Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

  1. #61
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    What a juvenile understanding of business. LOL

    So, why would businesses hire people in the first place? Why bother if the whole reason is just to "screw them over" and fire them?

    .
    Businesses need people to work. Speaking of juvenile understandings, are you really sitting here trying to say that business dont actively look for ways to screw over employees in order to save/make more money? Seriously man, if that is your idea understanding something you should probably just give up now.

    Sounds like someone who's been fired from a few jobs for underperforming and won't take responsibility to me
    Are you able to back this up in any way at all? Do you know me? Or are you just throwing random stupid statements out there hoping something will stick because you aren't capable of talking facts or anything resembling an intelligent statement?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #62
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Businesses need people to work. Speaking of juvenile understandings, are you really sitting here trying to say that business dont actively look for ways to screw over employees in order to save/make more money? Seriously man, if that is your idea understanding something you should probably just give up now.



    Are you able to back this up in any way at all? Do you know me? Or are you just throwing random stupid statements out there hoping something will stick because you aren't capable of talking facts or anything resembling an intelligent statement?
    Good gosh, dude.

    I've have worked my way up in several companies. They have gone to great lengths to provide me opportunity, and I seize that opportunity. It's there for the taking if you want it.

    Yes, companies are always looking to get rid of unproductive people and replace them with better people. You're right there. And when margins are not being met, they have to cut people and ask more of others. Reality of economics.

    What you're defending is the lazy complainers that call in sick at least once a week - EVERY WEEK WITHOUT FAIL - and you're trying to blame the company for wanting to rid itself of those types.

    You see employment as a right and a sentence. I see it as a privilege and an opportunity.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    that's laughable.
    You've obviously never been in a decision-making position within a company. The more profits and people and locations you have, the more secure a business is in good times and bad.

    Investors and banks demand certain profit margins and returns. That drives growth and downsizing, not a bunch of mean-spirited executives who get their jollies by making people suffer.

    What YOU are saying is laughable.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Good gosh, dude.

    I've have worked my way up in several companies. They have gone to great lengths to provide me opportunity, and I seize that opportunity. It's there for the taking if you want it.

    Yes, companies are always looking to get rid of unproductive people and replace them with better people. You're right there. And when margins are not being met, they have to cut people and ask more of others. Reality of economics.

    What you're defending is the lazy complainers that call in sick at least once a week - EVERY WEEK WITHOUT FAIL - and you're trying to blame the company for wanting to rid itself of those types.

    You see employment as a right and a sentence. I see it as a privilege and an opportunity.
    Before I respond here, did you accidently quote the wrong post?

    If you didnt misquote here, are you able to actually prove or reasonably support anything you posted above?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #65
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You've obviously never been in a decision-making position within a company. The more profits and people and locations you have, the more secure a business is in good times and bad.

    Investors and banks demand certain profit margins and returns. That drives growth and downsizing, not a bunch of mean-spirited executives who get their jollies by making people suffer.

    What YOU are saying is laughable.
    you assume wrong!
    When i was a branch manager, i was told cut all costs as much as possible. Including labor.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    What was the excuse businesses used when they pretty much all shipped their manufacturing to China?
    ask obama's jobs czar

    GE moving X-ray business to China. What message is sent to U.S.? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs

    tax avoidance czar, in addition

    General Electric Paid No Federal Taxes in 2010 - ABC News

    gosh, even barack pay-your-fair-share obama plopped down a whopping 18%

  7. #67
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It's a business decision 'tis true. There are other options, however. These other options, though, might cut into profits. Not something most companies would choose to do.
    Movie theater margins aren't as large as many think CC., the theater takes a very small cut of ticket sales which is why concession has that ridiculous markup. There really isn't a lot of wiggle room when costs skew up something's got to give, it's much more likely to harm your bottom line by furter increasing concessions, ticket prices are set by the studios iirc, and that leaves only personnel.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #68
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It's a business decision 'tis true. There are other options, however. These other options, though, might cut into profits. Not something most companies would choose to do.
    There are only so many profits and those have to be divided up between those who own the business. Its a FOR profit business.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #69
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    01-29-15 @ 07:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    88

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    you assume wrong!
    When i was a branch manager, i was told cut all costs as much as possible. Including labor.

    What's your point? Companies seek to improve the bottom line. Sometimes that means cutting costs; other times that means expanding.

  10. #70
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Nation's Biggest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Workweek, Blaming ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    that's laughable.
    No it isn't. The whole point of business is growth, Erod was completely right in his response. And he's also correct that margins push growth, he didn't mention that margins can also drive shrinkage but that should be understood.

    Typical margins for a sucessful business, 8-10% and that is paying bills plus showing a respectable profit, +10% profit is growth, 6-8% is barely holding on, sub 6% is shrinking/dying.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •