Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 923

Thread: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon [W:162, 896, 911]]

  1. #641
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    I dunno, but when I think of bomb-dogs, cadaver-dogs or drug-dogs, I tend to think that if certain substances are within a certain vicinity of their smelling ability, that they'll react in the manner they either know or have been trained to do. And dogs can smell things at incredible distances. Particularly if they've been trained to do so, and know what they're smelling for. When the dogs are out there with their handlers, they know they're working. I don't know the technical footage of their sniffers though, but it is impressive, to say the very least when you compare it to our standard of smelling.


    I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that scent dogs do not work continuously. Instead, they sniff out for short periods when ordered to do so. However, because these dogs tend to be highly motivated, I could see the possibility of one of them alerting on a smell in order to get a reward. But on the other hand, these dogs, being highly trained, have been strongly conditioned to expect rewards *only* when they are following commands. When training a dog, particularly at that level, it is very important that the dog perform a behavior only when it's commanded to do so. Otherwise, you get what's called "default behaviors", where the dog performs it's "favorite" behavior over and over in the hope of getting a reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #642
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I suspect they will add gunpowder to their ban wish list.
    Taggants
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #643
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I am fairly sure that inside the next day, or at most, week, we'll hear someone suggesting some new law or rule as a result of this.
    A guy that I was in the navy with lives in RI. He said the state has already said they will be randomly stopping people on the streets with backpacks to do searches. So much for that 4th amendment thing.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #644
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,379

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    Several animal rights and save the earth groups have printed and distributed information on using incendiaries and explosives. What do you suppose they went through all that effort for? Perhaps bombings and arson? Also, google Sterling Hall. That guy did not deserve to die.
    Ok. I'll give you one death and that was during the horror of 65,000 dead Americans in Vietnam. Anti-war was not only a leftist movement.
    So it's 1 vs ? How many dead from right wing extremist groups again? 168 dead at Oklahoma City alone. Then there's Waco....
    Righties are the king of violent nutcases I'm afraid. 99% just spew violence but that 1% are DOERS.
    And things sure have heated up since King Bush was abducted. All hail the shrubbery.

  5. #645
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Why anyone would devote an ounce of their time to that network is beyond me.

    On that note there are reports coming out of this terrorist attack that Bomb sniffing dogs were on site and they were FULLY prepared for this event, all the way down to the hospitals.

    What that tells me is that they might have received threats prior to the race AND OR there was intelligence that there was a threat.

    Now if it comes out that there were credible threats and this STILL occurred ?
    Nope it was standard protocol for a high profile event with lots of people. Happens every year.

    That said we may or may not find someone wasn't doing their job or got sloppy.

  6. #646
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon


  7. #647
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,382

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Ok. I'll give you one death and that was during the horror of 65,000 dead Americans in Vietnam. Anti-war was not only a leftist movement.
    So it's 1 vs ? How many dead from right wing extremist groups again? 168 dead at Oklahoma City alone. Then there's Waco....
    Righties are the king of violent nutcases I'm afraid. 99% just spew violence but that 1% are DOERS.
    And things sure have heated up since King Bush was abducted. All hail the shrubbery.
    Never mind bud.....believe what you want. Anyone who questions your conspiracy must be part of it right? All the carnage and you are just clapping your hands in glee over the possibility it will justify your odd ball views. Grow up.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  8. #648
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,478

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I saw a report on CNN that the police have been there all day at one apartment in Revere,MA. Hopefully it isn't a false lead.

    If they were able to find the bomber's apt this fast it would be tremendous.

  9. #649
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that scent dogs do not work continuously. Instead, they sniff out for short periods when ordered to do so. However, because these dogs tend to be highly motivated, I could see the possibility of one of them alerting on a smell in order to get a reward. But on the other hand, these dogs, being highly trained, have been strongly conditioned to expect rewards *only* when they are following commands. When training a dog, particularly at that level, it is very important that the dog perform a behavior only when it's commanded to do so. Otherwise, you get what's called "default behaviors", where the dog performs it's "favorite" behavior over and over in the hope of getting a reward.
    Boston Marathon bombs: How strong were the bombs? - Slate Magazine

  10. #650
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Explosions reported near finish line at Boston Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    I saw a report on CNN that the police have been there all day at one apartment in Revere,MA. Hopefully it isn't a false lead.

    If they were able to find the bomber's apt this fast it would be tremendous.
    True. I would wonder how they traced that fast in the chaos if it's factual and they've get the right person, I would think it would take months to identify chemical compositions, make cross map of purchases, etc. but if they got the guy it would be fantastic, either stop everything cold or if it's a coordinated attack connect him to accomplices and bust them.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •