Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 463

Thread: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks...[W: 349]

  1. #241
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,785

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It is my personal impression and belief that the bill which was defeated yesterday was a stepping stone towards those sorts of things.
    Which exists entirely in your own head since by your own admission there is no such thing in that bill. Such fears of things which are not there are normally filed under the category of paranoia.
    Last edited by haymarket; 04-18-13 at 07:15 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #242
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Indeed, but that's my opinion on the matter and a true compromise would give a little something something to the gun supporters. What was going through Congress was not a compromise.
    This whole situation was an exploitation of a tragedy. It was the President's, as well as other Dems, intent to move something through the Senate and have it go nowhere in the House to use in the 2014 election cycle. That's why the President was so angry last night. He just lost one of his aces n the hole...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #243
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No right is absolute, all rights come with the one and only limitation that you may not infringe upon the rights of others in the exercise of your own.

    But just because that limitation exists doesn't mean you have unlimited powers to limit the exercise of rights.
    Never claimed that anyone does have unlimited powers to limit the exercise of rights. In fact, I would say that right is very limited. However, what many of the gun nuts of this site and others fail to comprehend is that not every limitation is UnConstitutional. They seem to be of the mistaken belief that gun right are absolute.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #244
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Never claimed that anyone does have unlimited powers to limit the exercise of rights. In fact, I would say that right is very limited. However, what many of the gun nuts of this site and others fail to comprehend is that not every limitation is UnConstitutional. They seem to be of the mistaken belief that gun right are absolute.
    To keep and bear arms IS absolute. To wave my gun in other people's face, is not. That's where the restrictions come in.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #245
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Never claimed that anyone does have unlimited powers to limit the exercise of rights. In fact, I would say that right is very limited. However, what many of the gun nuts of this site and others fail to comprehend is that not every limitation is UnConstitutional. They seem to be of the mistaken belief that gun right are absolute.
    Gun rights are absolute as long as you are a responsible owner...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #246
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is why we punish people when they violate the rights of someone else. That however has nothing to do with their rights before such point. At that point in time their rights are ABSOLUTE. Many people like yourself don't seem to understand this concept though.
    You are simply wrong. Sorry. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. There is no right that is absolute. The Constitution does not make any right absolute. It only limits restrictions that the government can place...but the key word is "LIMIT". It doesn't ban all restrictions.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #247
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are simply wrong. Sorry. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. There is no right that is absolute. The Constitution does not make any right absolute.
    The Constitution in fact makes NO right at all. It merely lists a few of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It only limits restrictions that the government can place...but the key word is "LIMIT". It doesn't ban all restrictions.
    The Bill of Rights is explicitly a "hands off" statement.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #248
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    To keep and bear arms IS absolute. To wave my gun in other people's face, is not. That's where the restrictions come in.
    Wrong. It is not absolute. What it DOES require is that any limitation which the government seeks to impose must be supported by a compelling governmental interest, otherwise it would be stricken as unconstitutional. But you are 100% wrong if you claim it is absolute.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #249
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wrong. It is not absolute. What it DOES require is that any limitation which the government seeks to impose must be supported by a compelling governmental interest, otherwise it would be stricken as unconstitutional. But you are 100% wrong if you claim it is absolute.
    You obviously didn't understand the post...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #250
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: The Senate has defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The Constitution in fact makes NO right at all. It merely lists a few of them.



    The Bill of Rights is explicitly a "hands off" statement.
    No it isn't. There are hundreds of examples of limitations that are placed all over the bill of rights that are Constitutional.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •