Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 463

Thread: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks...[W: 349]

  1. #251
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You obviously didn't understand the post...
    No. I understood it quite perfectly. The right to keep and bear arms is not absolute. That is just a fact. There are all kinds of weapons that are currently restricted.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #252
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fi

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are simply wrong. Sorry. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. There is no right that is absolute. The Constitution does not make any right absolute. It only limits restrictions that the government can place...but the key word is "LIMIT". It doesn't ban all restrictions.
    Like I said earlier, if the Constitution doesn't say you can, then you can't.

    Does the Constitution say that the government can require background checks in order to bear arms?

  3. #253
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No. I understood it quite perfectly. The right to keep and bear arms is not absolute. That is just a fact. There are all kinds of weapons that are currently restricted.
    Do you understand what "bear" means? As has already been mentioned, each citizen should have access to the same weapons that are individually issued to the military or law enforcement...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #254
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Like I said earlier, if the Constitution doesn't say you can, then you can't.

    Does the Constitution say that the government can require background checks in order to bear arms?
    You have to understand the leftwing view of the constitution. THe government can do anything it wants unless the ACLU and the Courts say otherwise. the concept of a government limited to the specific powers delegated to it is something they reject and ignore



  5. #255
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No it isn't. There are hundreds of examples of limitations that are placed all over the bill of rights that are Constitutional.
    The constitution lays out the powers granted to the Government. But like a child, when you tell them what they can do, you also have to say what they can't. And that's the Bill of Rights. It's a list of "can't"s
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are simply wrong. Sorry. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. There is no right that is absolute.
    The only person here that doesn't know what they are talking about is you. I could argue that speech never violates the rights of someone else, and like it or not I would have a good argument towards those ends to make. That is not the point however. The point is that until such point that someone violates the rights of someone else rights are untouchable. The second amendment makes it very clear the peoples right to bear arms is unrestricted and the fact is all rights work on this same principle.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wrong. It is not absolute. What it DOES require is that any limitation which the government seeks to impose must be supported by a compelling governmental interest, otherwise it would be stricken as unconstitutional. But you are 100% wrong if you claim it is absolute.
    Not compelling government interest. Nothing in compelling government interest. Compelling government interest is to enslave us all and establish an aristocracy. Limitations are only found in functional and direct threats to the rights of others.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #258
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    This whole situation was an exploitation of a tragedy. It was the President's, as well as other Dems, intent to move something through the Senate and have it go nowhere in the House to use in the 2014 election cycle. That's why the President was so angry last night. He just lost one of his aces n the hole...
    Just because Obama has no re-election hopes does not make it so for other demorats in the Senate. The nonsense that 90% (or so) of the people favor federal gov't mandated user fees for all gun transfers/sales is rediculous, especially if none of that fee is used to fund any further enforcement of federal gun laws. Surely people see a distiction from requiring presentation of photo ID (to prove age) for alcohol/tobacco purchases and charging a "clerk fee" for the required examination of that ID.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wrong. It is not absolute. What it DOES require is that any limitation which the government seeks to impose must be supported by a compelling governmental interest, otherwise it would be stricken as unconstitutional. But you are 100% wrong if you claim it is absolute.
    The only interest government has is power.

  10. #260
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The only person here that doesn't know what they are talking about is you. I could argue that speech never violates the rights of someone else, and like it or not I would have a good argument towards those ends to make. That is not the point however. The point is that until such point that someone violates the rights of someone else rights are untouchable. The second amendment makes it very clear the peoples right to bear arms is unrestricted and the fact is all rights work on this same principle.
    Again....just displaying that you don't know what you are talking about. If the right to possess weapons under the 2nd Amendment is absolute, how do you account for the fact that there are already weapons that are currently banned?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •