Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #231
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Why do leftists feel that concerns about a child's health is none of a parent's concern when it relates to sex/contraceptives/abortion, no matter the age of the child?
    I wonder if you'll ever make an effort to refute something that someone has actually said
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #232
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,188

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Agreed. The act is not the issue; the pill's safety is my concern. Also, of course, the role of the parents. Not good for little girls to be making medical decisions for themselves by themselves.
    The pill is safer than many other OTC drugs already freely available to them. Most common side effects seen are headache and irregular menstrual bleeding. (period)
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #233
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I wonder if you'll ever make an effort to refute something that someone has actually said
    I refute things you say on a regular basis. It's a waste of my time, admittedly, but someone has to challenge your nonsense.

  4. #234
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The pill is safer than many other OTC drugs already freely available to them. Most common side effects seen are headache and irregular menstrual bleeding. (period)
    Except for a couple of things that are only talked about for those who find out that have issues, which is why we have to get a prescription for birth control from a doctor. One such risk is blood clots. If you have certain blood disorders, that risk can increase a little to significantly depending on which one. Most girls don't know they have those blood disorders, particularly not as teens, because there really aren't any major complications related to them except for reproductive issues, such as heavy periods/cramping, increased risk of blood clots, and increased risk of having a miscarriage if pregnancy occurs. The hormones in birth control, including Plan B, are what cause the increase risk of blood clots.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #235
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except for a couple of things that are only talked about for those who find out that have issues, which is why we have to get a prescription for birth control from a doctor. One such risk is blood clots. If you have certain blood disorders, that risk can increase a little to significantly depending on which one. Most girls don't know they have those blood disorders, particularly not as teens, because there really aren't any major complications related to them except for reproductive issues, such as heavy periods/cramping, increased risk of blood clots, and increased risk of having a miscarriage if pregnancy occurs. The hormones in birth control, including Plan B, are what cause the increase risk of blood clots.
    I'm not sure of this, but I suspect that the risk of blood clots results from daily use of BC, not irregular use.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #236
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,188

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except for a couple of things that are only talked about for those who find out that have issues, which is why we have to get a prescription for birth control from a doctor. One such risk is blood clots. If you have certain blood disorders, that risk can increase a little to significantly depending on which one. Most girls don't know they have those blood disorders, particularly not as teens, because there really aren't any major complications related to them except for reproductive issues, such as heavy periods/cramping, increased risk of blood clots, and increased risk of having a miscarriage if pregnancy occurs. The hormones in birth control, including Plan B, are what cause the increase risk of blood clots.
    The effects of a one-off dose differs from a regular prescription.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #237
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    There's a difference between my assertion that the Obama administration and their friends in the reproduction rights lobby will ensure that the morning after pill is covered under Obamacare and all OTC drugs being covered by insurance. I appreciate that Sangha is too dishonest to admit it but if you're going to jump in and defend his position, you should at least know what you're talking about.

    Just to be clear, HHS has already mandated that the morning after pill has to be covered by insurance policies and was enforced on Catholic institutions during the Sandra Fluke controversy. The article attached refers to just that point. It's why the mandate is being challenged in court.

    Contraceptives and the ACA: Going over the Mandate Cliff | Cato Institute
    Was that before or after the latest decision to make it OTC??? If it was before then your argument is outdated and useless.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #238
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Was that before or after the latest decision to make it OTC??? If it was before then your argument is outdated and useless.
    It doesn't matter if it's covered or not. A teen who doesn't want their parents to know isn't going to have the insurance pay for it because if they do, the parents will find out about when they get an EOB from the insurance company

    It's just another of the many red herrings the emotionally overwrought like to throw on the table to stink up the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #239
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Was that before or after the latest decision to make it OTC??? If it was before then your argument is outdated and useless.
    The HHS decision and the lawsuits were before this court ruling that the morning after pill would be made available OTC. The OTC argument, however, is just a smokescreen thrown up by Sangha, a favorite tactic of his, to divert from the point being made. I never claimed that insurance companies will cover all OTC drugs or anything remotely similar - I simply stated that the reproductive rights lobby and Obama and his HHS will ensure that Obamacare covers free of charge to the patient the provision of the morning after pill.

    Are you going to sit there and tell us now that HHS is going to remove its regulations requiring that the morning after pill be covered free of charge under Obamacare because a court ruled it should be provided to young teens over the counter? Seriously? I'll have to group you with the nonsense Sangha posts if you do.

  10. #240
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm not sure of this, but I suspect that the risk of blood clots results from daily use of BC, not irregular use.
    Actually, it is part of it, but not the only part. The irregular period thing also plays a part. Don't you think women's bodies may not appreciate getting an extra dose of hormones when it isn't supposed to, sometimes either stopping or starting a period before the body is ready?

    And whether you all want to admit this or not, we aren't talking about responsible women here who would only take that one dose once in a great while, but teenaged girls who are more likely to misuse this than slightly older, college age girls who already admit they are.

    Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

    I know someone personally who was using Plan B as her primary birth control method, until she got pregnant. She used it at least 2 times in 3 months and would have used it more if she had had the money (and this is the times I knew of).

    People are lazy and they have grown accustomed to convenience items. Plan B was meant to be an emergency item, not a convenience item. But it's advantages of being able to be used after the fact, vice other birth control methods has made many view it as a convenient method of birth control. This isn't fiction, or in rare cases, it is reality.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •