Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #181
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Should minors be able to purchase Plan B?
    The judge compared ability to purchase the "morning after" pill to buying acetaminophin with "no questions asked." That's problematic.

    There are side effects to Plan B. As an adult, I think I could tolerate them, but I don't know about a kid whose body is still developing. Plan B (Morning-After Pill): Effectiveness and Side Effects

    There is tremendous potential for abuse. I can see kids developing the habit of taking a pill every time they think they're going to have sex. Have tests been done to determine what the typical effects of Plan B are for little girls who are still growing who might take these pills every week or more than once a week?

  2. #182
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    The judge compared ability to purchase the "morning after" pill to buying acetaminophin with "no questions asked." That's problematic.

    There are side effects to Plan B. As an adult, I think I could tolerate them, but I don't know about a kid whose body is still developing. Plan B (Morning-After Pill): Effectiveness and Side Effects

    There is tremendous potential for abuse. I can see kids developing the habit of taking a pill every time they think they're going to have sex. Have tests been done to determine what the typical effects of Plan B are for little girls who are still growing who might take these pills every week or more than once a week?
    Since the side effects are unpleasant, I don't see much danger of teens using it as a substitute for more appropriate BC. And then there's the cost factor
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Do we know what the side effects are for little girls? I wouldn't assume that they would necessarily be the same as an adult woman's, particularly if severe.

    What cost factor? If it's over-the-counter and readily available, how expensive will it ultimately be?

  4. #184
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Do we know what the side effects are for little girls? I wouldn't assume that they would necessarily be the same as an adult woman's, particularly if severe.

    What cost factor? If it's over-the-counter and readily available, how expensive will it ultimately be?
    And I wouldn't assume that they'd be worse, either.

    And teens generally don't have that much disposable income to make such purchases on a regular basis. MAPs cost from $10-$70 each

    The Morning-After Pill - Emergency Contraception - Cost & Info
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #185
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Gosh, this is such a complicated situation. I agree with a lot of what you say CanadaJohn, that it is surely a sign of a deeper issue when a 13 year old is having sex and using the abortion pill, and she probably needs a LOT more than just a pill.

    At the same time, though, I think about 13 year olds having unwanted babies, and that at least is something we can try to put a stop to.
    I absolutely agree with your last statement, however, I fail to see how allowing a 13 yr old to act on her own in such circumstances helps her grow and learn and get the help she needs as she develops into a woman. I'm totally opposed to letting 13 yr olds grow up on their own and sink or swim without guidance in such serious matters.

  6. #186
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Should minors be able to purchase Plan B?
    Yes. Already the pro life, abstinence only crowd is screaming in my state.

    If you can't handle talking to your kids about having sex, then you're not fit to be parent.

    And if your kid needs Plan B, you should know about it.


    Those parents really tick me off. My mom talked to me about sex, and I told which one of my friends were sexually active. She always said she wouldn't have a problem putting me on birthcontrol, and it didn't make me eager to have sex.

    I wasn't a pregnant teen either.


    Any parent that complains about this and sex education is not a responsible parent. Please take care of your kids and educate them.

  7. #187
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I wouldn't assume that they'd be worse, either.

    And teens generally don't have that much disposable income to make such purchases on a regular basis. MAPs cost from $10-$70 each

    The Morning-After Pill - Emergency Contraception - Cost & Info
    I wouldn't be too worried about the cost angle - the reproductive rights people who brought this case and their friends in the Obama administration and HHS will ensure that the pills are "free" under Obamacare - just an extension of the "Fluke" rule.

  8. #188
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the cost angle - the reproductive rights people who brought this case and their friends in the Obama administration and HHS will ensure that the pills are "free" under Obamacare - just an extension of the "Fluke" rule.
    People who realize that their position and emotionalism are not supported by the facts will often make things up

    For example, they'll imagine that OTC drugs are covered by health insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #189
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    People who realize that their position and emotionalism are not supported by the facts will often make things up

    For example, they'll imagine that OTC drugs are covered by health insurance.
    And naive people underestimate the political power and influence of the reproductive rights lobby with this administration.

  10. #190
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    People who realize that their position and emotionalism are not supported by the facts will often make things up

    For example, they'll imagine that OTC drugs are covered by health insurance.
    Crony Contraception: The Maker of the “Plan B” Pill Has Strong Ties to HHS. | AgainstCronyCapitalism.org

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •