Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 330

Thread: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

  1. #51
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    you can disagree with her but you can still respect her as a person and a grieving mother which many people in this thread have neglected to do.
    You keep harping on "grieving mother" as though it exempts her from any reproach.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #52
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    I understand the woman's grief. I sympathize for her loss, and wish her nothing but happiness.


    HOWEVER,


    Taking guns away from responsible people will not make any less likely that criminals or psychopaths will obtain them.

    Closing the loophole on gun shows is a constructive idea, but will it reduce crime or shootings? Highly unlikely....and completely disarming citizens is out of the question. So what to do?
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    I'm sure this lady was an anti gun nut well before the school shooting.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    your child's life for 15 minutes of fame....sick
    That's not fair, not fair at all. This is a bereaved parent who is being exploited.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    you can disagree with her but you can still respect her as a person and a grieving mother which many people in this thread have neglected to do.
    Seems several did though. That's why they agreed with RM's Post in Post 13. So that is neither here nor there with what is being played out over politics. Which is way back in the beginning of the thread. Why should she be respected for Victimization? Why should she be respected for pushing her tragedy onto others? Do you think that it is Right for her to push her gun views onto the rest of the nation due to this terrible tragedy? I mean we are not talking about this is something for their her own community in which the people of that community could decide for themselves. Why would they need to push it outside their own Community and even State?

    As much as I feel compassionate for her loss and other peoples' loss, it doesn't change the situation.

    I lost family too, as we all have at some point in our lives. Parents, siblings, etc, to natural deaths, disease or accidents. If you have a sibling die in a car accident what do you do? Go on a rant against cars? Go on a campaign to stop driving. You hold the person responsible for the accident accountable. That's what you do. And you don't impose your pain to dictate policy and rules over others. Why? Because there's just too much suffering in the world and if everybody who suffers loss of family due to something gets to make demands and impose doctrine upon others, we'll all be living in a tyranny.

    So lets be reasonable. Yes, the family has lost their child... and many others did too. But this grants her no special privilege, no special authority in the government or on a national scale. She is just a person and her suffering is limited to her experience and those who are her friends and who grieve with her. There is no reason for her suffering to be used as a tool to impose upon others.....snip~

    You, Fisher and ttwtt78640 like this.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You keep harping on "grieving mother" as though it exempts her from any reproach.
    Only cowards would attack her in my opinion and accuse her for prostituting herself self out or "seeking fame" as some have said in this thread. You can disagree with her but the hatred being thrown her way is well out of line, heaven forbid some tragic happens to any of you and your forced to make difficult choices.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #57
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Seems several did though. That's why they agreed with RM's Post in Post 13. So that is neither here nor there with what is being played out over politics. Which is way back in the beginning of the thread. Why should she be respected for Victimization? Why should she be respected for pushing her tragedy onto others? Do you think that it is Right for her to push her gun views onto the rest of the nation due to this terrible tragedy? I mean we are not talking about this is something for their her own community in which the people of that community could decide for themselves. Why would they need to push it outside their own Community and even State?

    As much as I feel compassionate for her loss and other peoples' loss, it doesn't change the situation.

    I lost family too, as we all have at some point in our lives. Parents, siblings, etc, to natural deaths, disease or accidents. If you have a sibling die in a car accident what do you do? Go on a rant against cars? Go on a campaign to stop driving. You hold the person responsible for the accident accountable. That's what you do. And you don't impose your pain to dictate policy and rules over others. Why? Because there's just too much suffering in the world and if everybody who suffers loss of family due to something gets to make demands and impose doctrine upon others, we'll all be living in a tyranny.

    So lets be reasonable. Yes, the family has lost their child... and many others did too. But this grants her no special privilege, no special authority in the government or on a national scale. She is just a person and her suffering is limited to her experience and those who are her friends and who grieve with her. There is no reason for her suffering to be used as a tool to impose upon others.....snip~

    You, Fisher and ttwtt78640 like this.
    Sandy hook was covered globally and it also shocked America! People want to hear from the families and this particular lady is using her podium time to approach a topic she feels strongly about and blames partly for the death of her son. Just because you don't like what she has to say doesn't make mean millions of other people won't sit up and listen to her, the very fact we are debating the subject now validates it.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Sandy hook was covered globally and it also shocked America! People want to hear from the families and this particular lady is using her podium time to approach a topic she feels strongly about and blames partly for the death of her son. Just because you don't like what she has to say doesn't make mean millions of other people won't sit up and listen to her, the very fact we are debating the subject now validates it.
    Yet that changes nothing of whats being said over the politics of it.....nor does it change that fact about her pushing agenda that goes outside her own community and her own people. There rest of us around the Country are not her people. We All have our own to issues to deal with in our own communities.

    As I am sure that living in Suburbia America she can really identify what its like for people to who have to live around far more dangerous places.....Right? Not like she has lived a life around it herself for her to know anything other than what the TV tells her.

    So there is no moral ground she has.....other than she was the victim of tragedy.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yet that changes nothing of whats being said over the politics of it.....nor does it change that fact about her pushing agenda that goes outside her own community and her own people. There rest of us around the Country are not her people. We All have our own to issues to deal with in our own communities.

    As I am sure that living in Suburbia America she can really identify what its like for people to who have to live around far more dangerous places.....Right? Not like she has lived a life around it herself for her to know anything other than what the TV tells her.

    So there is no moral ground she has.....other than she was the victim of tragedy.

    she has no moral high ground except the fact her infant son was gunned down in the biggest school massacre of American History....Your right she doesn't know what shes talking about
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #60
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,971

    re: Mother of Sandy Hook Victim Delivers White House Weekly Address.....[W322]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I would never demonize the mother.
    You have not. Others have.

    The politician that would exploit grief for gain...that's another matter.
    What gain is Obama getting? I think this comment is unintentionally telling of the mindset of gun supporters (whether your agree with gun control or not, this has been said multiple times).
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    All private property is comprised of inamimate objects
    But children are not. And this mother is pushing for changes which could protect future children, even if it won't save hers.

    and yes the citizens should have a say concerning that issue.
    Of course they should. Calling her a prostitute and the President a pimp? I think that's a little much.

    Can you explain how the NICS BG check system (current or with the proposed changes) would have had any impact on the Sandy Hook mass shooting?
    Why is that the only measure for which we should pass legislation? How stupid of a concept would that be, to pass legislation to prevent something which has already happened?

    The point isn't to prevent something which happened in December, it's to prevent a variety of situations which could occur in the future.

    Is expanding the federal control of "legal" gun sales going to decrease crime? No.
    There are many who disagree with you and have plenty of evidence to support them, just as you feel you have plenty of evidence to support you.

    Of over 72,000 "illegal" attempts (1.2% of the total) to buy guns, in 2010, exactly 13 were prosecuted for that crime.
    Completely irrelevant to future legislation. I agree these people should be held accountable, but just because they were not, that doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to solidify in all areas.

    The Sandy Hook shooting involved no "shady" gun sales, straw buyers or any other situation addressed in the proposed "universal BG check" legislation.
    That may be, but there are firearms used in crime all the time which do. Quit looking at this as something to prevent something which already happened, and more as something to help prevent something new from happening.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Why do politicians use emotional appeals to get their agendas passed?

    It works, that's why.

    Why don't politicians use reason and logic to sway public opinion?

    As homer once said (more than once, actually):

    Booorrrrriiiinnnnnggg!
    Yup. People are not interested in reason and logic. They want to be moved by emotion, whether the emotion is sadness, fear, hatred or some other stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    wow some cold hearted people in this thread! Some of you need to take a step back and take a look at yourselves, attacking the mother of a child shot down in his school is a disgrace.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I wouldn't call it scrutiny I would call it disdain on the border of hatred but I mean how dare this women who lost her child in a shooting massacre do something she see's as constructive with her grief. Its interesting though how yourself and many other posters like to make out that she is being dragged into the public eye. Any links or facts to back up the assumption that the Obama administration is forcing her into this?
    I generally find there is such irrational hatred and fear of Obama, it really doesn't matter what he does, it will be twisted into a way of his so-called desire to overthrow and ruin America. I don't know if it's because he's a Democrat or if it's because he's black (or both), but the hatred and fear of Obama exist for nearly everything he does.

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •