Page 75 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 923

Thread: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon [W:162, 896, 911]]

  1. #741
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    *shrug* -- I can definitely see a difference between Benghazi and what happened in Boston -- if just for the 8-year-old boy, his mom and sister. Sad, sad day.
    I can understand.....although I am ex military and was raised with a bit of different concept with the Flag. While it is regrettable as to what took place here. Myself, I cannot dismiss the 2 Navy Seals that took on 2 waves of attacks and over a hundred attackers killing 60 of them before they to died. In which a Flag for the US Ambassador and those that died. Was raised for a day. Also by doing this would those around the World then see this as another Terror attack upon US Soil? Regardless of our own perception here in the US.

  2. #742
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I can understand.....although I am ex military and was raised with a bit of different concept with the Flag. While it is regrettable as to what took place here. Myself, I cannot dismiss the 2 Navy Seals that took on 2 waves of attacks and over a hundred attackers killing 60 of them before they to died. In which a Flag for the US Ambassador and those that died. Was raised for a day. Also by doing this would those around the World then see this as another Terror attack upon US Soil? Regardless of our own perception here in the US.
    I can see your point re Benghazi when you remind me of exactly what went down there. It should have been at half-mast longer in hindsight. Perhaps there are protocols? Whatever the reason, lowering it as they've done for Boston seems appropriate to me.

    As to it looking like a terrorist attack to the rest of the world: it was.

    Protocols for Half Mast

    http://www1.va.gov/opa/publications/.../halfstaff.pdf
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #743
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Perhaps the smell of garbage in with the bombs masked the odor for the dogs? Could it be that simple?
    No, that's not it. Dogs can distinguish odors even when they are just one of many smells present.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #744
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    CNN is reporting that sources tell them that one of the bombs was hidden inside of a metal pressure cooker concealed in a backpack.

  5. #745
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I just hope there's no more bombs or terrorit attacks in the US or indeed UK which hosts Mrs Thatchers funeral tomorrow with dignitaries attending from across the globe including former US Presidents and the London Marathon is on this Sunday

    BBC News - Boston Marathon blasts: London Marathon to review security
    Indeed, violence is sickening. Best of luck to you guys and gals as well.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #746
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, that's not it. Dogs can distinguish odors even when they are just one of many smells present.
    I would question that......as I know Guards that handle dogs for Prisons. Which they say the inmates lay down black and red peppers on the floor. Even chili powder. Course which throws the dog off sent and causes it to sneeze. Which really doesn't then stop a fully detailed search. Just that the guards remove that dog after encountering such. Although I don't know if it would be the same for explosives. Other than the sneezing part should they cross such ingredients.

  7. #747
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I would question that......as I know Guards that handle dogs for Prisons. Which they say the inmates lay down black and red peppers on the floor. Even chili powder. Course which throws the dog off sent and causes it to sneeze. Which really doesn't then stop a fully detailed search. Just that the guards remove that dog after encountering such. Although I don't know if it would be the same for explosives. Other than the sneezing part should they cross such ingredients.
    Hot pepper doesn't work because it confuses the dogs sense of smell; it works because it hurts the dogs nose.

    I assume that when (and if) a dog encounters pepper, it signals that to its' handler, and another dog is brought in, as you suggested. And it's probably a huge "tell" that something is being hidden nearby
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #748
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    CNN is reporting that sources tell them that one of the bombs was hidden inside of a metal pressure cooker concealed in a backpack.
    Those are the style used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

  9. #749
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Hot pepper doesn't work because it confuses the dogs sense of smell; it works because it hurts the dogs nose.

    I assume that when (and if) a dog encounters pepper, it signals that to its' handler, and another dog is brought in, as you suggested. And it's probably a huge "tell" that something is being hidden nearby
    Unless you buff the entire floor with it, not hard to do and dogs avoid the area like the plague. They don't sneeze, they just won't go near it.

  10. #750
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Unless you buff the entire floor with it, not hard to do and dogs avoid the area like the plague. They don't sneeze, they just won't go near it.
    I don't know the details of these dogs training, but if a dog is commanded to search an area, and refuses to do so, I would assume that would raise a few eyebrows and result in a search of that area. I doubt that the handlers just say "Oh well" and move on to another area.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 75 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •