Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #201
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,759
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good afternoon 2M - haven't seen you around- you're doing well I hope.
    We just haven't been on the same threads. Weather is warming and the Nats are in first place. All is well.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #202
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I wouldn't assume that they'd be worse, either.

    And teens generally don't have that much disposable income to make such purchases on a regular basis. MAPs cost from $10-$70 each

    The Morning-After Pill - Emergency Contraception - Cost & Info
    From Daily Kos (2011):

    Hearing things like “there’s no science showing that Plan B is harmful to underage girls. It’s just birth control & teens need access” seemed solid in logic. However, I don’t agree. My main argument against this reason is look at the history of women’s birth control, i.e. - the pill. As it ushered in an unprecedented force in the woman’s movement and the sexual revolution; it had its problems too. The cheers of the pill’s ability to make decisions about child birth a true women’s issue (i.e. - they controlled their fertility) was nothing short of amazing. Science, making things happen!!! However, there is a dark cloud to that story. Even now, there are tons of testimonials from women who suffer from non functional libidos due to the pills hormones. Non-hormonal IUDs are now very popular for that reason. The pill, originally designed to help regulate a woman’s fertility, was now causing women serious side effects, some of which were irreversible. So lets fast forward and get back to Plan B.

    As I said before, I am all for Plan B for women. I think its a great option for those moments (hopefully rare) that traditional birth control or clear heads fail. Also, the sentiment that it can prevent the possibility of a child being conceived from rape is one I 100% agree with. The issue for me is we don’t really know what would happen to young girls who may take this pill numerous times while they are still developing. Just like the birth control pill now, we are still battling back and forth about its LONG TERM EFFECTS. This is what matters to me. If we find that sterility, for example, happens what do we tell a generation of women then? As Condi Rice was famously said, “who could have seen that one coming?” So the cautious approach of 16 or younger girls have to get someone else to get it for them is in my opinion reasonable.

    Daily Kos: Plan B Debate

  3. #203
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,339

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Somehow, this fails to surprise me! I just hope I'm not becoming accustomed to the way things are going...

  4. #204
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From Daily Kos (2011):

    Hearing things like “there’s no science showing that Plan B is harmful to underage girls. It’s just birth control & teens need access” seemed solid in logic. However, I don’t agree. My main argument against this reason is look at the history of women’s birth control, i.e. - the pill. As it ushered in an unprecedented force in the woman’s movement and the sexual revolution; it had its problems too. The cheers of the pill’s ability to make decisions about child birth a true women’s issue (i.e. - they controlled their fertility) was nothing short of amazing. Science, making things happen!!! However, there is a dark cloud to that story. Even now, there are tons of testimonials from women who suffer from non functional libidos due to the pills hormones. Non-hormonal IUDs are now very popular for that reason. The pill, originally designed to help regulate a woman’s fertility, was now causing women serious side effects, some of which were irreversible. So lets fast forward and get back to Plan B.

    As I said before, I am all for Plan B for women. I think its a great option for those moments (hopefully rare) that traditional birth control or clear heads fail. Also, the sentiment that it can prevent the possibility of a child being conceived from rape is one I 100% agree with. The issue for me is we don’t really know what would happen to young girls who may take this pill numerous times while they are still developing. Just like the birth control pill now, we are still battling back and forth about its LONG TERM EFFECTS. This is what matters to me. If we find that sterility, for example, happens what do we tell a generation of women then? As Condi Rice was famously said, “who could have seen that one coming?” So the cautious approach of 16 or younger girls have to get someone else to get it for them is in my opinion reasonable.

    Daily Kos: Plan B Debate
    I didn't read the entire link; just what you quoted

    I agree that there should be more research into the long term effects. That should happen for every drug. Nevertheless, all sorts of drugs come onto the market without adequate testing of the long-term effects.

    However, that (not knowing) isn't a reason to restrict the use by teens. It never has been, so I don't see why we should apply special standards simply because the issue is sexually related.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #205
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    "Special" standards do apply when you're talking about hormones and the developing body. We don't know what the long-term effects are...but many of us remember how RU-86 was considered low-risk...unless it wasn't. Mifepristone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #206
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    "Special" standards do apply when you're talking about hormones and the developing body. We don't know what the long-term effects are...but many of us remember how RU-86 was considered low-risk...unless it wasn't. Mifepristone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I don't know what you're referring to when you say that special standards do apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #207
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I didn't read the entire link; just what you quoted

    I agree that there should be more research into the long term effects. That should happen for every drug. Nevertheless, all sorts of drugs come onto the market without adequate testing of the long-term effects.

    However, that (not knowing) isn't a reason to restrict the use by teens. It never has been, so I don't see why we should apply special standards simply because the issue is sexually related.
    If the drug hasn't been tested on teens how can you so cavalierly dismiss the possibility of serious side effects for young teens that don't manifest in adults? Ever hear about the deaths of many children related to taking aspirin and Reyes Syndrome? A woman I worked with many years ago was a single mom with a 12 yr old daughter. One day she left the girl with her father, the girl's grandfather, and the girl complained about a headache and the grandfather innocently gave the girl some aspirin and within a day the girl's brain literally exploded and she was dead. The girl's mother was obviously shattered and took many years to recover and the grandfather never did recover from the guilt.

  8. #208
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If the drug hasn't been tested on teens how can you so cavalierly dismiss the possibility of serious side effects for young teens that don't manifest in adults? Ever hear about the deaths of many children related to taking aspirin and Reyes Syndrome? A woman I worked with many years ago was a single mom with a 12 yr old daughter. One day she left the girl with her father, the girl's grandfather, and the girl complained about a headache and the grandfather innocently gave the girl some aspirin and within a day the girl's brain literally exploded and she was dead. The girl's mother was obviously shattered and took many years to recover and the grandfather never did recover from the guilt.
    I read until the part where you dishonestly claim I have dismissed the possibility of side effects.

    As I said earlier, irrational and unreasonable people will allow their emotionalism to lead them into seeing things that are not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #209
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I read until the part where you dishonestly claim I have dismissed the possibility of side effects.

    As I said earlier, irrational and unreasonable people will allow their emotionalism to lead them into seeing things that are not there.
    And ideologues throw caution to the wind, consequences be damned, in the pursuit of their goals.

  10. #210
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know what you're referring to when you say that special standards do apply.
    I mean that children are special. Listen to the TV commercials that advise of constraints--e.g. not to be taken if under 18. Children's bodies are not the same as adults, and pubescents girls' hormones aren't the same either.

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •