photographer uses your image for commercial purposes without permission, they have a case.
    Nope, not if it's a photo taken in public. Nothing newsworthy about Sheryl Crow say, getting a cup of coffee and walking back to her car. And the paparazzi are not journalists. Yet every day such photo content is bought and sold without release.

  3. #143
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,933
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It's clear that just because you are in public you haven't waived all rights to privacy, however, any part of you or part of your property that is readily visible to others in the public no longer has an expectation of privacy or right to privacy. If you're naked in public, you have waived your right to privacy of your person. If you carry a bloody knife openly in public, that may be used against you in a trial if that bloody knife is material to a crime. Likewise, if you invite police into your home and they see a bloody knife on a table in plain view, they don't need a search warrant to take that bloody knife as evidence of a crime.

    By going out in public, you are waiving your right to privacy of that which you display in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Yeah. What's up with that? Seems like a natural thing to focus on. Maybe they assumed it might be a red herring.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'm still at a bit of a loss that it wasn't done...
    Good evening, gentlemen.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #144
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope, not if it's a photo taken in public. Nothing newsworthy about Sheryl Crow say, getting a cup of coffee and walking back to her car. And the paparazzi are not journalists. Yet every day such photo content is bought and sold without release.
    The reason movie stars don't sue, is because it's free publicity. They would be stupid to sue the paparazzi. However, the paparazzi sell their photos to magazines, which means that they're not for commercial use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,312

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    You watch too many episodes of "CSI." You can't create detail when the camera didn't capture it.
    I hear ya but that's not entirely true. They can sharpen using nearby pixels to enhance. But, yes, there certainly are limitations. And, yes, I do watch too much CSI.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nope, not if it's a photo taken in public. Nothing newsworthy about Sheryl Crow say, getting a cup of coffee and walking back to her car. And the paparazzi are not journalists. Yet every day such photo content is bought and sold without release.
    Sheryl Crow is a public figure. A photo of Ms Crow in a public place can be purchased and published by a media outlet.

    However, you cannot take a photograph of Ms Crow drinking a soda, and using that photo in an advertisement.

    You may not like the paparazzi, but they have the legal right to take photos of public figures when they are in public.

  7. #147
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    These two are clearly right wing conservative extremist types. They definitely fit the stereotype.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,312

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Good evening, gentlemen.
    Evenin' Jack

  9. #149
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Yes, but there are specific uses that are legal, and others that are not.

    I cannot take a photo of a random person on the street, and use it for commercial purposes without their permission.

    I can take photos of a public figure in a public place, and use those photos for commercial purposes, without their permission.

    I can take pictures of a crime in progress, as long as it is visible from the street. The pictures I take can, without question, be used in a legal proceeding.

    I can take videos of a police officer performing his or her duties, as long as I am not interfering with the officer.

    Is any of this unclear?
    Only one part, how is "public figure" defined by law? AND I will point to these being legislative restrictions not constitutional restrictions (in case Ikari wishes to ressurrect the busted identity argument).

  10. #150
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: FBI releases photos of Boston blast suspects

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Good evening, gentlemen.
    You got a hang up on The Texas Rangers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •