Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 159

Thread: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

  1. #141
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Most states have laws prohibiting harassment of hunters or wildlife. PETA's drones would be breaking both laws.
    Just think of yourselves as celebrities and drones are your paparazzi. It's tough to prove just observing someone in a public place is "harassment".

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Just think of yourselves as celebrities and drones are your paparazzi. It's tough to prove just observing someone in a public place is "harassment".
    Your hunting lodge is a public place? Your hundred acre farm is a public place?

    At least, for now, that is not true.

    FYI, the PETA drone that got shot down was intent on harrassing a pigeon shoot on a private site. It was trespassing. The shoot was legal, drone was not.,

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Just think of yourselves as celebrities and drones are your paparazzi. It's tough to prove just observing someone in a public place is "harassment".
    We are not public figures and thus have a higher legal expectation of privacy. It wouldn't be very hard at all. Try following someone around filming them with a camera and see what happens.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    To those who think PETA shouldn't be watching out for people breaking the law and turning that info over to the police I have two questions:

    Do you think neighborhood watches are wrong?
    Do you think private citizens who monitor the border for illegal crossings (such as the Minutemen) and then notify border patrol are wrong?
    To the people who think that PETA wouldn't use their drones to harass legal hunters and run off whatever they're hunting, do you also believe that unicorns frolic in fields of daisies under rainbows created by spectacular waterfalls?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #145
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    It has already been shown in this thread that PETA's real motive here is to harass ALL hunters. This is a group of unstable people that does despicable things such as target elementary school kids with pamphlets depicting gruesome images of Bambi being killed, then tells them that 'daddy did that'.... Why should we trust the motives of any group of unhinged people like this?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #146
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Dr.Who~ View Post
    people that hunt in this day and age are vermin.

    there is no need to kill whats left of the wild and beautiful..

    of course with the gun mentality america tried and almost wiped out the buffalo and native indian.
    I shoot vermin. Coyotes, wild dogs, ect. are vermin. Hunters aren't. I don't care what you think. I wont have vermin on my property.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,987

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    I usually do not support PETA, as they are usually more interested in "being outrageous" than in actually fixing a problem.

    However, I don't see any problems with this plan.

    Poaching -- as in, illegal hunting -- is a serious problem. It damages the environment, and gives all hunters a bad name. If the government is unwilling or unable to work on the issue, I see no problem with a private organization stepping up.

    And no, there is no legal reason why a private citizen cannot be photographed in a public place. What PETA cannot do is use an identifiable image of a person for commercial purposes. If you're walking down the street or in a park and I take your photo, that action is legal.

    While there is no doubt that PETA opposes all hunting, they are not planning to send drones onto private property, or buzz legal hunters, or commercializing anyone's image without permission. As long as they abide by the rules, there is nothing wrong with this proposed action.

  8. #148
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    I usually do not support PETA, as they are usually more interested in "being outrageous" than in actually fixing a problem.

    However, I don't see any problems with this plan.

    Poaching -- as in, illegal hunting -- is a serious problem. It damages the environment, and gives all hunters a bad name. If the government is unwilling or unable to work on the issue, I see no problem with a private organization stepping up.

    And no, there is no legal reason why a private citizen cannot be photographed in a public place. What PETA cannot do is use an identifiable image of a person for commercial purposes. If you're walking down the street or in a park and I take your photo, that action is legal.

    While there is no doubt that PETA opposes all hunting, they are not planning to send drones onto private property, or buzz legal hunters, or commercializing anyone's image without permission. As long as they abide by the rules, there is nothing wrong with this proposed action.

    No. ocean515 addressed this long ago in the thread here....

    "That is not what they said. According the news article link accompanying this thread they claim the following.

    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is actively shopping for a drone that would "stalk hunters," the organization said Monday.

    The group says it will "soon have some impressive new weapons at its disposal to combat those who gun down deer and doves" and that it is "shopping for one or more drone aircraft with which to monitor those who are out in the woods with death on their minds."

    The group says it will not weaponize the drones, but will use them to film potentially illegal hunting activity and turn it over to law enforcement.


    The operative word is "potentially" illegal hunting.

    "Potentially"? So after buzzing around with a drone, chasing off whatever game might be in the area, and determining all is well, they plan to move on? Yea right.

    Don't put words on this thread that are blatently false.

    When their statement includes the following: "out in the woods with death on their minds", it's quite clear what they are looking to do.

    As to your question, I think the answer is obvious. Why don't you go throw rocks in the water around a bunch of people fishing and tally their response."

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061672215

    This is largely being ignored by people that are using the guise of "illegal" hunting as the premise of their arguments, when PETA has made it more than clear that "ANY" hunter is fair game to them.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #149
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,987

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "Potentially"? So after buzzing around with a drone, chasing off whatever game might be in the area, and determining all is well, they plan to move on? Yea right.
    Unless drones are banned by the FAA, or whoever manages that particular park: You're gonna have drones there anyway. They could be operated by drone enthusiasts, photographers, park management, map services companies, and so forth. Might want to get used to it.

    If PETA interferes with a legal hunt, I'd disapprove of it. Until it actually happens, my sympathies for poachers are basically zero.

    And really, the more I think about it, the less this seems like an actual viable policy and more like a way to get attention. A drone with a 20- or 40-minute flight time won't be all that effective. Your outrage has brought them more attention, which is probably what they really want in the first place. So... good job!

  10. #150
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Unless drones are banned by the FAA, or whoever manages that particular park: You're gonna have drones there anyway. They could be operated by drone enthusiasts, photographers, park management, map services companies, and so forth. Might want to get used to it.

    If PETA interferes with a legal hunt, I'd disapprove of it. Until it actually happens, my sympathies for poachers are basically zero.

    And really, the more I think about it, the less this seems like an actual viable policy and more like a way to get attention. A drone with a 20- or 40-minute flight time won't be all that effective. Your outrage has brought them more attention, which is probably what they really want in the first place. So... good job!

    No, I don't have to "get used to it"....It's little authoritarians like yourself that make the mole hills into mountains.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •