Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 393

Thread: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

  1. #371
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,977
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    FFS, even your cut and paste without footnote backs up the the point that they did not give up the colonies easily.

    "However, control was gradually reestablished by Charles de Gaulle. The French Union, included in the 1946 Constitution of 1946, replaced the former colonial Empire.........Some few colonies chose instead to remain part of France, under the status of overseas départements (territories). Critics of neocolonialism claimed that the Françafrique had replaced formal direct rule. They argued that while de Gaulle was granting independence on one hand, he was creating new ties with the help of Jacques Foccart, his counsellor for African matters. "

    French colonial empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Again, the point you keep avoiding is that Gaullism sought to retain the colonies for as long as possible. It was based on the RWA view of keeping the old imperial rule intact for as long as possible.

    And still, you are so desperate for a "win", you keep beating this dead horse of an argument. Sad.
    The "win" as you put it is already in hand. I'm actually just trying to help you out, your bad manners notwithstanding. DeGaulle's genius was to sever French greatness (gloire) from de jure possession of colonies. That allowed him the freedom to refashion French politics and government at home. Regardless, I only introduced Gaullism as another example, like neoconservatism, of a political ideology that has no meaning outside a specific national context. With each additional post on this sub-thread you reinforce my point.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #372
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Not a chance.
    Yes, you prove over and over your powers of denial, but that is just a step.

    Because the ideology is meaningless outside the American context, an ideological link cannot exist abroad.
    I know, you believe still that political ideologies can't cross geographic lines, but it can be genetically transferred. It is amazing that it escaped NY and made it to DC!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #373
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,977
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Yes, you prove over and over your powers of denial, but that is just a step.

    I know, you believe still that political ideologies can't cross geographic lines, but it can be genetically transferred. It is amazing that it escaped NY and made it to DC!
    Now you are degenerating into irrationality (at best) or dishonesty (at worst). Oh well. I tried.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #374
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The "win" as you put it is already in hand. I'm actually just trying to help you out, your bad manners notwithstanding. DeGaulle's genius was to sever French greatness (gloire) from de jure possession of colonies. That allowed him the freedom to refashion French politics and government at home. Regardless, I only introduced Gaullism as another example, like neoconservatism, of a political ideology that has no meaning outside a specific national context. With each additional post on this sub-thread you reinforce my point.
    Gaullism was recognized as political/econ set of beliefs adopted by Konrad Adenauer & Gerhard Schröder in Germany, so this WEIRD idea you have that political ideologies are bound by geography again falls on it's face.

    It is just stupid to hold to this position, but there you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #375
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I know, you believe still that political ideologies can't cross geographic lines, but it can be genetically transferred. It is amazing that it escaped NY and made it to DC!
    The only connections it seems to have are as follows:

    Hawkish Democratic anti-Terrorist foreign policy

    Hawkish nationalism

    That's quite weak.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #376
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Now you are degenerating into irrationality (at best) or dishonesty (at worst). Oh well. I tried.
    No, you failed on so many levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #377
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,977
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Gaullism was recognized as political/econ set of beliefs adopted by Konrad Adenauer & Gerhard Schröder in Germany, so this WEIRD idea you have that political ideologies are bound by geography again falls on it's face.

    It is just stupid to hold to this position, but there you are.
    It is a falsehood to claim that Konrad Adenauer was a Gaullist. Even your own link does not claim Schroder was a Gaullist.
    Last edited by Jack Hays; 04-21-13 at 04:39 PM.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #378
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,977
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, you failed on so many levels.
    I'm not the one defending the logically impossible or the historically inaccurate.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #379
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,977
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Gaullism was recognized as political/econ set of beliefs adopted by Konrad Adenauer & Gerhard Schröder in Germany, so this WEIRD idea you have that political ideologies are bound by geography again falls on it's face.

    It is just stupid to hold to this position, but there you are.
    The "Gaullism" of of Adenauer was a term with an utterly different meaning in Germany than the Gaullism of DeGaulle in France.

    The expression Gaullist has also been used in the politics of the Federal Republic of Germany in the 1950s and 1960s. In the governing Christian Democratic party some wanted to strengthen the ties with the United States, the Atlantiker (Atlanticians), others wanted to build up a European counterweight, with the help of France, the Gaullists.

    The most notable Gaullist was chancellor Konrad Adenauer, an outstanding Atlantiker his minister of foreign affairs, Gerhard Schröder. A typical Atlantiker was Protestant and believed in free market economy, a typical Gaullist was Catholic and tended toward Rhine capitalism with its more regulated markets and state intervention.

    A problem to the Gaullists has been that their concept of foreign relationships was based on a strong European integration, which needed support from France. French president Charles de Gaulle actually was reluctant to give more power to European institutions and advocated instead a less tight Europe of the nations.

    After de Gaulle's retreat in 1969 and the end of Christian Democratic government in Germany the same year, the distinction lost its prominence. Anyway, even Gaullists always believed that the relationship to the United States was in general the most important.[citation needed]
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #380
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Obama sends former officials to Thatcher funeral

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It is a falsehood to claim that Konrad Adenauer was a Gaullist. Even your own link does not claim Schroder was a Gaullist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The most notable Gaullist was chancellor Konrad Adenauer, an outstanding Atlantiker his minister of foreign affairs, Gerhard Schröder. A typical Atlantiker was Protestant and believed in free market economy, a typical Gaullist was Catholic and tended toward Rhine capitalism with its more regulated markets and state intervention.
    Let me see...um..... cognitive dissonance? Yes, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •