Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 463

Thread: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks...[W: 349]

  1. #331
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which has nothing to do with any bill on background checks taking away your rights.
    People who are vigilant in protecting the Constitution don't like slippery slopes.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #332
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    People who are vigilant in protecting the Constitution don't like slippery slopes.
    One then has to wonder why so many on the right seem to be permanently living at the intersection of Slippery Slope Street and Paranoia Place.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #333
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    One then has to wonder why so many on the right seem to be permanently living at the intersection of Slippery Slope Street and Paranoia Place.
    Just try to put more regs on abortion, and find out who lives on that corner too.

  4. #334
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    Just try to put more regs on abortion, and find out who lives on that corner too.
    THE DEERHUNTER.
    Robert DeNiro.

    "This is this, this isn't something else, this is this."
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #335
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    93% of Americans are in favor of
    background checks. Sad that 46 Senators lack a backbone to stand up to the NRA and the wacko gun lobby.
    Wrong,

    Look, it WASN'T suppose to pass the house and Obama knew that.

    This whole thing, the demagogy, the crying Newtown parents, the fear mongering and posting statistics that are flat out lies, was for the sole purpose of creating a wedge issue in the 2014 midterms.

    And this was being done as our economic issues were being ignored.

    Classy Democrats

  6. #336
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry Zyph...but you are wrong. I don't support banning handguns.
    Well, wonderful job moving the goal post there.

    I do, however, believe that there are some weapons such as military assault weapons that justifiably should be banned.
    Thanks for admitting you flat out were lying and being amazingly dishonest.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I don't support gun bans.
    Congratulations...you show yourself to be a complete and utter hyper partisan whose words should never be considered to be anything more than bull**** as you will willingly and happily lie about what you feel to push your agenda.

    Disgusting, simpilar to the disgusting fake attempt to cry about "liberty and justice for all" in your signature. You don't give a damn about civil rights, you just a typical hollow politically driven shill who will say anything to push their agenda and to hell with principles.

    And YES....I do believe that there are people out there who should not be able to own weapons...but because I believe that convicted felons and mentally ill individuals should not be able to possess guns does not mean that I believe in a flat-out weapon ban.
    And more dishonesty by your civil rights hating self, as you declare people who wish to own certain guns to be "mentally ill". Thus the very notion of wanting to exercise ones civil right makes them target to be restrained from doing it by the government.

    It's a sick and twisted form of logic. Congratulations, your disgust and disdain for civil liberties is on par with those afraid of "the gays" getting married. You're no better than them, you tailor your arguments and your views to suit your bigoted view point just like they do to justify your assault on civil liberties.

  7. #337
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    No, YOU were the one that brought up the opinion that conservatives are paranoid or scared of the slippery slope. I just pointed out your inconsistency. Of course I should know better than to argue with one who is inconsistent. Welcome to the ignore list.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    THE DEERHUNTER.
    Robert DeNiro.

    "This is this, this isn't something else, this is this."

  8. #338
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, wonderful job moving the goal post there.



    Thanks for admitting you flat out were lying and being amazingly dishonest.



    Congratulations...you show yourself to be a complete and utter hyper partisan whose words should never be considered to be anything more than bull**** as you will willingly and happily lie about what you feel to push your agenda.

    Disgusting, simpilar to the disgusting fake attempt to cry about "liberty and justice for all" in your signature. You don't give a damn about civil rights, you just a typical hollow politically driven shill who will say anything to push their agenda and to hell with principles.



    And more dishonesty by your civil rights hating self, as you declare people who wish to own certain guns to be "mentally ill". Thus the very notion of wanting to exercise ones civil right makes them target to be restrained from doing it by the government.

    It's a sick and twisted form of logic. Congratulations, your disgust and disdain for civil liberties is on par with those afraid of "the gays" getting married. You're no better than them, you tailor your arguments and your views to suit your bigoted view point just like they do to justify your assault on civil liberties.

    You can claim whatever you want to Zyph...but the bottom line is that in order to "support" your argument, you resort to misconstruing things that I have said in order to fit your diatribe here. It is very clear from my posts that when I am talking about "gun bans" I'm talking about flat-out bans on guns. So your attempt to claim that I "lied" and attempts to claim inconsistencies is a big FAIL. I have said all along...and I will say here again, just in case you honestly misunderstood my position rather than manipulatively misconstrued it.....I DO believe that there are some classes of weapons that SHOULD be banned. The Constitution already allows the banning of some weapons and it is arguable whether additional bans would be Constitutional. What I don't support is the banning of handguns and most rifles. See, Zyph....the problem with your argument and the problem with a lot of the gun nuts is that arguments such as yours are used by them to fuel their paranoia that people are coming after their guns. Its not true...and it is nothing more than hysteria. Most people in this country do not support an all out gun ban which means that it is never going to get legislated. The idea that you have to fight every reasonable effort at curtailing gun violence in this country because it possibly could lead to a slippery slope that would lead the government to come knocking on people's doors to steal their guns is absurd. However, it is a talking point that gets perpetuated by the NRA and other special interest groups.
    The bottom line is that your diatribe here on me is wrong because it is based on a faulty premise and it takes leaps that are illogical. You are better than this Zyph. We don't always agree, however, I generally don't see you resorting to misconstruing facts the way that you did so here.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #339
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    You claimed you did not support gun bans. Not "complete gun ban". Not "ban on all guns". But "gun bans", full stop. You then claim you support some gun bans.

    You lied. You decieved. You were dishonest. Which fits with your bogus signature line and hollow hypocritical stance on civil rights.

    Everything else is you backpeddling trying to cover your tail.

    It is people like you that are the individuals behind this legislation and like you they can not be trusted, which is exactly why I'm happy to see it fail before it goes any farther.

  10. #340
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    No, YOU were the one that brought up the opinion that conservatives are paranoid or scared of the slippery slope. I just pointed out your inconsistency. Of course I should know better than to argue with one who is inconsistent. Welcome to the ignore list.
    You did NOT point out any inconsistency. You simply attempted to employ the age old tactic that defended your own idiots by saying some of your enemies are also idiots. Such an assertion - while making you feel good about yourself and your allies - does nothing in any way shape or from to negate the truth of paranoia on the far right on this issue.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •