Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,136

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Dropping out of school is shortsighted. In an ideal world, high school education would be compulsory and those who drop out would be required to join the army or spend their days laboring for the good of society. There is a lot of construction work that needs doing around the country. That would be a good place to start.
    People who take advantage of the GED programs are not isolated to those who don't' know their gozintos (2 gozinto 4 2 times ). People drop out of school for a number of different reasons. My son has Aspersers and the school environment just isn't for him. Young women get pregnant. Some kids drop out to work and get food for their families. Next time you want to make a snarky comment think about it for a minute first.

  2. #12
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,486

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    My son has Aspersers and the school environment just isn't for him.
    Which is no excuse for him not to be educated by an accredited institution.

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Young women get pregnant.
    No exceptions for those who won't keep their pants zipped.

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Some kids drop out to work and get food for their families. Next time you want to make a snarky comment think about it for a minute first.
    My opinion stands. Go to school or become laborers of the State.

  3. #13
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,136

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Which is no excuse for him not to be educated by an accredited institution.



    No exceptions for those who won't keep their pants zipped.



    My opinion stands. Go to school or become laborers of the State.
    Do you have to practice to be an ass, or does it just come naturally?

  4. #14
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,486

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Do you have to practice to be an ass, or does it just come naturally?
    Quite naturally.

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Well here's a novel thought: Don't drop out of school in the first place!
    I suspect that there is a subset of "drop-outs" who drop out early, take the GED, and essentially graduate early, sans the ceremony, because they can go ahead and get started with college, or go ahead and get into the work force. I don't think that is the typical GED taker, but my experience and observation is that it happens with a regular frequency.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Dropping out of school is shortsighted. In an ideal world, high school education would be compulsory and those who drop out would be required to join the army or spend their days laboring for the good of society. There is a lot of construction work that needs doing around the country. That would be a good place to start.
    Can we also force the liberal arts and humanities majors to be janitors while we are at it?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    What are your thoughts, MMC?
    I am kind of Biased about it......since that is How I proceeded on with my life. As I went into the Military before I could graduate from High School, course I volunteered and was not drafted. So I took the GED, for the Equivalency Diploma. By the Time I had Made E-6.....I had already picked up my Associates of General Ed. So that I could have at least 2 years of College to go thru OCS. Which after I made E7.....I decided against becoming an Officer and remained an NCO until I got out.

    So I would be against those states that would get Rid of the Test. As like Liz and AG pointed out.....some people have things happen in their families wherein some may be forced to take care of their Parent or Parents, be forced to take on responsibilities of an adult.

    Also I would have to Agree with RA.....on just raising Prices as in doubling like overnight. Plus I have known other adults that went back just to get a Diploma. As they always wanted to graduate. But Never had the chance due to what came up in their lives.

    Another issue would be for those kids that want to join the Military but had dropped out. Without a Diploma today they can't in, as there is no draft.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Dropping out of school is shortsighted. In an ideal world, high school education would be compulsory and those who drop out would be required to join the army or spend their days laboring for the good of society. There is a lot of construction work that needs doing around the country. That would be a good place to start.
    Hows that work for those kids that end up having to take care of their Parent or parents? Caused by whatever accident or medical condition that forces the Kids to take on the Adult Responsibilities?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Can we also force the liberal arts and humanities majors to be janitors while we are at it?
    Well, there are plenty of Pencil pushers with Ph.D's that are out of work. Guess there isn't to many Openings for a PH'D in Studying Crocodile temperments, and Rabbit emotions.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,038

    Re: Some States Dropping GED as Test Price Spikes......

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I am kind of Biased about it......since that is How I proceeded on with my life. As I went into the Military before I could graduate from High School, course I volunteered and was not drafted. So I took the GED, for the Equivalency Diploma. By the Time I had Made E-6.....I had already picked up my Associates of General Ed. So that I could have at least 2 years of College to go thru OCS. Which after I made E7.....I decided against becoming an Officer and remained an NCO until I got out.

    So I would be against those states that would get Rid of the Test. As like Liz and AG pointed out.....some people have things happen in their families wherein some may be forced to take care of their Parent or Parents, be forced to take on responsibilities of an adult.

    Also I would have to Agree with RA.....on just raising Prices as in doubling like overnight. Plus I have known other adults that went back just to get a Diploma. As they always wanted to graduate. But Never had the chance due to what came up in their lives.

    Another issue would be for those kids that want to join the Military but had dropped out. Without a Diploma today they can't in, as there is no draft.
    Do you think $120 is too much for someone to afford to take a test which will grant them a GED?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •