Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 552

Thread: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87 [W:113]

  1. #321
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    LOL, Thatcher was never Prime Minister of Germany or America. She took over a has been country run into the ground by powerful unions and 11 years later left a far healthier country. The same British people you claim she hated had the right to buy their own council homes and 1 in 4 of us had shares in private companies.

    That's not hate - all you're describing is your envy of her acheivements.


    Powerful unions, my American elbow! I do not envy murderous scum, child. Humans don't, you see - they have lived in a culture and know better.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Oh yes, I know what fascism is. Further, I'm skeptical of Wikipedia, and of those who see it as some sort of authority. To be kind, let's just say she loved to associate with and speak highly of, fascists.
    Like Gorbachev?

  3. #323
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And it seems we've discovered one of them here.
    Duw - there's clever!

    And when Mrs Thatcher died
    oh how all the tories cried,
    and they raised five million pound
    just to put her underground!

  4. #324
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Two things you are not allowed to get away with here...

    1. Show where the relevant passages I posted from Wiki are not factual, I am not a fan either, but facts are facts. If you can't disprove what was posted, you yourself, are committing a logical fallacy, and instantly lose the argument.

    2. Show where Thatcher spoke highly of fascists, or associated with them...Otherwise, you have made claims that you can not back up, and lose the argument instantly.

    Thank you.
    Wiki offers a definition. You may accept a definition as a fact, but I do not. I see a definition as a starting point, not a statement of facts. Many false definitions are offered up, and while the one offered by Wiki is sorta kinda close, I don't find it complete.

    Thatcher associated with and spoke highly of Suharto, I think Pinochet, and others of her time that were poor leaders and criminals.

  5. #325
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Powerful unions, my American elbow! I do not envy murderous scum, child. Humans don't, you see - they have lived in a culture and know better.
    I see you're going to ignore the strikes that brought down Ted Heath, Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan.. you're going to ignore people like Aurthur Scargill, Derek Robinson etc.

    You claimed Thatcher "destroyed" Britain - where is your honest appraisal for what happened in the 70's when unions could dictate to Prime Ministers and had a large say in Labour policy?

  6. #326
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Wiki offers a definition. You may accept a definition as a fact, but I do not. I see a definition as a starting point, not a statement of facts. Many false definitions are offered up, and while the one offered by Wiki is sorta kinda close, I don't find it complete.
    I wasn't aware that facts had to meet your standards, (relax, it's a joke), but in any case can you show us what is incomplete about it?

    Thatcher associated with and spoke highly of Suharto, I think Pinochet, and others of her time that were poor leaders and criminals.
    Citations please.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #327
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    She was the worst human being who has ever lived, anywhere, ever.
    People will certainly remember her for the Killing Fields of Lincolnshire.

    or will it be the concentration camps at Colchester and Hammersmith?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #328
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87 [W:113]

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    There is a dichotomy here - if Britons saw her as mean spirited and arrogant, lacking empathy - we wouldn't have voted for her. The milk issue was from 1974 when she stopped free milk for older primary school children. Enough time between 74 and 79 for people to choose not to vote for her if they disagreed this strongly enough. Trouble was Harold Wilson's Labour Govt had stopped free milk for secondary school children 4 years earlier but nobody remembers that. As for the miners and unions - they were election pledges, she campaigned for the popular vote on a manifesto to curb union power.

    You need to extend your reading back to the 70's to see why we were fed up; it wasn't just the winter of discontent in 1978/79 that was the problem - go right back to the problems in British Leyland, read up on working practices (including sleeping on the job) poor management, shoddy goods produced in what people lovingly called "British Industry" of the time - Austin Allegro for starters) the 3 day working week, going cap in hand to the IMF,
    I have actually read a little bit about Baroness Thatcher - how reluctant she was to impose sanctions on the Apartheid regime in South Africa - how highly she regarded Pinochet and his murderous fascist regime - but I am not going to argue this with you. My simple point is that she, like all of us, was both good and bad. She has passed away, I wish her spirit peace, and I consider it bad form to speak ill of the recently departed. A discussion for another time perhaps?

    I leave you with these words by Thomas Gray.

    No further seek his merits to disclose,
    Or draw his frailties from their dread abode,
    (There they alike in trembling hope repose,)
    The bosom of his Father and his God.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  9. #329
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87 [W:113]

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I have actually read a little bit about Baroness Thatcher - how reluctant she was to impose sanctions on the Apartheid regime in South Africa - --
    I bid you adieu but I will leave you FW de Klerk's words on Margaret thatcher in return.

    She will be remembered not only as one of Britain's greatest prime ministers but also as a leader whose policies and approach had a significant impact on politics throughout the world. Although she was always a steadfast critic of apartheid, she had a much better grasp of the complexities and geo-strategic realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries.

  10. #330
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Baroness Thatcher dies, age 87

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    People will certainly remember her for the Killing Fields of Lincolnshire.

    or will it be the concentration camps at Colchester and Hammersmith?
    No one's claiming she was a Hitler, but violent repression was certainly a large part of her modus operandum. This shows you what took place...

    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •